Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Scaling back lifestyles
Old 01-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
I firmly believe this, and in many cases, you can bring the world to you through travel videos, books, audio guides and of course, the Internet.
If I ever replace travel with books, audio guides or the internet forget ER, please just shoot me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We're still 4-6 years out from RE but part of the process was scaling back the home over a year ago from 2500 to 1100 sqft townhome. A little bit of pain reducing stuff but overall quite liberating in the long run.

The home size reduction seems to be a recurring theme in this thread eh?

Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #23

i'm still trying to catch my breath from the guy who downsized to a penthouse .

pretty much the only difference here will be that now i have to bother picking up the check instead of tagging along with mommy. probably my lifestyle will rev up a small bit rather than scale back. but i totally preferred the way it was. er is too much w*rk.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
What's the point of ERing if you can't afford to travel?

Maybe you can do part time work to fill out the travel budget.

Audrey
Why is travel such a high priority with ER folks? Aren't there other goals or activities/pursuits that people would like to have time for, if they weren't working 8 to 6 (the current working schedule for stiffs these days)? For me, I like being semi-ER so that I can pursue my art, but also so that I can be relaxed, take hikes whenever I like, and not be stressed and bored to death by a JOB. I find plenty to do with my life, without traveling the globe. I'm not saying that I don't plan to do some great traveling. Just curious why ERetirement = travel.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #25
Administrator

Travel really doesn't float my boat, either. My dream is to establish roots, the antithesis of the desire to travel. I want to explore closer to my retirement home. I'd like to go back to school, but if that is too expensive I can study on my own.

When I retire, I don't think I'll need to scale back much. I plan to move to an area with a lower cost of living. My wants and needs are pretty modest.

Still, I'll have more time to shop, so I'll have to be careful about that!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
We downsized from a large home to a 2000 sq.ft. penthouse.
Which, IIRC, is in Vancouver. Hopefully above the treeline. Have you had any storm damage?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

I'm another who doesn't care for travel. I haven't been further than 20 or so miles in years.

That's not to say I never will, but for now no interest.

I like my own house, my own bed, and my own schedule.

Add airsickness and arthritis and dislike of crowds, and I personally don't see the attraction.

To each his own.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Went to bed at 9:30 last night and just got up 10 minutes ago, just before 9:00am. I like my own house, own bed and own schedule, but this better not become a habit.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #29

Quote:
I'm another who doesn't care for travel. I haven't been further than 20 or so miles in years.

That's not to say I never will, but for now no interest.

Add airsickness and arthritis and dislike of crowds, and I personally don't see the attraction.

To each his own.
Interesting. From reading your profile I see I'm about 9 years younger than you and your comments seem to bear out some of the reasoning behind my plan to RE and travel before I get much older. My 65 year-old aunt, who still travels the world regularly, asked me what I meant when I recently told her "I want to make sure I get some of this traveling done before I turn 52." My reply was that I didn't want to wait until I was older and find that I had lost my spirit of adventure or that the thought of leaving the comforts of home was unbearable.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Which, IIRC, is in Vancouver. Hopefully above the treeline. Have you had any storm damage?
Yes the nineteenth floor is above the treeline! We are directly across from the worst damage zone in Stanley Park. One of our 200 pound privot tree planters was blown over (twice) now braced with wood. Lattice work has been torn off the pergola. A few terracotta pots have been blown onto the patio and smashed.

All the patio furniture is tied down. We are headed to Mexico for 2 months tomorrow. The repairs will make a small project this spring.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Huh?
I'll be scaling forward/up my lifestyle.
From an 18ft mono sailboat to a 34ft cat.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Interesting. From reading your profile I see I'm about 9 years younger than you and your comments seem to bear out some of the reasoning behind my plan to RE and travel before I get much older. My 65 year-old aunt, who still travels the world regularly, asked me what I meant when I recently told her "I want to make sure I get some of this traveling done before I turn 52." My reply was that I didn't want to wait until I was older and find that I had lost my spirit of adventure or that the thought of leaving the comforts of home was unbearable.
This is the attitude I'm curious about. Why is it commonly thought that people who don't care for travel have lost the spirit of adventure? What about the adventure of exploring your inner self? I am exploring Buddhism, for example. I would love to go to Bhutan but traveling there is not what I would consider an adventure. Challenging myself by getting outside my comfort zone can take many forms, not all of them are physical, some are spiritual, psychological. Being adventurous to me takes a lot more effort than buying a plane ticket and a hotel room in a foreign country., however fun that would be.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, I have my own house, and my own bed. They happen to be on wheels! So I get to do BOTH - travel continuously but be "home" all the time.

