Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Not sure how to interpret this. When I answer someone, as I did here, I always quote the poster's text I respond to. When I address the forum, I don't quote anyone, or I create a new thread. Anything wrong with this approach ?
Obgyn65, I think you got it right. And, it's a good way of doing it.
__________________

__________________
redduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
vicente solano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I've never set foot in Spain but would like to. Advice about what to do would be very useful to me.
Advice about what to do? Hey, save watching out for pickpockets in a few places in Barcelona, ha ha, ...... Just come!
__________________

__________________
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #43
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I've never set foot in Spain but would like to. Advice about what to do would be very useful to me.
One I'm still looking forward and on my "gotta do" list is Flamenco performance in south Spain.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
vicente solano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,116
Pleeaaassseeee, Michael !!!
__________________
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
One I'm still looking forward and on my "gotta do" list is Flamenco performance in south Spain.
Dancing and not a bull fight
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 489
Andalucia is well-suited to ER/ESR lifestyles. And with Spain's 25% employment, it's cheap(er) too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
One I'm still looking forward and on my "gotta do" list is Flamenco performance in south Spain.
__________________
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Andalucia is well-suited to ER/ESR lifestyles. And with Spain's 25% employment, it's cheap(er) too!
I don't think I'd feel comfortable living somewhere with THAT high an unemployment rate. Too much chance for unrest, upheaval, strikes, etc.
__________________
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets
In-control's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 319
People say this like it's a goal. Then after 1 hr sitting in a chair their re-arranging the rooms furniture. I think that we, humans, have a fundamental need to be productive. Even if it means going for a long walk. To me a job does not necessarily mean that your being productive and can be a major source of frustration.

It is not really what others value but what you do. To feel that I have a productive day if I eat right, get some exercise and help a person or two. Either at work or outside of work. Everything after that is just a bonus.
__________________
Just Trekking thru!
In-control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
vicente solano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
I don't think I'd feel comfortable living somewhere with THAT high an unemployment rate. Too much chance for unrest, upheaval, strikes, etc.
Excuse me, but I am not aware of any of those EXTREME situations diminishing the numbers of EDUCATED expats settling here continuously....... As a special courtesy I'll let you know when we'll start killing each other....
__________________
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Excuse me, but I am not aware of any of those EXTREME situations diminishing the numbers of EDUCATED expats settling here continuously....... As a special courtesy I'll let you know when we'll start killing each other....
Beware Vicente, it usually starts with wives or girlfriends doing nasty things to their innocently sleeping partners.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
steelyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Triangle
Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post

Advice about what to do? Hey, save watching out for pickpockets in a few places in Barcelona, ha ha, ...... Just come!
Thanks, Vicente! I also have a Sicilian friend who will steer me clear if I can come to Italy. But it would be fun to see Spain and pretend to be Hemingway
__________________

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
vicente solano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Beware Vicente, it usually starts with wives or girlfriends doing nasty things to their innocent, sleeping partners.

Ha
Has my comment been too acerbic, or was your post a clever joke. Being an English learner entails having doubts about the precise meaning of posts
__________________
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #53
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Pleeaaassseeee, Michael !!!
You think I shouldn't?
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Has my comment been too acerbic, or was your post a clever joke. Being an English learner entails having doubts about the precise meaning of posts
Just a joke, and not a particularly funny one. Perhaps only decipherable to people who are familiar with US crime reporting.

I do think that it is funny for an American to worry about violent crime in Spain.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
vicente solano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You think I shouldn't?
No, of course not. It's just that Flamenco is.....one of the typical Spanish cliches by which Spain is commonly looked upon. Ok, I'm not totally fair- I don't like it. As I don't like bullfights or Benidorm/Torremolinas. Hey, but I love paella
__________________
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #56
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
vicente solano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You think I shouldn't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Just a joke, and not a particularly funny one. Perhaps only decipherable to people who are familiar with US crime reporting.

I do think that it is funny for an American to worry about violent crime in Spain.

Ha
Hear Hear!!!
__________________
I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #57
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
No, of course not. It's just that Flamenco is.....one of the typical Spanish cliches by which Spain is commonly looked upon. Ok, I'm not totally fair- I don't like it. As I don't like bullfights or Benidorm/Torremolinas. Hey, but I love paella
Ok, now I get it.
I don't care for paella, but I do enjoy chipirones and cheese from the Basque region. And have seen Paco de Lucia perform twice, which is what inspires me to want to see Flamenco in its place of origin. Not sure about living in Spain, but it is number 1 of places I want to get to know before the worms get me.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.
Sojourner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-control View Post
I think that we, humans, have a fundamental need to be productive. Even if it means going for a long walk.
This is certainly true on some level for virtually everyone -- it's just part of who we are and how we've evolved. Today's urge to be "productive" probably comes in large part from our ancient ancestors' drive to acquire food, build and maintain shelter, and do all the daily stuff needed just to survive for another day/week/month. Seems pretty natural to me that we all still have that drive within us, although in our modern world of plentiful food, shelter, etc., it is expressed in more complex ways.

Personally, I don't usually feel good at the end of a day where I do "nothing". There has to be some semblance of productive activity for me to feel happy and satisfied. For me, that can be as simple as washing the car or cutting the grass, but honestly the most satisfying days are ones where I accomplish (or at least make progress on) something meaningful to me that isn't just a routine chore. I think it's human nature to be fulfilled by doing productive work, and it's very much up to each individual to define what that entails.

To the OP's question about feeling guilty about not getting things done on a set time table, I guess I would say that it's not about feeling guilty. It's about feeling unsatisfied and unhappy over the long run if you're procrastinating so much that you're never really achieving anything meaningful (i.e., meaningful to you).
__________________
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.
Redbugdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Personally, I don't usually feel good at the end of a day where I do "nothing". There has to be some semblance of productive activity for me to feel happy and satisfied. For me, that can be as simple as washing the car or cutting the grass, but honestly the most satisfying days are ones where I accomplish (or at least make progress on) something meaningful to me that isn't just a routine chore. I think it's human nature to be fulfilled by doing productive work, and it's very much up to each individual to define what that entails.

To the OP's question about feeling guilty about not getting things done on a set time table, I guess I would say that it's not about feeling guilty. It's about feeling unsatisfied and unhappy over the long run if you're procrastinating so much that you're never really achieving anything meaningful (i.e., meaningful to you).
Good points Sojourner. That's the same way I feel and operate. I never gave it much thought, till now. I do know that life is too short to waste.
__________________
"I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it." Ashleigh Brilliant
Redbugdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Sometimes, doing nothing is the most productive thing I could be doing...
__________________

__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.