Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Senior Center...join or not?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
BUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid Hudson Valley
Posts: 1,778
Senior Center...join or not?

A few months ago DW dragged me to lunch at the local senior center. Since then I visit a few times per week and donate time and money. At the same time, I've met wonderful folks, politions, reporters, philantropists, fishermen, and neighbors I otherwise wouldn't know.

I'm starting to realize that all SC's are not created equal. It seems that if they take state money, lots of strings get attached (some good, some not). A gross generalization is that small town SC's are way more fun than big city SC's. Ours is all volunteer, period. Nobody gets a dime. Great food, big fun. Its really something. The list of free services and things to do, and places to go is daunting. Membership is five dollars per annum.

Saturday night I'm going to Italian Club, whatever that is in NC. I can see DW getting a phone call.... "I'm sorry, he's gone and dere was nuttin' we could do about it, y'all."
__________________

__________________
In a panamax down by the river.
BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
Membership is five dollars per annum.
BUM, how you choose to spend your money in retirement is a very personal choice. If you think it's worth the annual membership fee and you can make it fit in your budget, I say go for it!
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Eagle43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,879
Membership is 5 bucks. Hardly good tip money. Do it if it interests you. DW, who's into line dancing, goes to some dance classes in a SC. I've been to watch a couple of their performances. Lots of food, lots of coffee. No wine, though.
__________________
Resist much. Obey Little. . . . Ed Abbey

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
73ss454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: LaLa Land
Posts: 4,378
Bum, I think you can squeeeeeze the 5 bucks into your budget.
__________________
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-Central Illinois
Posts: 3,198
My Mom goes to our local Senior Center, and not only sees people she already knows, but also meets many others that she never would have met otherwise. And like you state, somethings are good and some things are not quite so good, but the good by far out-weighs the other.

They have Tai Chi a few times a week.....also computer classes. There's a monthly potluck where the SC supplies the meat, drinks (non-alcholic), and some other stuff....and each person brings a dish to pass. They also offer a daily hot meal for a very small set cost....something like $3-$4.....and the people can take extra food home home to have for their evening meal (at no additional cost). Of course, I think the "Gamblin' Grannies" really like, best of all, the bingo and bunko games that each happen a couple of times a week.

They have a few day trips each year, but not very many since there are a lot of other day trip options available in our community.....3 of the local banks have travel groups, as well as the local chapter of the AARP, and a tour/travel company that offers a LOT of one-day and multi-day trips at very reasonable prices.

Our SC doesn't have any membership fee....of course they do receive tax $$....and as such, there are some 'strings' attached that place a few limits on what they can and can't do.....but not to tight of a straight-jacket.
__________________
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
tangomonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 756
How old are most of the people at SCs? Like for tai Chi classes?
__________________
“It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.------Krishnamurti
tangomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
I went for while in my former small town. A lot of well to do accomplished guys, a lot of people well informed about Medicare, SS, etc. Plenty old women, too.

My hang-up as that it smelled like like assisted living. I am always wanting to do free or cheap age appropriate things, but I can't get past the "senior smell". Where I live now, the old people are either poor and living in various senior housing projects, or prosperous-appearing gay men.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
A few months ago DW dragged me to lunch at the local senior center. Since then I visit a few times per week and donate time and money. At the same time, I've met wonderful folks, politions, reporters, philantropists, fishermen, and neighbors I otherwise wouldn't know.

I'm starting to realize that all SC's are not created equal. It seems that if they take state money, lots of strings get attached (some good, some not). A gross generalization is that small town SC's are way more fun than big city SC's. Ours is all volunteer, period. Nobody gets a dime. Great food, big fun. Its really something. The list of free services and things to do, and places to go is daunting. Membership is five dollars per annum.
That sounds like a wonderful opportunity, and what a great price! I'd join in a heartbeat. With all those activities, and all the time in the world to enjoy them and to get to know everyone, it sounds like a great resource in your ER.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My hang-up as that it smelled like like assisted living.
What does assisted living smell like? Ben-Gay?
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
What does assisted living smell like? Ben-Gay?
More like death.
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
More like death.
Yuck. It would be hard to enjoy activities under those circumstances, I agree.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,031
I'd join but I don't consider myself a senior yet . Seniors women wear polyester pants and flamingo shirts and orthopedic sandals and have their manicures in shades of light orange and their hair is set not wash and wear . They probably have purses to match their outfits and orange lipstick to match their manicures . They trade in their Lincoln every few years and sometimes switch to a caddy . They go out to eat at 4 not only for the early bird special but the two for one martinis. Their husbands are usually named Carl or Earl and they have white shoes and polyester pants also .They always drive because the little lady gets lost . Okay ,I think I've been in Florida too long .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Seniors women wear polyester pants and flamingo shirts and orthopedic sandals and have their manicures in shades of light orange and their hair is set not wash and wear . They probably have purses to match their outfits and orange lipstick to match their manicures . They trade in their Lincoln every few years and sometimes switch to a caddy . They go out to eat at 4 not only for the early bird special but the two for one martinis. Their husbands are usually named Carl or Earl and they have white shoes and polyester pants also .They always drive because the little lady gets lost .
You should write screenplays.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
Geez I almost got a bit depressed reading this thread :confused:
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
mickeyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Texas~29N/98W
Posts: 5,880
Quote:
Membership is five dollars per annum.
Sounds to me like you have already gotten your $ back on that one.

