Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I won't live in a building that allows dogs, and I prefer one that doesn't allow cats either. Since I have given up pets for good, why accept any pet related hassle even second hand?

Ha
It seems most buildings allow pets now, when traveling we can't seem to find a Motel that does NOT allow dogs.

We do not have\like pets and do not want to stay in a motel where pets were kept the night before. We have actually refused to stay at a motel that allows pets but it seems most do now, so we have given up.

Jim
burch64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burch64 View Post
It seems most buildings allow pets now, when traveling we can't seem to find a Motel that does NOT allow dogs.

We do not have\like pets and do not want to stay in a motel where pets were kept the night before. We have actually refused to stay at a motel that allows pets but it seems most do now, so we have given up.

Jim
Jim, the trend seems to be for more hotel/motels to forbid smoking but allow pets. Perhaps they should have "no pet rooms" for folks like you. I can see how it could be a problem, particularly for those with pet allergies.

I love pets, but only have cats that don't go outside. They are quiet and never disturb our neighbors. I keep them in good health and am fastidious about keeping our home clean. I never want someone to walk into my home and instantly say "Oh, you have cats" When we travel, we hire a pet sitter.

So, while I love pets, I sure understand why many people prefer not to have them and don't want to put up with the noise and mess of other people's animals. The problem often boils down to irresponsible pet owners who don't respect the rights of others.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:

Jim
Exactly my thoughts around motels with smoking rooms..
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a small dog that we take with us everywhere - unfortunately, we are often given smoking rooms (yuck) when we book a room with our dog.

With regard to the OP, having lived in a condo for about 15 years, I would first call your landlord, next, the management person (they are there to prevent you from confronting your neighbors directly). If that doesn't work, I would write a letter to the board of directors.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Purron, I agree with you that the poor dogs were probably in misery from the fleas. Personally, I regard that as animal cruelty. It surely wasn't the poor dogs fault. Those people were supposedly "respectable" people according to the landlord as they both had good jobs, but they were really pigs as people to allow their pets become so infested, which I didn't even know about until they left and the construction guy told me about it.
I've always wondered what kind of parents they were, since they were so uncaring, obviously, about the health and welfare of their 3 dogs.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Jim
We haven't traveled with our dogs yet, but I've looked into pet friendly hotels just in case. The ones I've talked to all have specific rooms for pet travelers, so you shouldn't have the problem of being put into a pet room. They'd be opening themselves to huge lawsuits, since some people are deathly allergic to cats/dogs. They won't put non-smokers in smoking rooms without their permission, and there's a lot less science regarding the dangers of second-hand smoke residue than there is about pet allergies.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #27

We've been renting a townhouse in the city after putting our house on the market last May. We brought our dog with us and the neighbor told us the dog barked all day. We had no idea he was doing this as our house is in the country.

We put him on prozac and the barking stopped. The poor dog had been having separation anxiety and we had no idea prior to moving.

We are moving back to the house as it didn't sell. We are going to keep him on prozac for his comfort.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Helen, we live out in the country and have a neighbor that shoots his gun if my dogs bark too much. They are terrified of the gun, quit barking, and go hide under the bed. It seems to be a fairly effective method, and he doesn't appear to mind the cost of a box of shells every now and again.

Fortunately ours are usually barking "at something" instead of that dreadful keening "I'm lonely and bored" bark that we are all so familiar with. Since ours have 4 acres and a bunch of things to do, they seldom bark from boredom.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjul View Post
In preparation for retirement, we are selling the house and have moved to a condo (renting). I have owned homes for 30 yrs, so this is new to me. There is a dog next door that barks often and long, usually during the day, but sometimes as early as 6:00 am...The owner isn't responsive to my requests for control. The condo assn is also unresponsive....I'm not the owner. I do have a lease purchase on the unit but will not buy.

Am I unreasonable to expect quiet? Have any of you faced this type of thing? I have enjoyed the privacy of a home for many years.....this still seems bizarre. Advice appreciated.

Tks in advance,
Chris
Yes. Learn to love Dogs. On a circle drive near yet another street - EVERYONE (me included has dogs). Even watching Dog whisperer - I can't get them together on times to bark or even on key - they take turns. Plus with the weather warming - the ice cream wagon and power walkers are out - keeping them barking.

Kids(here comes summer) and dogs - I can semi-tune them out. It's a meditation thing.

heh heh heh - Oh and the dang local tornado siren is 1/4 mile away - which they 'love' to test. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a foster dog here that is 9 months old and likes to bark when he thinks no one is around- bad news is that he's deaf and blind so he doesn't know someone is around unless he's laying on their lap! He's doing better, he comes from a group of dogs that all had serious hearing and eye problems so we're trying to see if we can separate them so that we can find a home- thought is easier to find a home for one that needs the extra attention rather than four. I think this one and one other may end up having to be kept together.

There are collars that are used to train a dog not to bark using a spray that is activated by the bark and has a citronella smell, think they make an unscented version as well since it's the whiff of something in the face that supposedly breaks the habit. You obviously have to have an owner that is interested in doing something to have a chance and the success rates I've heard from others are mixed. Just a thought.

Good luck.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

My cousin's son adopted a deaf dog. It worked perfect as he worked in a very noisy metal shop and his dog became the shop dog.

We tried the citronella collar on our wiener dogs which would get each other going with the barking. One of the dogs barked, got squirted in the face, she fell on the floor in total panic. She shook for hours afterwords and had loose stools for months. Needless to say, we could not use the collar on her. Imagine if we had tried a shock collar. The other dog was fine with it, the only problem was if the collarless dog barked very close to the collared dog, his collar would squirt him.

In general, not a success for us.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

"Yes. Learn to love Dogs."

Thanks, great advice.....turns out the Dog From Hell is disturbing everyone else and she is receiving good advice from other neighbors also regarding her options....she is moving out IF she can sell the condo.......dog still barks 2-4 hrs non-stop in the early morning hrs. I will chalk this one up to good experience ....I may not be condo material.
chrisjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I know lots of folks don't want to hear this... take your dog for a 2-4 mile walk; that dog will be too tired to bark much.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #34

It seems like the barking would keep the owners awake at night, also. A proper owner would bring the dog in when it starts barking incessantly. The world is full of self centered egocentrics. That's because their parents did not teach them much about manners and having the awareness that other people live here, too... Probably the same people that throw their trash all along the roads...

It's not the dog's fault...just shoot the owner...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

The one time in my life when living in apartment, had naighbor with lonely dog howls. Neither the neighbor nor management wold fix the problem.

My solution: sent letter to management noting that henceforth my monthly rent will be deposited in a savings account set up for this payment only. When the dog problem is resolved they get the money. Receipts of deposit and account number mailed to management.

Next I received summons to appear for non-payment of rent. Showed up with account book, copies of letters to management.

Judge ruled: when dog problem is solved they get rent.
3 days later dog gone, I paid up. And all was well with the world.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Nicely done, 99.

Quote:
It seems like the barking would keep the owners awake at night, also.
No it doesn't bother them. Once, there was someone up the street whose dog barked late into the night. The dog started barking again at 6 AM, so I got up and went to the woman's house. I go to the door and I see her in a chair in the front hall, asleep. She had let the dog out, then fallen asleep while he was barking to be let in again.

For me, barking sea lions don't bother me, but barking dogs do, because I get mad at the inconsiderate owners. For the inconsiderate owners, their dogs barking is just an inconsequential sound, and doesn't wake them up.

-------------------

On a related issue, I have a new neighbor who comes and goes at all hours of the night. I've started wearing earplugs, but by 2 AM I have 8/10 pain in my ears.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #37

To eliminate the pain, can you get ear plugs molded specifically for your ears? I don't even know if this product exists.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
To eliminate the pain, can you get ear plugs molded specifically for your ears? I don't even know if this product exists.
When I have house guests, I use foam-style ear plugs under iPod ear buds. So all I hear is the music. Don't know if it would work for barking.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Apparently it does: Custom fit earplugs.

I got the Hearos ultimate Softness Series plugs based on this review:

Quiet, please! Finding the best ear plugs. - By Ulrich Boser - Slate Magazine

I think I will first try cutting the plugs to fit better.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
The one time in my life when living in apartment, had naighbor with lonely dog howls. Neither the neighbor nor management wold fix the problem.

My solution: sent letter to management noting that henceforth my monthly rent will be deposited in a savings account set up for this payment only. When the dog problem is resolved they get the money. Receipts of deposit and account number mailed to management.

Next I received summons to appear for non-payment of rent. Showed up with account book, copies of letters to management.

Judge ruled: when dog problem is solved they get rent.
3 days later dog gone, I paid up. And all was well with the world.
Excellent, but not very reproducible, IMHO. My experiences with the legal (note lack of justice in title) system is that you'd have been ordered to pay, fined, and told that if you have a problem, sue. You must have gotten a judge with a neighbor whose dog barks a lot.