Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
OMG, you must live in my neighborhood. The clerks at my Fred Meyer store (Kroger) describe the customers as 'snobs and slobs'. Actually many food stamp users are better dressed than the typical customer.
My kroger sits on the border between posh old money and million dollar tear downs and "gentrifying" areas with decent 4 BR houses for $100k. Within a few blocks of each other. Guess which side I live on?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We're fortunate to live in northern Calif, and buy fish in season from a local fishing family that has a store here in town (inland) We so look forward to Salmon season! That said, we've learned to eat seasonally from them, having Dungeness Crab in the Winter, sable fish, rock cod, petrale sole and other assorted fishi the rest of the year. I like the variety, and sometimes I do get burned out in the Fall on Salmon and am ready for a change. I will have to try the Costco Salmon and see. We've gotten nice Halibut there too.
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just another comment. I see a number of posters who seem to be somewhat put off by "frozen" fish. I think it's important to know that most big commercial fishing boats will flash freeze their catch immediately, and it does no harm. In fact, freezing fish at a very low temperature for several days is a very good way to eliminate any parasites that might be present.
+1

My uncle who ran a rather successful seafood restaurant laughed at the "I won't eat frozen fish" folks. He said unless you're within 20 miles of where the fish are caught, you probably want the frozen instead of the fresh if quality and freshness is important to you. And beyond that, so much "fresh" is really already frozen.

I'm a little jealous of the good fishmongers. The closest we have (beyond Kroger which is pretty good) are all the Asian and some hispanic supermarkets where you can pick your own live fish and have them gutted in front of you. Sometimes it's still twitching when you're walking out the door - that's a good way to make sure it's fresh.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I can catch my own, sockeye and coho varieties a few hundred yards off the beach.

Though I prefer the taste of lingcod. Easier to catch too. When does fishing season open? Getting antsy.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just another comment. I see a number of posters who seem to be somewhat put off by "frozen" fish. I think it's important to know that most big commercial fishing boats will flash freeze their catch immediately, and it does no harm. In fact, freezing fish at a very low temperature for several days is a very good way to eliminate any parasites that might be present.
+2

I actually prefer to buy my fish frozen if it's shipped from far away. And if it's been professionally frozen I know I can cook it to be rare which I like.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I do not eat Atlantic Salmon which is always farmed.

We lived for 15 years on a bluff overlooking a salmon farming operation in a waterway that 'flushes' very well (the current is swift and changes direction with the tides). Husband dove in the area around the pens before we built our home, then he dove again 10 years later. The impact on the sea bed was stunning, the sea cucumber decimated by the waste from the fish and fish feed.

Farmed salmon are fed pellets made from fish processing 'awful' and contain a red dye.

The other issue is that the fish farming operations claim that the fish are neutered and to not mate with the wild salmon, however, genetic tests on wild salmon in British Columbia raise doubts.
+1. I won't touch farm-raised salmon, for the reasons cited above.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #27

Buying fish is hard. It's one of the hardest things to buy if you want "good" and "responsible". That's why I leave it to DW. Then I can plug my ears and say "la la la la" when threads like this come up.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

We read up on seafood safety/sustainability guidelines pretty often.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #29

Just saw an ad for Aldi's "wild caught salmon" 32 ounce frozen with skin on, boneless. $7.49 for the package, meaning $3.75 per pound. Not a bad price. Think I will pick some up and try it.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #30

I have been eating salmon since I could chew having grown up in Oregon. This recipe is easy and pretty foolproof. Amazingly good!

Sweet Spicy Fish - Recipe - Cooks.com
Old 02-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Just avoid Salmon Ella...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #32

The other problem with farm-raised salmon (for me, anyway) is that the Omega 3 content of the fish is far less than wild salmon. I like the taste of salmon, but I also eat it for the health benefits (Omega 3, primarily), so wild salmon is my preference. Also, the beautiful pink color of wild salmon comes from the foods they eat........the pink color of farmed salmon comes from an artificial coloring agent in the pellets they are fed. I try to minimize that kind of stuff in my diet.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Just avoid Salmon Ella...
Thanks for that special advice HWFR!
Old 02-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
I have been eating salmon since I could chew having grown up in Oregon. This recipe is easy and pretty foolproof. Amazingly good!