DW volunteers at a local SC (no $5 fee) and has suggested that I come along one day and give it a go, but I always seem to have something else cooking. I will no doubt get over there sometime in the future and will probably love it which will complicate my life even more!
__________________
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:59 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
tangomonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 756
Okay, so inquiring minds still want to know: how old are people at the senior center? At 54, I'm still a little too young for it, I suppose?
__________________
“It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.------Krishnamurti
tangomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-Central Illinois
Posts: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Okay, so inquiring minds still want to know: how old are people at the senior center? At 54, I'm still a little too young for it, I suppose?
The ages of the folks that go to the SC here, start around 60 and go up through mid-late 80's. And most of the the ones doing Tai Chi are late 60's through 80's. One of our friends who goes there occasionally is 81, but doesn't have a lot of time for it, because she's too busy walking or running. She runs in 10 or 12 races a year....5K's, 10K's, and stuff like that.

I think, over all, most of the folks that go to our SC are pretty spry for their ages.

Oh, and the place doesn't have a nasty smell either.
__________________
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'd join but I don't consider myself a senior yet . Seniors women wear polyester pants and flamingo shirts and orthopedic sandals and have their manicures in shades of light orange and their hair is set not wash and wear . They probably have purses to match their outfits and orange lipstick to match their manicures . They trade in their Lincoln every few years and sometimes switch to a caddy . They go out to eat at 4 not only for the early bird special but the two for one martinis. Their husbands are usually named Carl or Earl and they have white shoes and polyester pants also .They always drive because the little lady gets lost . Okay ,I think I've been in Florida too long .
Oh, so THAT's where Aunt Julia moved!! Hey, if you run into her, tell her to call home...I'm sure the number is in the purse that matches the hula shirt...or she can look in the glove box of the Caddy for the address book. (By the way, you'd know who she is because she's the one who drives all the time with her high beam lights on. Why? Cause she just can't remember to use the thingy on the steering wheel to switch to low beams. She keeps stomping around on the floorboards looking for the switch there!!)
__________________
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Eagle43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Oh, so THAT's where Aunt Julia moved!! Hey, if you run into her, tell her to call home...I'm sure the number is in the purse that matches the hula shirt...or she can look in the glove box of the Caddy for the address book. (By the way, you'd know who she is because she's the one who drives all the time with her high beam lights on. Why? Cause she just can't remember to use the thingy on the steering wheel to switch to low beams. She keeps stomping around on the floorboards looking for the switch there!!)

I read somewhere about senior housing whereby the elderly women were evaluating the men. It seems that the most attractive quality was "still being able to drive at night." Finally I am a hot prospect.
__________________
Resist much. Obey Little. . . . Ed Abbey

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28
We have a really nice, brand new, modern Senior Center only about 1-2 miles from where I live. My problem is that I have the "perception" that everyone going to a Senior Center is 15-20 years older than me and that I won't have much in common with them.

Am I off base with that?
__________________

__________________
BanDit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AARP..join or not? martyb Life after FIRE 41 03-28-2008 12:49 PM
Care to join my little protest? mickeyd Other topics 41 07-16-2007 06:48 AM
Can't Join the ER Club Yet! Jane_Doe FIRE and Money 8 05-06-2007 03:31 PM
Another Submariner to join ER ranks soon? samclem Other topics 7 01-14-2007 12:31 PM
Center for Creative Retirement--Who has been? nwsteve Other topics 3 06-30-2004 06:37 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.