The schedule however - that seems to be totally out of my control most of the time. However, that's a big part of the appeal of this kind of adventure. Never a dull moment!

Audrey
Old 01-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
The schedule however - that seems to be totally out of my control most of the time.
Audrey, I'm a little confused. How the heck can the schedule be totally out of your control MOST of the time? I thought the point was to not have a schedule.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
Why is travel such a high priority with ER folks? Aren't there other goals or activities/pursuits that people would like to have time for, if they weren't working 8 to 6 (the current working schedule for stiffs these days)? For me, I like being semi-ER so that I can pursue my art, but also so that I can be relaxed, take hikes whenever I like, and not be stressed and bored to death by a JOB. I find plenty to do with my life, without traveling the globe. I'm not saying that I don't plan to do some great traveling. Just curious why ERetirement = travel.
Good point. Just a stereotype thing I suppose. I've personally never met anyone that said "I can't wait to ER so I never have to go anywhere."

And fine by me, I hate tourists........even when I am one.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

That would be me. I logged about four million miles in the air and havent set foot in an airport since I retired.

Wouldnt mind it if I never did again, although I'll probably be taking my son on some trips when he's a little older.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
Audrey, I'm a little confused. How the heck can the schedule be totally out of your control MOST of the time? I thought the point was to not have a schedule.
Well, OK. I guess you can say that we don't have a schedule!

But what I meant was - we almost never have any idea where we're going to be 48 hours from now, or what we will actually be doing on any given day. That is actually a pretty fun way to live if you are willing to roll with the punches. We've had a lot of major changes in plans due to a parent's illness as well as some some nasty service "surprises" with the motorhome. We finally got smart and gave up planning anything! The truth is that you can have a lot of fun no matter where you end up.

Audrey
Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Went to bed at 9:30 last night and just got up 10 minutes ago, just before 9:00am. I like my own house, own bed and own schedule, but this better not become a habit.
Maybe you're just flushing months of chronic fatigue out of your system... besides, at that latitude you're still going to bed at sundown and getting up at sunrise, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
If I ever replace travel with books, audio guides or the internet forget ER, please just shoot me.
The point isn't to replace one or the other-- it's to have a choice.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
This is the attitude I'm curious about. Why is it commonly thought that people who don't care for travel have lost the spirit of adventure? What about the adventure of exploring your inner self? I am exploring Buddhism, for example. I would love to go to Bhutan but traveling there is not what I would consider an adventure. Challenging myself by getting outside my comfort zone can take many forms, not all of them are physical, some are spiritual, psychological. Being adventurous to me takes a lot more effort than buying a plane ticket and a hotel room in a foreign country., however fun that would be.
I agree, I don't see much adventure in flying somewhere and crashing in the local tourist hotel. Although I agree that the hazardous/challenging naure of an adventure can include something that is mostly intellectual, in the context that I was speaking, I was particularly referring to physical discomfort and risks.

My aunt, who is an old babe herself by the way, took exception with my wording as well, alhough for somewhat different reasons. She's been a world traveler since she was in her early 20's and is now 65. In fact, before she came here for a visit she had been visiting friends in Europe for a couple of weeks. She also scoffed at my comment, but she's a seasoned traveler who is very comfortable with it. I explained that we could travel together and enjoy her idea of adventure - museum trips, historic sites, great restaurants, and quaint villages - but I don't think she would want to take a ten mile hike with me and the kids as we see the sites along the remnants of the Appian Way.

Now, at age 47, I don't see anything insurmountable about a trip down the rapids of the middle fork of the Salmon River. I hope that when I'm 67 I will be able and willing to do the same thing with my then teenage grandkids. But, I'm not real confident about how enthused (or able) I'm going to be to drag my gray headed self into a raft and shoot the rapids when I'm 77 or 87.

I guess we have to define adventure as something challenging that we want to do, and an ordeal is something challenging that we would hate.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #40

Quote:
River: One Man's Journey Down the Colorado, Source to Sea
AUTHOR: Colin Fletcher
ISBN: 0375701826
SHORT DESCRIPTION: At age sixty-seven, Colin Fletcher, the guru of backpacking in America, undertook a rigorous six-month raft expedition down the full length of the Colorado River--alone. He needed "something to pare the fat off my soul...to make me grateful,...
I love your definition of adventure vs ordeal, Leonidas. Don't be too sure about the age thing, though. My favorite backpacking friend is 76 this year -- he can still kick my 49-year-old butt on a 50-mile backpack through the canyons of Utah.