Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,038
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

I dropped my long term NRA membership when they sent me a video not requested then dunned me to send it back or pay for it. I trashed it and my membership. When they view their members as only a cash source they have lost their way.
__________________

__________________
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-16-2005, 07:31 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
I dropped my long term NRA membership when they sent me a video not requested then dunned me to send it back or pay for it. I trashed it and my membership. When they view their members as only a cash source they have lost their way.
Man, I've belonged like forever and never had a bad experience. I even
buy some insurance through them. Yeah, they do ask for money a lot.
I would surely rather give it to them than the government.

JG
__________________

__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-16-2005, 08:39 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I even buy some insurance through them.
I've been joking about that 9mm healthcare insurance. I sure hope they are too!
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

I'll bite JG. What in the hell bit of good does the NRA do for anyone? Do you hunt? I have a 12 guage remington 870 and a .40 calibur beretta myself, both of which i bought years ago. A good gun can and will last a lifetime, so I dont see how anyone would be interested in month-to-month support for the NRA if they own the guns they want. Then again, anyone who's anyone knows that the NRA isnt protecting rights to own just basic guns like single-shot shotguns and rifles, they're protecting the rights of civilians to own military guns designed to pierce heavy armor like the .50 calibur. I think its embarresssing that even in our advanced society, it is legal for the average joe to buy a .50 calibur.

When you said you'd rather give money to the NRA instead of the government, i do want you to know what went through my mind instantly; ..... redneck.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-17-2005, 08:10 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
I'll bite JG.* *What in the hell bit of good does the NRA do for anyone?* Do you hunt?* *I have a 12 guage remington 870 and a .40 calibur beretta myself, both of which i bought years ago.* A good gun can and will last a lifetime, so I dont see how anyone would be interested in month-to-month support for the NRA if they own the guns they want.* *Then again, anyone who's anyone knows that the NRA isnt protecting rights to own just basic guns like single-shot shotguns and rifles, they're protecting the rights of civilians to own military guns designed to pierce heavy armor like the .50 calibur.* *I think its embarresssing that even in our advanced society, it is legal for the average joe to buy a .50 calibur.

When you said you'd rather give money to the NRA instead of the government, i do want you to know what went through my mind instantly; ..... redneck.
You know what went through my mind when I read your post?
Wimpy urban liberal

The NRA is about the only thing standing in the way of a total trashing of the Second Amendment. They have the members, the money and the clout.
Without them all is lost IMHO. Of course I believe in private ownership
of just about any weapon other than WMDs (I'm not kidding). A 50 cal.
rifle in every home along with a chicken in every pot. What a great world that would be.

Finally, no redneck here but I surely prfer that tag to gutless
gun grabber. Present company excepted

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-17-2005, 08:13 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,438
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

I received in the mail yesterday a Fidelity Investments "Blueprint for your Retirement" magazine. #1 on the list was that you need to allow for 85% of your pre-retirement income. Why do these firms keep publishing crap like this? I don't need 1/2 of what I make now and my guess is that is the case for most that post here. The % that one needs varies so much form person to person that to use the standard 70-85% rate just seems silly.

Oh well, that is my venting for the day. Time for another cup of coffee. *
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-17-2005, 08:54 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

Quote:
You know what went through my mind when I read your post?
Wimpy urban liberal
Well, the military told me i was a trained killer after i finished basic, and even gave me this cool looking ribbon to wear for shooting expert.* You should have been there JG, it was so neat.* I could probably see about 20 other basic's targets including my own from where i was standing, and all of theirs had bullet holes all over the target (or were missing alltogether).* Mine was in a tight pattern in the middle* , and all accounted for.

I also made it to the finals in my squadron in the pugil stick competitions.* So apparently, i'm relatively adept at whooping some ass both at range and in close quarters.

So, wimpy i may or may not be, depending on who you ask.* But be as quiet as possible if you break into my house.* The beretta's under my bed and i dont miss.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-17-2005, 09:08 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
Well, the military told me i was a trained killer after i finished basic, and even gave me this cool looking ribbon to wear for shooting expert.* You should have been there JG, it was so neat.* I could probably see about 20 other basic's targets including my own from where i was standing, and all of theirs had bullet holes all over the target (or were missing alltogether).* Mine was in a tight pattern in the middle* , and all accounted for.

I also made it to the finals in my squadron in the pugil stick competitions.* So apparently, i'm relatively adept at whooping some ass both at range and in close quarters.

