Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Are you advertising in the right venues?
I thought you had to live in Florida and toss in swiming pool cleaning/maintenance as a loss leader - or have I been watching the wrong movies?

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Are you advertising in the right venues?
Don't know. I stand on a busy street corner in downtown Sarasota wearing a penis costume. Could this be part of the problem?
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #23

Try relocating to San Francisco.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Do tax returns, been doing them for years.
Started working with "concrete art". I make custom blocks with peoples addresses put in mosiac on them, with designs.
Looking to head down to city hall, get to know how records are filed, and be a title searcher/recorder/runner on contract for the coming RE boom, once things clear out.
Finding out what it takes to be an insurance consultant, I worked for the insurance department for over 25 years.

Lots of stuff in the hopper.
jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm surprised this thread didn't go far. I'm considering a small business, maybe starting with ebay and moving to an own webstore, when I RE. Not too much work, just enought to occupy some time, socialize with customers/suppliers, and pay for occsional longer trips. I thought many more people would be thinking along the same lines.
Radiophilejapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I plan on doing energy work late into my life....along with having my own line of aromatherapy products, and teaching massage technique. I also want to become certified as a life coach which will add another source of income.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
What someone needs to start is a listening business ! A lot of older people are always cornering me in the local supermarket to discuss anything from their back pain to how to tell if a melon is ripe . So somebody should just start a business that they can call when lonely and have someone to talk to . I'd love to do it but I usually fall asleep in the middle of their World War 2 stories and how they don't make good cars anymore and Bless her soul but nobody made apple pie like Betty and have I told you how Doc Smith cured my lumbago .
I think you are on to something big here. Right now the market is handled by telemarketers. Why would anybody deal with these people? Because they are lonely and need someone to talk to.

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I plan on doing energy work late into my life....along with having my own line of aromatherapy products, and teaching massage technique. I also want to become certified as a life coach which will add another source of income.
What do you mean by "Energy Work"?

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What someone needs to start is a listening business ! A lot of older people are always cornering me in the local supermarket to discuss anything from their back pain to how to tell if a melon is ripe . So somebody should just start a business that they can call when lonely and have someone to talk to . I'd love to do it but I usually fall asleep in the middle of their World War 2 stories and how they don't make good cars anymore and Bless her soul but nobody made apple pie like Betty and have I told you how Doc Smith cured my lumbago .
I think someone did - you're using one right now.

Nice thing about it is no one knows when you fall asleep...
Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Work after ER, well I've already prowled the "massage joints" behind the strip in Vegas and got 3 contracts to do the sheets, linens and towels for them.

This business can really take off, but got to handle things with gloves and put the contents in airtight plastic bags, have to watch for sharps.

Jug
Towel boy
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiophilejapan View Post
I'm surprised this thread didn't go far. I'm considering a small business, maybe starting with ebay and moving to an own webstore, when I RE. Not too much work, just enought to occupy some time, socialize with customers/suppliers, and pay for occsional longer trips. I thought many more people would be thinking along the same lines.

I started selling on ebay as a hobby and it has progressed to a small business . I really enjoy doing it . It occupies some of my time but not that much and I can stop for awhile when I get tired of it or are going away . It pays for fun extras and has let me leave my investments in ICU were they are recovering from a bad bruising .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What someone needs to start is a listening business !
I thought of something like this a while back when I was looking for another business to start. The idea was that older people/shut ins/etc. (or their relatives) would pay a small amount (maybe $25/month) and every day someone would call and check on them to make sure they were okay. If they agreed to be one of the callers they would get a big discount. That way they would have a chance to talk to someone and interact and feel useful, and it would also be a way to ensure that everyone was okay.
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
I thought of something like this a while back when I was looking for another business to start. The idea was that older people/shut ins/etc. (or their relatives) would pay a small amount (maybe $25/month) and every day someone would call and check on them to make sure they were okay. If they agreed to be one of the callers they would get a big discount. That way they would have a chance to talk to someone and interact and feel useful, and it would also be a way to ensure that everyone was okay.
Having a system like this in place (not from a paid service, but with a neighbor) probably saved her life at one point:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...43&postcount=4
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

She was very lucky. I'm glad she had a system in place. I think it's really important to have something in place - whether it be a paid service or a neighbor thing. One of the reasons I get the paper every day is so that if I don't get it for a day or two my neighbors will know something is wrong and come check on me.
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It already exists. It is called 'bartending'.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was at my cell phone company's store today and got to chatting with the tech there about mail in rebates. She mentioned that if she collected customer's mail in rebates that never get mailed in she would be rich. I told her she should start up a business and offer to submit customer rebate info for a small fee. I figure you can charge $10 for a $100 rebate. Since I'm guilty of never sending in rebates I rather liked the idea.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #37

Isn't w*rk, even self-employment, after ER an oxymoron?

AFAIK, self employment is still w*rk.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Isn't w*rk, even self-employment, after ER an oxymoron?

AFAIK, self employment is still w*rk.

No , If it is enjoyable it is more like a hobby that pays . I never feel like my ebay selling is work . I enjoy it . It fills my need to be busy and productive .I worked for forty years and sitting around is not in my genes . In my mind it is no different than volunteering since most of my ebay money goes to charity or my daughter or grandson .
Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #39

Quote:
No , If it is enjoyable it is more like a hobby that pays.
If it a hobby, it isn't w*rk. I'd encourage anyone who is ER and has a profitable hobby to continue it. Starting one, expecting it to be both enjoyable and profitable is another matter.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

[quote=kumquat;820097]If it a hobby, it isn't w*rk. I'd encourage anyone who is ER and has a profitable hobby to continue it. Starting one, expecting it to be both enjoyable and profitable is another matter.[/quo

I started doing ebay out of curiosity and also to clear out some closets . It awakened the little girl who ran the kool aid stand in me . I never thought I would enjoy it this much but I do and it has been profitable .