Join Early Retirement Today

Screen names
Old 02-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Screen names

I found a couple of threads where the origin of people's screen name was discussed but since they ended quite some time back I thought I'd start a new one. I'm relatively new here but one comment on my "Hi, I'm ...." Introduction was that 58 seemed awfully young to be a geezer. I agree but it's kind of like this

when my kids were younger, maybe 7-10 we came back from visiting their grandparents. One of the stories that had been shared was my in-laws explanation why my FIL was called Bumpy Jr. I won't get into that but DD asked what I would want to be called when the time came. During the following discussion DS said "oh you're such a geezer".

Since I'm from KC It seemed like a natural screen name. If you're on one of the 'fun money' poker sites maybe we'll run into each other. Any other stories anyone would like to share?

Time to dance, just wish I knew how.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #2

I'm a David Bowie fan, though the Peter Schilling song is pretty cool too.

In case anyone had wondered, I have never been a member of the military. They would have taken one look at me, laughed, and said, "Next!"

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I first joined the forum as "Want2Retire". Then I retired, yay!

At that point I had to change my username, so I became W2R.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:21 AM   #4

In the days before publicly accessible Internet, I used the name 'Gabriel' on the dialup BBSs. As the years passed and people really named Gabriel began to use that name, and as the WWW became functional, I wanted a user name that I figured no one else would easily duplicate. So going with a theme, sticking to the archangel bit, I chose Seraphim, figuring some people would use 'Seraph', but no one would use the plural form. 20 years later it still pretty much works. So if you find Seraphim on another forum, in all likelihood its me lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-10-2015, 03:15 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Is the name I always used in computer/video games: used to be just LUC or Luc for the old 3 character coin-ops, then became Lucantes in regular PC games (such as Ruler Lucantes, Field Marshal Lucantes, Emperor Lucantes and my all time favorite Commander Lucantes back when I was playing BattleTech on the old GEnie network!).
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:52 AM   #6

I am a lazy bum, and let the ants do all the work, Ms G. will back me up.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 AM   #7

I started on this forum as Soon2B but that was back in 2006. I had just figured out I was FI. The concept of retiring had never really occurred to me although I knew it was possible. I just had never actually sat down and figured out if I had "enough." In-law health issues made me decide to keep on with the steady paycheck while DW dealt with their issues. After a couple of years I just decided to drop "Soon" since it had become an open time frame.

Now with retirement 10 "in-office" days away on 27 Feb, I will soon be done.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:33 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

A couple years after eBay was up and going I had the idea of finding fishing gear and selling it so I created the user name fishingminnesota. That seemed too long so I shortened future user names to fishingmn.

Never did sell much fishing stuff on eBay and while I do a little fishing I'm not "really" into it as my user name may suggest. I do like that the user name is available most of the time.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:51 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm frugal, and a Phillies fan, so....
PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

ummm...

imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:12 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I was in my teens I hung out with a girl who sometimes took me water skiing behind her family boat, which was named PB4USKI and I thought it was clever and it has rarely already been used by someone else. Since I snow ski as well, it seemed appropriate.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm an avid bowler
Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I first joined the forum as "Want2Retire". Then I retired, yay!

At that point I had to change my username, so I became W2R.
I didn't know you could change your username. Not that I am interested, but do you lose your previous posts or does everything automatically move over to your new name.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I didn't know you could change your username. Not that I am interested, but do you lose your previous posts or does everything automatically move over to your new name.
The moderator team can change anyone's username, if given a good enough reason to do so. You retain your posts under the new name. Posts quoting your old posts may still refer to your old name, though.

So, for example, I just did a search on "Want2Retire" and came up with 4,444 posts which were mostly people quoting my posts before my username change.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #15

As you can guess, mine reflects the absolutely concrete nature of the exact date that DW and I plan/hope/expect to be free.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

A while ago, someone referred to my forum name as my opinion of my investing prowess/courage.

Yeah... right. I prove otherwise yearly - ha!

No, mine's all about music!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Years ago, I was hiking in Colorado in early autumn and saw one lone aspen tree that had turned yellow early. It really stood out.

Hence, Lone Aspen.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #18

Some day, when the money all adds up, I'll retire. SumDay
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Mine is a nickname from one of my old flying squadrons in the Air Force. I was first called it when I was doing some laundry using Dash detergent, (which was named after my uncle) and it stuck.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #20
gone traveling

I've posted on a lot of different kinds of forums over the years and used a lot of different handles on them, often depending on availability. I tried to register here as Sojourner rather than Sojourning for example but Sojourner was taken.

Usually I try to come up with a handle that is at least somewhat unusual but 'says' something. Sojourning is living in places for periods of time. Seems to be what most of my life has been like.

My favourite handle I use is for video gaming. I'm into war game types (but not Call of Duty). My handle for Playstation is Onshonki. People often stumble over it and ask how to pronounce it etc. Sometimes they think I am Japanese. Here's why it's my favourite. It is made up of 4 words with each two letters being the beginning of a word. on/sh/on/ki. Can anyone figure it out? Think war, military, guns.
Sojourning is offline   Reply With Quote