So, wimpy i may or may not be, depending on who you ask.* But be as quiet as possible if you break into my house.* The beretta's under my bed and i dont miss.
Good for you.
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-17-2005, 09:10 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

Dog51- I think it just comes down to what you have in mind for retirement. *I'm probably going to be thinking 70-80% of preretirement income simply because i'm going to want to take a few vacations, have decent automobiles, keep my house in tip-top shape, etc. *Yeah i could probably get by with less, but I want it to be a highly enjoyable experience that's going to include those things. *

I think having a margin of safety is nice anyway; meaning you may only need 50%, but you have that extra 20% just as a buffer. *It'd be nice if we could die exactly broke on the nose, but that's not very realistic.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-17-2005, 09:13 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

Quote:
Good for you.
Unfortunately, those were my two high points.* I withdrew from the Air Force Academy about 2-3 months into the school year cause i just wasnt making the grades.* Oh sure, they wanted me to stay anyway (i guess because they lose a great deal of money allocated to my being there, which is lost when i left).* I was in the process of earning 3 F's for my first semester.* *I just wasn't academically prepared for it at the time.* It'd be a struggle for me academically, even today.

But i will say, Basic Training was one of the, if not the, most incredible expreiences of my life.* They really did make me a trained killer.* I remember being scared of big bullies and things like that before i went in.* *After that experience, i felt like i could kill anyone.* Sure, that probably isnt true, but the point is you'd die trying.

The last (physical) fight i ever had with my older brother was 2 months after i withdrew from there.* Up until then, he had won every one.* I beat him so bad that incident (it was a sun morning), i didnt even wrinkle my Sun morning clothes.* *We've been much closer and nicer to each other every since then.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 250
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I received in the mail yesterday a Fidelity Investments "Blueprint for your Retirement" magazine. #1 on the list was that you need to allow for 85% of your pre-retirement income. Why do these firms keep publishing crap like this? I don't need 1/2 of what I make now and my guess is that is the case for most that post here. The % that one needs varies so much form person to person that to use the standard 70-85% rate just seems silly.

Oh well, that is my venting for the day. Time for another cup of coffee.
85% seems exceptionally high, especially if you're looking at a traditional retirement age where the money doesn't have to last that long. If you're saving even 10% of your income then that knocks it down to 90%, and the savings on taxes and SS should push it below 85% without a problem. Throw in a paid-off mortgage, children out of the house, etc. and I would guess most people could do well on much less.

Since the spouse just got promoted, I recently redid our family spreadsheets and found that 25% comes right out of pay before we even see it (10% to TSP, SS, taxes, etc). Due to husband's job we have a very light tax load, so most probably see even more than that come out. Additional retirement savings and job related expenses knock that down to 68% of gross. Out of that we pay everything else - housing, groceries, travel, 2 vehicles... and the money just keeps piling up in our account. Since we are very comfortable at this level, we're targeting at least 70% of current gross ( or 100% of current "take home" pay) adjusted for inflation. We are still 12-15 years from ER, too far out to know what our real retirement expenses will look like, but this gives us something to shoot for in the meantime.

__________________
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-17-2005, 10:31 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sheryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,459
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

I am thinking that our spending may end up being about the same as pre-retirement -* although I will not be "saving" 25% of my income, or paying the higher tax rates,* I am hoping to start doing all the things I don't have time for now -* especially travel.* Even though we are shoe-string type travelers, 3 international trips a year is what I dream of - that's $5k just in airfares.* * Scuba diving in most good dive spots is $100 per day....

SO loves to putter on home and garden projects, and every trip to Home Depot is another $100 minimum...

I also love taking classes in anything and everything - in the past couple years I've done chinese landscape painting, tennis, investing 101 (waste of money!) and green building design.

I see wanting to feed that habit even more generously when I have the free time.* *So I plan on aiming for approx. the same spending as now.* But it's important to differentiate "spending" from "income."* Right now I'm not spending all my income.



Vocabulary word of the day:* Dilettante
__________________
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns
Old 08-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
SteveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,803
Re: Senior spending tapers off: Scott Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I received in the mail yesterday a Fidelity Investments "Blueprint for your Retirement" magazine. #1 on the list was that you need to allow for 85% of your pre-retirement income. Why do these firms keep publishing crap like this? I don't need 1/2 of what I make now and my guess is that is the case for most that post here. The % that one needs varies so much form person to person that to use the standard 70-85% rate just seems silly.
Quote:

A couple of reasons come to mind.

1. Consider the source. *What does the source have to gain by having people believe they cannot retire on less than 80-85% of their current income? *

2. Conventional wisdom. *It is much easier to keep up the same mantra that has been used over the past several years than to actually explain to people that you can live very well on less.

3. 80-85% of most people's income (excluding many here) would be Required in retirement to pay off existing debts and to continue to fund excessive spending. *So, in fact, this statement may actually be true for most of the general population. *If people I know are any indication of the general population then I would guess more like 95-100% would be required in retirement. * :
__________________

__________________
Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scott Burns: The Critical 50s REWahoo Young Dreamers 50 07-21-2008 12:35 AM
Scott Burns burns Home Depot REWahoo Other topics 17 03-06-2007 10:09 PM
Scott Burns' own story sparkee Other topics 3 10-09-2005 03:01 PM
Scott Burn's Swan Song? Telly FIRE and Money 26 10-05-2005 01:58 PM
Scott Burns doesn't want us to retire! Telly FIRE and Money 27 11-06-2003 01:53 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.