San Antonio, dream retirement town

Enuf

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm visiting for a few days and loving it here. River Walk, Alamo, Market Square, what a nice town to retire in.

Keep the secret. A local said that the last rattlesnake left here in the 70's and scorpions are completely docile. People keep em for pets.

I loved the Alamo and the park. Alamo

Meals all over downtown for $3.99 lunch, Chinese, Mexican, deli, nice. Hospital is super modern and great air con.

River Walk has a duck gaggle to rival On Golden Pond.

Great town to move to.

Gaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!

I suppose the rattlesnake I killed in my front yard on Wednesday was just imaginary....

Time for a refresher: Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, staggering homeowner insurance rates, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees (per Orchidflower).

Last edited:
I'm from NYC and I was welcomed with open arms. A maraschino band welcomed me at the airport.

Those other things you mention are everywhere these days.

I love San Antonio. Love it. Lots of character and the Mexican ladies are fine. Fine.

Fire ants can be a great marital aide.

I'm visiting for a few days and loving it here. River Walk, Alamo, Market Square, what a nice town to retire in.
I agree, it is a nice place to visit...
A local said that the last rattlesnake left here in the 70's and scorpions are completely docile. People keep em for pets.
You can't be serious. Was that "local" sitting under a downtown overpass gripping a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag? Thought so..
I loved the Alamo and the park. Alamo
Did the tour guide tell you why they built it downtown?
Meals all over downtown for $3.99 lunch, Chinese, Mexican, deli, nice.
Didn't get a look at their health score reports did you?
Hospital is super modern and great air con.
Didn't think so...
Peking Duck on the hoof...
Great town to move to.
See above...

I agree, it is a nice place to visit...

You can't be serious. Was that "local" sitting under a downtown overpass gripping a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag? Thought so..

Did the tour guide tell you why they built it downtown?

Didn't get a look at their health score reports did you?

Didn't think so...

Peking Duck on the hoof...

See above...

Nice places to visit are just the place a retiree should live. More visitors, more dance partners, more drinking partners, more xxx patners. Olay.

The local was a Franciscan priest in Travis Park. He was shocked that anyone would equate rattlesnakes with possible harm. God's creatures and all that. But those $3.99 food places did have higher health scores than I like to see.

A diner too clean is scary. Means the staff is spending way more time washing up and less time with the cooking. There is just so much bleach and ammonia that a person can eat when dining out. I say, let me eat food, not chemicals.

I'm more than positive that San Antonio is the place to be. They even have a bacon festival coming up.

I'm more than positive that San Antonio is the place to be. They even have a bacon festival coming up.

img_709057_0_2b274ca844aba45c7040d2b173d01b92.jpg

Hey mods!!! Enuf's account has been pirated by the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce!

Spammin' b@stards...

San Antonio is so sophisticated and suave that they don't Spam, they Quiche. Very upscale place. But they do slather it with Pace.

I like San Antonio, it's a happening "festival" town. Every last Saturday of the month, partay time on Houston. Woo hoooo. Don't miss it.

Got my editor alerted, writing an article called, "Texas, a retiree's dream".

img_709062_0_2b274ca844aba45c7040d2b173d01b92.jpg

Hey mods!!! Enuf's account has been pirated by the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce!

Spammin' b@stards...

Got my editor alerted, writing an article called, "Texas, a retiree's dream".
Enuf, have you no common decency? Think of the innocent retirees lives that you could destroy.

Hrumphhh. You're probably one of those people who has a financial advisor and buys annuities...

Enuf, have you no common decency? Think of the innocent retirees lives that you could destroy.

Hrumphhh. You're probably one of those people who has a financial advisor and buys annuities...

I have just the last 2 days discovered my roots. Texas. My calling is to lead the flocks here to settle this fertile place.

These are words of David Crockett, and I second his emotions.

This is the first I have had an opertunity to write you with convinience I am now blessed with excellent health and am in high spirits although I have had many difficulties to encounter I have got through Safe and have been received by everybody with open cerimony of friendship I am hailed with harty welcom to this country. A dinner and a party of ladys have honored me with an invitation to partisapate both at Nacing doches [Nacogdoches]3 and at this place The Cannon was fired here on my arival and I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and best prospects for health I ever saw and I do so believe it is a fortune to any man to come here. There is a world of country to Settle.

To that I say, hear hear.

Come to Texas, find the garden spot of the world. My financial advice will be available for a moderate fee. See my site, www.Texasannuities.com.

One more reason to come to Texas, lots of variety to chose from. I'm a converted Texian. God's country, and I'm loving it. I feel relieved to finally find the retirees dream home. Going out tomorrow and buy myself a Twelve Gallon hat, some extinct rattlesnake boots, and a set of spurs. Maybe a turquoise belt buckle.

I just had dinner over at Mi Tierra and I'm convinced that San Antonio has the best Mexican food in the US. One wonders, "what haven't we got here in San Antonio?". It's all here.

Come one, come all.

Also, see my site on www.sanantoniotranny.com

She? Looks like [-]Tranny[/-] Travis Park claimed another victim. :(

Gaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!

Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, staggering homeowner insurance rates, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees (per Orchidflower).

And one grumpy RE guy?

Time for a refresher: Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, staggering homeowner insurance rates, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees (per Orchidflower).

Awwww thanks Rew. What a nice warm welcome for all our evacuees from south Mississippi. Ike will be here by the middle of next week so we will arrive no later than next Tuesday. We will feel right at home.:)

One of my good friends took an assignment to San Antonio at the end of his career with the Federal Government. He worked that job for about 4 years and then retired there. He and his wife like it very much. That actually surprised me as he was originally from the DC area and she was from Canada.

loved the Alamo and the park. Alamo
Meals all over downtown for $3.99 lunch, Chinese, Mexican, deli, nice. Hospital is super modern and great air con.

Great town to move to.

In addition to visiting my friend there, I spent a wee bit of time in San Antonio on business trips. I would only caution one thing, since you seem to be so enamored of the River Walk and the Alamo. How often do you think you will visit those places if you were to become a resident there? If your experience is like mine, I suspect not often. (My experience is from Baltimore where the Inner Harbor, Little Italy, Ft. McHenry, etc. are really impressive sites when you visit there. But I ended up moving there and found that after the first few trips to those locations, I only went there when I had out of town guests.)

So my only point is this: don't judge a place as a potential place to retire solely on the neat stuff you see there as a tourist.

My parents retired to San Antonio. It's pretty much been a no-go zone for me since.

My parents also retired in San Antonio about 30 years ago. The cost of living is very low, beyond that they regret it, but they're too old (in their view) to move again. Mostly they can't take the heat, in the summer it's pretty much unbearable outside much of the time...

How's that humidity working for you? I see it is about 83% today.
The only problem with SA is that it is in Texas and miles away from anything.

Back
Top Bottom