Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Isn't w*rk, even self-employment, after ER an oxymoron?

AFAIK, self employment is still w*rk.

I think it is a matter of being able to choose. If you're going to do it because you need the money to survive, it is an obligation and will bring in all the stress and stuff we are trying to get away from. So you won't really be retiring, so you're right, it will be an oxymoron. But, as moemg put it, if you do it for fun, to occupy your time, you can drop it anytime you feel like it, and the money is just a nice plus for discretionary spending, I would still call it ER. Now, I personally would like to stay away from anythig related to the job I have worked in for over 3 decades, but this is a subject for another thread.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiophilejapan View Post
I think it is a matter of being able to choose. If you're going to do it because you need the money to survive, it is an obligation and will bring in all the stress and stuff we are trying to get away from. So you won't really be retiring, so you're right, it will be an oxymoron. But, as moemg put it, if you do it for fun, to occupy your time, you can drop it anytime you feel like it, and the money is just a nice plus for discretionary spending, I would still call it ER. Now, I personally would like to stay away from anythig related to the job I have worked in for over 3 decades, but this is a subject for another thread.
IMHO:

If you do it because you like it want to: It's a hobby.

If you do it because you have to: It's a j*b.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I started selling on ebay as a hobby and it has progressed to a small business . I really enjoy doing it . It occupies some of my time but not that much and I can stop for awhile when I get tired of it or are going away . It pays for fun extras and has let me leave my investments in ICU were they are recovering from a bad bruising .
Glad to know you have gone this route and it is working well for you. I'm looking forward to my turn.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
IMHO:

If you do it because you like it want to: It's a hobby.

If you do it because you have to: It's a j*b.

Well summarized. Couldn't agree more.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirt View Post
Has anyone established a part-time home business/self employment after they ER'd? If so, how did it go?
Only been ER'd since October so just starting out. I bought a portable sawmill and I'm starting to get a few more jobs- have 2 this week plus I'm sawing wood from a farm with the hope that we can sell it next spring. My mill, the farm owners logs and we'll split what we get for the lumber.

Love the work, it's outside, it's on my own schedule, and I've lost 20 pounds since I retired by being active. So far no pressure and doesn't feel like a job plus making a few bucks. Way better than the meacorp job but nowhere near the same pay.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Love the work, it's outside, it's on my own schedule, and I've lost 20 pounds since I retired by being active. So far no pressure and doesn't feel like a job plus making a few bucks. Way better than the meacorp job but nowhere near the same pay.
Congratulations, Dave. Sounds like you have found the balance in life many of us are looking for. I'll get there someday.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:25 PM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Isn't w*rk, even self-employment, after ER an oxymoron?

AFAIK, self employment is still w*rk.
I'm with you on this one.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
What do you mean by "Energy Work"?

Free to canoe
Reiki, Polarity, Reflexology....
Old 06-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #49

No, don't comment. Do not express opinion. KEEP QUIET!!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We all occupy our retired days in different ways . Some of us hike , read endless books , join clubs , spend endless hours in the gym or other ways to occupy our time and some of us have hobbies that have become profitable . It does not mean we have given up on retirement and returned to work . None of us are doing anything that resembles our former jobs and sorry if you would rather see us at a bridge club or bowling but this is what interests us .

P.S. I also spend a lot of time swimming and at the gym and I do read endless books and take classes
Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The best reply to this thread so far was the one about Goat Milk Soap. So I finally looked this up on the web and got the following receipe: Making Goats Milk Soap

It sounded real good until I saw this process. Also don't have goats .

My wife occasionally sells her paintings. She has some small ones in a local fine arts & crafts store that appeals to tourists. I've sold a few but spent a lot more on materials. The problem is that you start painting what you think other people might like instead of what appeals to you. Pretty soon the marketing can drive your art. Hmmm, maybe the buyer would like to see a cow in this scene.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Reiki, Polarity, Reflexology....
Interesting.
Thanks,

Free to canoe
Old 06-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #53

I do genealogy research but it is more of a hobby. I require clients pay only expenses.

Free
Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #54

Quote:
No, don't comment. Do not express opinion. KEEP QUIET!!

Oh please share....I am curious!