Screen names

KCGeezer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I found a couple of threads where the origin of people's screen name was discussed but since they ended quite some time back I thought I'd start a new one. I'm relatively new here but one comment on my "Hi, I'm ...." Introduction was that 58 seemed awfully young to be a geezer. I agree but it's kind of like this

when my kids were younger, maybe 7-10 we came back from visiting their grandparents. One of the stories that had been shared was my in-laws explanation why my FIL was called Bumpy Jr. I won't get into that but DD asked what I would want to be called when the time came. During the following discussion DS said "oh you're such a geezer".

Since I'm from KC It seemed like a natural screen name. If you're on one of the 'fun money' poker sites maybe we'll run into each other. Any other stories anyone would like to share?

Time to dance, just wish I knew how.

I'm a David Bowie fan, though the Peter Schilling song is pretty cool too.

In case anyone had wondered, I have never been a member of the military. They would have taken one look at me, laughed, and said, "Next!"

I first joined the forum as "Want2Retire". Then I retired, yay! :dance:

At that point I had to change my username, so I became W2R.

In the days before publicly accessible Internet, I used the name 'Gabriel' on the dialup BBSs. As the years passed and people really named Gabriel began to use that name, and as the WWW became functional, I wanted a user name that I figured no one else would easily duplicate. So going with a theme, sticking to the archangel bit, I chose Seraphim, figuring some people would use 'Seraph', but no one would use the plural form. 20 years later it still pretty much works. So if you find Seraphim on another forum, in all likelihood its me lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Is the name I always used in computer/video games: used to be just LUC or Luc for the old 3 character coin-ops, then became Lucantes in regular PC games (such as Ruler Lucantes, Field Marshal Lucantes, Emperor Lucantes and my all time favorite Commander Lucantes back when I was playing BattleTech on the old GEnie network!).

I am a lazy bum, and let the ants do all the work, Ms G. will back me up.

I started on this forum as Soon2B but that was back in 2006. I had just figured out I was FI. The concept of retiring had never really occurred to me although I knew it was possible. I just had never actually sat down and figured out if I had "enough." In-law health issues made me decide to keep on with the steady paycheck while DW dealt with their issues. After a couple of years I just decided to drop "Soon" since it had become an open time frame.

Now with retirement 10 "in-office" days away on 27 Feb, I will soon be done. :dance:

A couple years after eBay was up and going I had the idea of finding fishing gear and selling it so I created the user name fishingminnesota. That seemed too long so I shortened future user names to fishingmn.

Never did sell much fishing stuff on eBay and while I do a little fishing I'm not "really" into it as my user name may suggest. I do like that the user name is available most of the time.

When I was in my teens I hung out with a girl who sometimes took me water skiing behind her family boat, which was named PB4USKI and I thought it was clever and it has rarely already been used by someone else. Since I snow ski as well, it seemed appropriate.

I first joined the forum as "Want2Retire". Then I retired, yay! :dance:

At that point I had to change my username, so I became W2R.

I didn't know you could change your username. Not that I am interested, but do you lose your previous posts or does everything automatically move over to your new name.

I didn't know you could change your username. Not that I am interested, but do you lose your previous posts or does everything automatically move over to your new name.

The moderator team can change anyone's username, if given a good enough reason to do so. You retain your posts under the new name. Posts quoting your old posts may still refer to your old name, though.

So, for example, I just did a search on "Want2Retire" and came up with 4,444 posts which were mostly people quoting my posts before my username change.

Last edited:
As you can guess, mine reflects the absolutely concrete nature of the exact date that DW and I plan/hope/expect to be free. :blush:

A while ago, someone referred to my forum name as my opinion of my investing prowess/courage.

Yeah... right. I prove otherwise yearly - ha!

No, mine's all about music!

Years ago, I was hiking in Colorado in early autumn and saw one lone aspen tree that had turned yellow early. It really stood out.

Hence, Lone Aspen.

Some day, when the money all adds up, I'll retire. SumDay

Mine is a nickname from one of my old flying squadrons in the Air Force. I was first called it when I was doing some laundry using Dash detergent, (which was named after my uncle) and it stuck.

I've posted on a lot of different kinds of forums over the years and used a lot of different handles on them, often depending on availability. I tried to register here as Sojourner rather than Sojourning for example but Sojourner was taken.

Usually I try to come up with a handle that is at least somewhat unusual but 'says' something. Sojourning is living in places for periods of time. Seems to be what most of my life has been like.

My favourite handle I use is for video gaming. I'm into war game types (but not Call of Duty). My handle for Playstation is Onshonki. People often stumble over it and ask how to pronounce it etc. Sometimes they think I am Japanese. Here's why it's my favourite. It is made up of 4 words with each two letters being the beginning of a word. on/sh/on/ki. Can anyone figure it out? Think war, military, guns.

I tried btdt2 for been-there-done-that-too but had to add a second 2 to get there:dance:

Ko'olau is my favorite mountain range - Windward side of Oahu.

Glad pb4uski cleared that up for me (and previously in one of the screen name threads.) I had always read it as "lead for youski" possibly signifying a threat as in "I've got a bullet for you." Funny how our brains work (or sometimes overwork.) YMMV

Back
Top Bottom