Sweet Spicy Fish - Recipe - Cooks.com
Yes! This is the way to treat salmon! And the main thing is, don't overcook it!
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:41 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
The other problem with farm-raised salmon (for me, anyway) is that the Omega 3 content of the fish is far less than wild salmon. I like the taste of salmon, but I also eat it for the health benefits (Omega 3, primarily), so wild salmon is my preference. Also, the beautiful pink color of wild salmon comes from the foods they eat........the pink color of farmed salmon comes from an artificial coloring agent in the pellets they are fed. I try to minimize that kind of stuff in my diet.
From what I have the read carotenoid pigment they feed farmed salmon, is the same astaxanthin type carotenoid pigments the salmon and crustaceans get from their food in the wild. In both cases the color comes from the food. Of course the feed details depend on the supplier - you have to pay attention to the sources used by your retail vendor.

It's great if someone has access to a wide variety of wild salmon. Not all of us do. So the question becomes - do you just not eat salmon?

Quote:
Striking a Balance

Avoiding fish is certainly one way to avoid mercury or PCBs. But is that the wisest choice, given the benefits of eating fish? Drs. Mozaffarian and Rimm put this in perspective in their analysis in the Journal of the American Medical Association. (1) First, reviewing data from the Environmental Protection Agency and elsewhere, they calculated that if 100,000 people ate farmed salmon twice a week for 70 years, the extra PCB intake could potentially cause 24 extra deaths from cancer—but would prevent at least 7,000 deaths from heart disease. Second, levels of PCBs and dioxins in fish are very low, similar to levels in meats, dairy products, and eggs. Third, more than 90 percent of the PCBs and dioxins in the U.S. food supply come from such non-seafood sources, including meats, dairy, eggs, and vegetables. So, given these limited health effects, low levels in fish, and major sources from other foods, the levels of PCBs and dioxins in fish should not influence your decision about which fish to eat (just as it does not influence your decision about whether or not to eat vegetables, meats, dairy products, or eggs, the major sources of PCBs and dioxins). One exception: if you eat local freshwater fish caught by friends or family, it makes sense to consult local advisories about the amounts of such fish you should eat.
and a lot more at Fish: Friend or Foe? | The Nutrition Source | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Honestly, from some of the comments, I get the impression that some folks hold salmon sources to a much higher standard than they hold their beef, dairy, pork, poultry, etc., or land-based fish farms and land farming/agriculture in general.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Those of us in the NW, Alaska, develop strong opinions about salmon farms. I have no issue with land based fish farms IF the species is native to the nearby waterways because escapement is common. There are some fish farming operations in warehouses where one would expect escapement would not be an issue.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I would not knowingly eat the salmon you listed because it is partially grain fed.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess I've been living the Golden Corral of salmon - I buy the $4.97 one pound frozen bag at Walmart (four fillets) - throw them in a big Pyrex, put some butter on top and a bunch of lemon pepper, cover and microwave for 7 minutes and I've been pretty happy with how it turns out.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Honestly, from some of the comments, I get the impression that some folks hold salmon sources to a much higher standard than they hold their beef, dairy, pork, poultry, etc., or land-based fish farms and land farming/agriculture in general.
Actually, I try to hold most foods that I consume to the same high standards, although I admit it would be difficult for everyone to do what I do. I do buy all the beef and lamb we eat from local farmer friends, in addition to most of the chicken we eat, and all of the eggs we eat. So, I know how these animals are raised, and what they are fed. I also eat wild game (deer, etc) that I harvest, and wild fish that I catch in local lakes. I love seafood, but I eat only wild Gulf shrimp, not farmed shrimp (for many reasons, including the ecological damage caused by shrimp farms). I avoid buying GMO grains and vegetables whenever possible (sometimes this is an educated guess......we need a law that requires labeling of these products, so we know for sure what they are!). I grow a big vegetable garden, and so a fairly large percentage of the veggies that I eat every year come from my own garden and soil.

Again, I don't expect everyone to eat like I eat, but I do have high standards for the food I consume, both from land and sea.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
Yes! This is the way to treat salmon! And the main thing is, don't overcook it!
Yeah, that^^^

I use the one-third rule for grilling salmon: top and bottom slightly done, with the center pink.

Haven't looked recently, but my local Costco used to carry frozen wild-caught sockeye.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote