Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2008, 05:26 AM   #21

Scored a zero. I may not be able to walk to services nearby, but I prefer the seclusion of being able to walk 4 miles without seeing anyone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

rustic23, I agree that Houston nowhere is walkable...except I did have a musician say that in the Clear Lake area people walked around at night all the time. I think if you were to even try walking in Houston the distance from place to place would kill you--even if the outrageous oncoming traffic didn't. That is just not a city for walking or bikes.
When I first got to Houston a realtor told me that Houston was the ONLY city in America you could go down the main street of town at 55 mph and NOT get a ticket (she was talking Westheimer St. at the Galleria, too). She was right: too big a city to allow the Police to watch traffic well. When you are something like 50 miles across either way, you have alot of freedom to speed.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I tried our place in PV. It was built in 1993 but the address is unknown to google. So I tried another address and there was only one commercial establishment in downtown PV. I think like many google initiatives, they release them before they are ready for prime time hoping to force establishments to sign up with them. GIGO
Old 01-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Scored a zero. I may not be able to walk to services nearby, but I prefer the seclusion of being able to walk 4 miles without seeing anyone.
Hey you party animal!

Ha
Old 01-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Hey you party animal!

Ha
Yea - I have quite a social life. But its good to get away from my working environment in Chicago and suburbs.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Excellent site, very interesting.

My score is a very pleasing 74.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:55 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Neat site but i gotta scratch my head at its accuracy.
My address got a score of 20:confused:
There are 4 parks within a ten minute walk.
a city wide bicycle network 2 minute bike ride away,
At least a dozen restaurants within 10min walk
A shopping center 3 blocks away
Sidewalks or bike paths all the way.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I tried some sites in known dangerous neighborhoods and they scored high .Yes. there are a lot of things to walk to but would you ?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #29

Yikes! Like Walt, I got a 17. And I agree--there is no place to safely/comfortably walk to. Suburban Atlanta is definitely not pedestrian friendly.

The site could have possibilities, but I saw glitches, especially when I put in where I used to live. It came up with a library that was 3 miles away---technically correct, but that library was in the next county, so I wouldn't have had borrowing privileges. And okay, so there was a Chic-Fil-A very close by, within walking distance----but not so appealing for someone who is a vegetarian and doesn't like fast food/chicken.

So, Ha---winner of the walkability award---how often do you use your car?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

My score was 23!

I was expecting a higher score, but after I read the reasoning for the low score, I guess I have to agree.

We live in an area with about 1000 families, but there is very little nearby as far as development. We have walked and biked the area for over 20 years, day and night, and have never experienced any problems. For me, that makes it a perfect walking area, at least for exercise and safety.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
So, Ha---winner of the walkability award---how often do you use your car?
Tango,

Maybe once a quarter to go out to a Target or similar to get supplies. One to 2x per week for pleasure- to get to events that aren't in comfortable walk range. Bus service is good to a few places, but not to the whole city, especially at night.

Including an occasional trip to the mountains, I think I am driving about 6000 miles/year.

I picked this area for its appeal to an urban walker. I have been coming here and enjoying it for years, walking around, sometimes going to clubs. I never really considered iiving here until all of a sudden it seemed to make sense.

Ha
Old 01-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #32

haha, all you are accomplishing with all this is making me mighty jealous...
Sounds ideal and makes perfect sense to me. You lucky dog, you!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #33

I scored "3", but the total includes a neighbor who runs a small in-home catering business, so I guess my walk score isn't something that I'll use when we list our house for sale!

Meanwhile, my daughter lives in an older, established suburb and loves to walk just about everywhere -- her score was 82!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Socred a 98, I live in downtown Chicago.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #35

Every one talking about places being this score or that but as most posters dont bother to list their location on this forum i have no idea where you are referring to.:confused:
Old 01-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Every one talking about places being this score or that but as most posters dont bother to list their location on this forum i have no idea where you are referring to.:confused:
Just listing a city or town doesn't mean anything. The scores are very local and just related to what is close to the address given. I checked various locations in my suburb, and the scores are quite different (and appear to be accurate, at least around here). Those parts of the suburb that are almost all residential without even a convenience store for a long way, came out lower than those that are nearer to a variety of stores of various kinds.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote