Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Pardon me while I take a nap.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

This reminds me somewhat of another recent thread about self respect and ER. I think it's in the American DNA that we are obliged to always be productive. Seems to me this thread is exibit A.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #23

Feel guilty for what? For being able to do what you want after not being able to do what you want for decades to earn the wherewithal to do what you want?

Which is exactly what I'm going to do in July when I leave my job.

Nope, no guilt here.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

My one year anniversary is approaching and I look back on the past year and feel a little worthless. I accomplished next to nothing. I used to get up at 5 am on weekends to squeeze in all my hobbies. Gardening. Home improvement, golf, boating. Now because I have so much time I don't feel compelled to get things done and ironically I put off things I enjoy also. I think I will put myself on a schedule to rid these feelings. Soon. If not today then tomorrow. Definitely by next week. Or so.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Recently retired, 3 weeks. I don't feel any guilt or negative feeling. I deserve my time enjoying to do something or nothing at all. I'm my own boss from now on.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I retire, quit my job, and never work for somebody else again, the only thing I'm going to feel guilty about is that I didn't so it sooner.

I can guarantee there's not anything anybody could ever say to me that would make me guilty about never working again.

My Mom (God bless her) was the type that would care what other people thought. "What would the neighbors think?" is something she'd say sometimes when one of us kids would do something questionable. Thankfully, I never inherited that gene.

I don't care what the neighbors, or anybody else, thinks about what I do, or don't do, in life. Other peoples' approval, disapproval, or guilt trips mean nothing to me.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It seems to me from reading a lot of posts on here over the years that very few of us really sit around and do nothing. Ambitious fitness or sport performance or travel goals, cooking, maintenance of large homes and yards, volunteering, study.

If this is true, and I believe it to be, it makes sense. We each put together a lot of money some way, by some combination of training for, getting, and keeping a very good job, or saving a bundle or excellent investment results.

This is not an everyday result for an easy rider. It reflects strong drive, conscientiousness, and work ethic.

Ha
Old 05-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When I was working, just before our evaluations were done we had to write an e-mail summarizing everything we had accomplished since the prior evaluation.

On the other hand, one nice thing about retirement is that we don't have to report our accomplishments to a supervisor. We are each our own supervisor, and can do whatever we decide to do. Often this is the first time in our lives during which we can do this. This experience can be one of the greatest joys of retirement.

So, don't make these other retirees your supervisor.

If I choose to do nothing, that is my choice. Feel guilty? No way! We have earned our retirements and should enjoy whatever we decide to do, or not do, in retirement.
Newbie here and retired 6 months. It seems the first question I get from everyone is asking what I've been doing. I know they mean well, but it's becoming somewhat annoying--probably because I have been pretty laid back so far in the so-called decompression mode and don't have a lot of excitement to report, I guess.

I think I'll leverage your comments which I've bolded above and craft a response such as, "Enjoying not having to report accomplishments to a manager." LOL.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I was thinking about this earlier today. Though I'm not nearly as busy as I used to be when working, (actually I'm quite idle), for some reason I feel I get more accomplished.

Like reading a great book, walking the dogs. What's meaningful to me, is what I now do. And that can be nice long naps.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

But, what about not being inclined -unless forced to- to do social, community work? Not giving back some of what society has given you? Dodging the whole issue by just giving some money on partcular -very few- occasions?

I am one of those selfish, antisocial guys. And I feel sorry for myself.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
But, what about not being inclined -unless forced to- to do social, community work? Not giving back some of what society has given you? Dodging the whole issue by just giving some money on partcular -very few- occasions?

I am one of those selfish, antisocial guys. And I feel sorry for myself.
Buenos Dias Vicente! We have not heard from you for over two years. How are you doing?
Old 05-19-2013, 04:16 AM   #32

What do you feel guilty about exactly ? Doing nothing ? Social issues ? Family concerns ? Mental health matters ? Financial concerns ? I am not sure I understand what you are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigal50 View Post
I am recently (2weeks) retired. I was talking with a group of retirees yesterday after golf. Common amongst the group was the experience that if they "Do nothing" for a while they feel guilty and have to accomplish something.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
What do you feel guilty about exactly ? Doing nothing ? Social issues ? Family concerns ? Mental health matters ? Financial concerns ? I am not sure I understand what you are saying.
Are you asking me. Or are you addressing the Forum.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #34

I was answering the OP's comment. His/her post was quoted in my post. Not sure where the confusion comes from...
Quote:
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #35

Quote:

Just doing what he does.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #36

Well, if I am the one that's being asked, an honest answer would be....social issues. Compounded with knowing that I am not really useful for anybody in anything that matters....
Old 05-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #37

Not sure how to interpret this. When I answer someone, as I did here, I always quote the poster's text I respond to. When I address the forum, I don't quote anyone, or I create a new thread. Anything wrong with this approach ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Just doing what he does.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #38

When I ER there is no way I will feel guilty for all the work I put in to get a good education, working at Megacorp for all those years continually improving my skills that supported their revenue and which they felt were valuable enough to promote me and give me raises, supporting my wife and children to provide love, food, shelter and allow them to make many choices, and saving and investing enough to become financially independent with no need to be supported by others.

Bored? Maybe, but I have enough non-work projects, hobbies, and friends that I can't see it. Guilty? Never.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Well, if I am the one that's being asked, an honest answer would be....social issues. Compounded with knowing that I am not really useful for anybody in anything that matters....
I've never set foot in Spain but would like to. Advice about what to do would be very useful to me.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #40

Because I was working only 2 days a week in the 17 months prior to my ER, it was not a big chance to my everyday life when I ERed. But ERing made it possible for me to spread out my daily activities more. Before, I had to put all of my errands and volunteer work and weekday evening hobbies into 3 days which was sometimes a juggling act. But once I ERed I no longer had to do that. I do try to bunch my errands together simply because it is more efficient (and with gas prices so high, less costly).

Now that I am ERed, I have some "free" weekdays which have no errands, volunteer work, or evening hobbies. Those are my "do nothing" weekdays. Of course, my weekends are usually "do nothing" days because my outside hobbies and volunteer work is all weekdays and I never do errands on weekends because it is too crowded with the rest of the working world (and my former world).

And I feel guilty about nothing.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote