Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

wow you guys are creative

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

The color of my hair.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried btdt2 for been-there-done-that-too but had to add a second 2 to get there
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourning View Post
It is made up of 4 words with each two letters being the beginning of a word. on/sh/on/ki. Can anyone figure it out? Think war, military, guns.
One shot one kill
Old 02-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Ko'olau is my favorite mountain range - Windward side of Oahu.

Glad pb4uski cleared that up for me (and previously in one of the screen name threads.) I had always read it as "lead for youski" possibly signifying a threat as in "I've got a bullet for you." Funny how our brains work (or sometimes overwork.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I first joined my DW had recently died and I had committed to building a home at the end of 18 miles of mountain back roads, mostly dirt, and helping out a a kid's camp next door. The name seemed appropriate at the time. Still does. I have since retired, moved from Virginia to Colorado, and am in the slow process of building my home.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

My name is Bob and I'm from Philly but bob-philly was taken.

Ok not really.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #28

I have about 25 years experience in designing, building, and running emulsion polymerization plants for synthetic latex. These latex products are used in the architectural coating, caulk, sealant, adhesive, and textile markets. Thus, my handle. It has nothing to do with any kind of fetish or kinky hobby! Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #29

The quality of life experienced is in direct proportion to the quantity and quality of options one has.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Initials and favorite number (all my forum sites).
Old 02-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

the funniest (but probably most tasteless) sn I've ever seen is milkcartonkid
Old 02-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I was a Chief in the USCG, my date of rank was April 1, 2002 (04/01/02,) the extra 2 wouldn't fit on another website so I just used 04010 after the Chief. When I came to this website I decided to use the same screen name.
chief04010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #33

My college mascot plus a number of some significance in my Navy career (but you'll have to break that code yourself.)
Old 02-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

We've discussed this before (and that wasn't even the first time!)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Meadbh: powerful redheaded queen in ancient Ireland
Current avatar: retirement nestegg (no interpretation required)
Signature: none
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #35

I use two:

nash031: two favorite basketball players are Steve Nash and Reggie Miller. Friends I played with in my early 20s thought I played like Steve Nash (obviously not as well, just similar in style) and I'm short and white, so they called me "Nash". However nash31 was taken on Yahoo! fifteen years ago, so...

gr8indoorsman: My favorite bar in college was known as "The Home of the Great Indoorsman", but greatindoorsman was too long for the first forum on which I used it, so...

The second one is ironic considering I'm anything but an "indoorsman" as my avatar may let on, let alone a great one.

I've used a few other pen names and such when writing for underground publications and on the very few games I've ever played online (CoD, etc.), one of which was a random word selected from the dictionary which was just the name of an unusual capsicum pepper variety found in New Mexico. I just thought it was a cool word for a pen name...
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #36

When people call for me it's what they say.

A good Hendrix tune too.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine is indicative of my investing philosophy.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Well....

Actually DH called me this once in a financial sense when I convinced him to move most of his megacorp retirement money (I think it was still called "profit sharing" back then) out of company stock and into other options as soon as the plan offered them. That turned out well. So it seemed like a good user name for a website devoted to FIRE.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #39
gone traveling

You got it arky.

After 25 years of being retired, one thing that can irk me is meeting someone who keeps talking about their past job. 'In my past life, I was X'. I think picking a handle that refers to your past might indicate such a tendency. Whaddaya think? Is there some psychological signifigance to the handle someone chooses? That question strikes me as much more interesting than just, 'how did you pick your handle?'

Gamer handles are often about what the person would wannabe for example. Like 'topgun' or 'widowmaker' for example. It's also like vanity license plates. 'Fred2' for example is boring and shows no imagination whatsoever.

On the other hand there is the vanity plate I saw many years ago on a little classic 1970s mercedes 450SL covertible. It was canary yellow and being driven by a very attractive blonde woman. The plate read WASHIS. I'd say that pretty much told you all there was to know.
Sojourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

^ I have a profession. My job is different.