Join Early Retirement Today

Shadenfreude
Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Shadenfreude

For all of you who are retired and live in an area that got snow this am, like I do...it took me 4 times my usual commute and only because I got lucky and smartly chose an alternate -others who live near me and take the same route at roughly the same time took as long as 12x as long to get to work today!!!!!
Hope you all are at home smiling and enjoying it...someday I hope to join you.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
For all of you who are retired and live in an area that got snow this am, like I do...it took me 4 times my usual commute and only because I got lucky and smartly chose an alternate -others who live near me and take the same route at roughly the same time took as long as 12x as long to get to work today!!!!!
I feel your pain. We got about 4" here in northern Michigan this morning, but I didn't have to drive through it (been retired for 2 years now). I just got back in from shoveling the driveway and walkway......a job that used to be drudgery when I was working, but not so bad now that I have all day to do it....

Old 01-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Administrator

No snow here, but Tuesday morning I was up at 7 AM (unusually early for me in retirement), and saw that my neighborhood was blanketed with thick fog.

I don't like driving in fog! It scares me. So, I was really glad that I could stay home and didn't have to venture out until after the fog lifted.

Keep saving and doing what you need to do in order to retire, and before you know it, you'll be gleefully watching the traffic reports on TV on these snowy days.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
No snow here, but Tuesday morning I was up at 7 AM (unusually early for me in retirement), and saw that my neighborhood was blanketed with thick fog.

I don't like driving in fog! It scares me. So, I was really glad that I could stay home and didn't have to venture out until after the fog lifted.
We also had a very thick fog. I couldn't even see the other side of the lake. I had some things to do, but just waited until the fog lifted.

For the first year after I stopped working I would get a knot in my stomach whenever I heard the traffic report on the radio. Weird, but I finally got over it. I still wake up too early though, and I can't seem to correct that one horrible leftover from commuting.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The commute was my #1 reason for retiring 3 years ago. Even though it was only 2 or 3 days a week for most of my last 7 years, I still could not stand it. It consisted of 75-90 minutes on two different trains and I hated every stinking minute of it! In wintery weather it was even worse, waiting on cold platforms, slogging through the streets, riding in train cars too cold or too warm, dealing with late, shortened, or canceled trains, listening to all those annoying cell phone yakkers......

But that is all in the past now!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

I have to admit, snow (actually, the problems it causes) was in my top 5 reasons for moving here. I have never missed it once, though I admit it has a beauty all its own. Now, I can watch it on TV if I so desire. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree
I too live in MO (outside KC) and we received a grand total of .75 inches of snow. We were the only school district cancelled today. Kind of embarrassing, but at least I got to avoid the commute.
Even though this is my last year, I think I'm going to miss that call next year. Every since age 5, I've always had that anticipation of a "snow day"
Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #8

No snow just now. Do recall a Christmas eve, leaving an hour early for w*rk at 10 PM, heavy icing was scheduled. Was "essential", so calling in was not an option. A normally 35 minute commute ended up 5 Hours.

Roads got iced over, and the Movie theatre along the way let out the crowds. All the folks riding on salami skin equivalent tires were in all directions clogging the road. While my truck was 4x4 and had siped tires I was still stuck, blocked by all the rest. At one point I drove on the sidewalks, front lawns etc, still did not make much headway.

Talked to the evening night crew on the cell phone giving out tasking, setting priorities, keeping lead-man's head from exploding.

No do not miss it at all.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #9

Snow!! Where is Nords when you need him?

Always do your own due diligence, I make a lot of mistakes.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #10

Privately laughing his head off.

"I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I have to admit, snow (actually, the problems it causes) was in my top 5 reasons for moving here. I have never missed it once, though I admit it has a beauty all its own. Now, I can watch it on TV if I so desire. YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Snow!! Where is Nords when you need him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Privately laughing his head off.
Shivering my assets off. It was 58 degrees this morning.

I've already put away my tank tops for the winter and started wearing short-sleeve t-shirts. If this crazy weather keeps up then I'm going to have to shut the lanai door and find my start wearing my socks on our new tile floor...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #12

No snow here either, but my mother was scheduled to fly down yesterday to spend some time in S Florida and her flight was cancelled.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Here in WNY, we got 8"+ between yesterday & this morning, on top of some sleet & 45mph+ breezes out of the midwest yesterday. Enough to cause a hillside down the road to slide down & throw 12-15 trees across the highway. So we put another pot of coffee on, worked the crossword puzzle in ballpoint, went out about noon to snowblow the driveway, came back for another cuppa, watched Shepard Smith on FNC, and somehow struggled to remember what it was like when we DID have those commutes. Lovin' being ER'd.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #14

After living in upstate NY as well as south Jersey prior to moving here about 25 years ago, I have no nostalgia for snow or any of its associated cousins. As I recall, it always seemed to snow when it was cold. Is that still true?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

No snow here in Sacramento, (almost never is,) but it got down to 28 a couple of mornings ago.

Back in the early 70’s, my new wife and I went to a show in San Francisco and saw something called “Asparagus.” It had a fast talking spokesperson, a silent little magician, and a keyboardist by the name of Weir. The spokesperson announced they were going to do the amazing “Snow Bunny” illusion. While the spokesperson proceeded to go on and on about something with the tall hat sitting on a pedestal in front of him, the little guy faded off stage. When time came for something to pop out of the hat, and all of our attention focused on the pedestal in the darkened theater when we were shocked by the loud banging sound coming from behind us. The silent partner, wearing a large gorilla head, banging cymbals, charged down though the aisle from the back of the theater. As we all turned to see “WTF!” it dawned on us that we had all been distracted from the stage with hat sitting on the pedestal. Of course the spokesperson then commenced to pull something other than a bunny from the hat. Someone shouted, “Hey, that’s no bunny!”

The spokesperson and the magician are still performing together, on TV and Las Vegas, and are extremely successful.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok elderdude Penn and Teller started in a trio called the Aspsragus Valley Cultural Society the third guy was Wier Chrisemer ... But what does that have to do with my original post?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, that's no bunny! Get it? Wink, wink, nod, nod.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If this crazy weather keeps up then I'm going to have to shut the lanai door and find my start wearing my socks on our new tile floor...
One thing I noted, after replacing nearly all the carpet in the credit union's my house with either tile or "engineered" wood, was how much colder my house is in the winter...

Late to this thread, but forecast for today is 67 and sunny! Kinda makes up for last summer's 70 days over 100...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #19

Quote:
4X to 12X could get pretty ugly if your x value is typically >1 hr. Been lucky with now snow/ice here in north texas this winter, but all the construction is still a pain. My commute is one of the bigger factors that make me yearn for retirement.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
One thing I noted, after replacing nearly all the carpet in the credit union's my house with either tile or "engineered" wood, was how much colder my house is in the winter...
It's definitely colder in the winter, but it's also much cooler in the summer.

Between our tile and our ceiling insulation I find that we don't open the familyroom windows as much, and we don't run the ceiling fans anymore.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote