Screen names

When I first joined my DW had recently died and I had committed to building a home at the end of 18 miles of mountain back roads, mostly dirt, and helping out a a kid's camp next door. The name seemed appropriate at the time. Still does. I have since retired, moved from Virginia to Colorado, and am in the slow process of building my home.

My name is Bob and I'm from Philly but bob-philly was taken.

Ok not really.

I have about 25 years experience in designing, building, and running emulsion polymerization plants for synthetic latex. These latex products are used in the architectural coating, caulk, sealant, adhesive, and textile markets. Thus, my handle. It has nothing to do with any kind of fetish or kinky hobby! Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

The quality of life experienced is in direct proportion to the quantity and quality of options one has.

the funniest (but probably most tasteless) sn I've ever seen is milkcartonkid

I was a Chief in the USCG, my date of rank was April 1, 2002 (04/01/02,) the extra 2 wouldn't fit on another website so I just used 04010 after the Chief. When I came to this website I decided to use the same screen name.

My college mascot plus a number of some significance in my Navy career (but you'll have to break that code yourself.)

We've discussed this before (and that wasn't even the first time!)...

Meadbh: powerful redheaded queen in ancient Ireland
Current avatar: retirement nestegg (no interpretation required)
Signature: none

Last edited:
I use two:

nash031: two favorite basketball players are Steve Nash and Reggie Miller. Friends I played with in my early 20s thought I played like Steve Nash (obviously not as well, just similar in style) and I'm short and white, so they called me "Nash". However nash31 was taken on Yahoo! fifteen years ago, so...

gr8indoorsman: My favorite bar in college was known as "The Home of the Great Indoorsman", but greatindoorsman was too long for the first forum on which I used it, so...

The second one is ironic considering I'm anything but an "indoorsman" as my avatar may let on, let alone a great one.

I've used a few other pen names and such when writing for underground publications and on the very few games I've ever played online (CoD, etc.), one of which was a random word selected from the dictionary which was just the name of an unusual capsicum pepper variety found in New Mexico. I just thought it was a cool word for a pen name...

Last edited:
:smitten:Well....

Actually DH called me this once in a financial sense when I convinced him to move most of his megacorp retirement money (I think it was still called "profit sharing" back then) out of company stock and into other options as soon as the plan offered them. That turned out well. So it seemed like a good user name for a website devoted to FIRE.

You got it arky.

After 25 years of being retired, one thing that can irk me is meeting someone who keeps talking about their past job. 'In my past life, I was X'. I think picking a handle that refers to your past might indicate such a tendency. Whaddaya think? Is there some psychological signifigance to the handle someone chooses? That question strikes me as much more interesting than just, 'how did you pick your handle?'

Gamer handles are often about what the person would wannabe for example. Like 'topgun' or 'widowmaker' for example. It's also like vanity license plates. 'Fred2' for example is boring and shows no imagination whatsoever.

On the other hand there is the vanity plate I saw many years ago on a little classic 1970s mercedes 450SL covertible. It was canary yellow and being driven by a very attractive blonde woman. The plate read WASHIS. I'd say that pretty much told you all there was to know.

Frayne is my middle name and an old family name of English origin. Been here since 02, retired in 05, I golf. If it weren't for gravity, lack of ability and law enforcement, I could reach my full potential.

We had a thread back in july:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/how-did-you-come-up-with-your-username-here-72697.html

The name itself comes from here

My Neighbor Totoro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why? It sort of fits on many dimensions. Fan of studio Ghibli, love the magical theme, forest spirit, ..

The name is also not used very often on forums and such. In contrast to an old username I used before (not here).

And of course: Catbus!

Download Neighbor Totoro Catbus Wallpaper 1600x900 | Full HD Wallpapers

I want my catbus ..

From the thread last year:

I could say it's a variation on the name of a Greek Island. (Rhodes or Rodi).

But it's actually a variation on a nickname of a branch of extended family that I co-opted.

My other line is that I'm really a rodent and will seek out cheese.

Its a tree on some property I own and also the name of a road near the same.

Definitely a lot of interesting stories. Thanks for sharing links to the prior threads. I need to practice more with the search features here.

If anyone is interested this appears to be the 5th time for the topic to come up.

2007. 18 responses
2011. 44
2012. 84
2014. 125. That one took a month
This one has 50 in a day.

I sense a trend.

Time to dance, just wish I knew how.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom