Join Early Retirement Today

Re: secrets to happy retirement
Old 08-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retirement is a permanent vacation, but you never know when it's going to be over. So I go for the gusto every day!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2005, 12:08 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One thing I really miss is the good old days of summer vacation back when I was a kid. I used to love those long, endless summers where you'd just lose track of what day of the week it was, and wouldn't even know it was Saturday until you realized Mom and Dad hadn't gone to work! And that's one thing i look forward to, when I do retire...taking things at my pace, and nobody else's, and even losing track of time on occasion!

Nowadays though, it almost seems like you blink your eyes and summer is over. I still get a bit excited when summer comes around, I guess it's still some of that carefree little kid in me. And even though all I do is work all summer, and it's usually too hot outside to really do much, I still miss it when it's over, and the days start getting noticeably shorter.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
One thing I really miss is the good old days of summer vacation back when I was a kid.* I used to love those long, endless summers where you'd just lose track of what day of the week it was, and wouldn't even know it was Saturday until you realized Mom and Dad hadn't gone to work!* And that's one thing i look forward to, when I do retire...taking things at my pace, and nobody else's, and even losing track of time on occasion!

Nowadays though, it almost seems like you blink your eyes and summer is over.* I still get a bit excited when summer comes around, I guess it's still some of that carefree little kid in me.* And even though all I do is work all summer, and it's usually too hot outside to really do much, I still miss it when it's over, and the days start getting noticeably shorter.
The days are getting shorter. Doesn't really bother me until daylight savings time changes and then I'm getting off work in the dark. But when I retire in 16 months.....that will no longer be a problem. I will be able enjoy every season of the year as though its my childhood summer vacation.*
Old 08-05-2005, 01:38 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've noticed that there always seems to be one day in August where, suddenly, it hits me. HEY, it's getting dark at 8:00!! In fact, I still remember, back in 1996, when I had a second job delivering pizza for Little Caesar's, looking out the front windows from inside and commenting on that. Kinda put a downer on everybody's mood in the store. But then, the following year, I was still there, and sure enough, one day in August, I said the same thing. And then it hit me...I'd said the same thing the last year...amazing sometimes just how fast a year can go by!

I used to really dread it when we went off Daylight Savings Time, but for some reason it just doesn't bother me anymore. Still get excited when we go back on it, though!
Old 08-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I used to love those long, endless summers where you'd just lose track of what day of the week it was...
I don't know why the retirement metaphor is a gold watch. It should be a calendar...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote