Seeking suggestions in ending a difficult "friendship"

I was unloading the car. She rudely pounded on the church door. It’s likely I’ll get the silent treatment. I hope so. I can send her email to the junk folder. I won’t block her number unless she turns abusive.

EW Gal, it sounds as though you have extricated yourself relatively well, and you are out the door and in a position to quietly shut it.

I really don't think this situation would have repaid "honesty" as in "I don't like you and I don't want you around" with anything other than hostility and hysteria. Maybe some persons have nerves of steel and can withstand cries of protestation, betrayal, explanations, invective - but I couldn't. And if I were her, I wouldn't want to hear a list of my faults read out to me either.

You are walking slowly, steadily, and unobtrusively away. Just keep going.

I agree. One doesn't need to have a mental illness, to react poorly to being told about one's faults. Anyone who's had to give a performance appraisal to somebody else can attest to that.:facepalm:

E Maybe some persons have nerves of steel and can withstand cries of protestation, betrayal, explanations, invective - but I couldn't. And if I were her, I wouldn't want to hear a list of my faults read out to me either.

You are walking slowly, steadily, and unobtrusively away. Just keep going.

+1

It will do no good, and only cause hurt feelings, to tell her you don't want to be friends anymore due to her erratic, annoying behavior. People with personality disorders generally don't recognize or accept that they're the problem and thus can't/won't do anything to change their behavior.

The best approach is to just avoid her to the extent possible, and decline any and all invitations or overtures from her by saying you're busy. If she texts, calls, or emails you, don't respond. She'll eventually get the message.

Good plan... People can really go off in public. Avoidance is the name of the game.

I am sorry you are having to deal with this. Toxic people are difficult to get rid of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom