Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

sigh...I guess Einstein was right
Old 03-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

sigh...I guess Einstein was right

About time. I swear as I get closer and closer to my retirement date, time seems to be slowing down! 139 work days left but it seems like 130 years. I envy those of you that just up and decided to retire with little notice because this anticipation is killing me.

How did you all handle the last 6 months? Do you just not focus on it? I have tried that but it is tough to do. When I was 3 or 5 years out it seemed like such a distant issue that I could focus on other things in my life. But as the reality of it becomes more and more real my focus is more honed on that date and it is all I can think about.

sigh.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I counted down the number of Mondays remaining, rather than days. Or if there's some periodic task you do (biweekly status meeting, monthly budget update) try counting how many of those you have left.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Didn't apply to me. Sold our house in mid Oct 2011 and last day of work was just before Christmas of the same year. Broached subject with employer about the time we knew we would be closing on the house so I was only a lame duck for about 60 days.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I had decided on my ER date about six months prior, but waited until three months prior to give notice. The first three months did drag on for me, but once I gave my notice did the time fly! It helped that I had two planned vacations during those last three months. The rest of the time was spent training others and documenting procedures and tasks to help after I was gone.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #5

Just think of us poor schmoes who have years and years left, and feel chipper.

Congrats on your impending ER!

Can you find some angle you can use to make your last few months more meaningful? Mentoring someone, for example?
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While everybody at work knows I'm a short timer, nobody knows exactly when. And I plan on keeping it that way.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #7

The longest march is made one step at a time. I've got 15 months to go and just keep focused on making that next step...
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
Just think of us poor schmoes who have years and years left, and feel chipper.

Congrats on your impending ER!

Can you find some angle you can use to make your last few months more meaningful? Mentoring someone, for example?
Well I am on contract to another friends firm. Nice project, nice people, nice client--hell I even contracted to only go into the office 2 days a week and telecommute the rest of the week. I just don't want to do this scale of project anymore. "I" would retire right now but my wife needs to work for the six months to get her pension. "I" could opt to retire now but "I" would be sleeping on the couch. And I couldn't do that to her anyways. We will get to the end together.

When I retire it just means I am being an Architect as a hobby. I will still do some work but just stuff that interests me. I don't need to bring money in. But this current contract is very good money--in the next six months I will probably make 6 times the amount I anticipate I will make in the next year. So that is tough to walk away from.

So the money coupled with not abandoning my wife means I am in for 6 months. But you are right it could be 6 years!
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #9

If it is consolation, I am still working and I think about retirement every day. Not the specific date on the calendar, but just what I need to do before that date and what I want to do after. I do not anticipate any more than 2 years to go, could be less. Being prepared and having a plan will encourage success.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I didn't handle it well. I was convinced I needed a few more months. It was making me ill, I met with Fidelity, went over the numbers again. The numbers were OK, my problem was a date and fear.

When we talked I realized how insignificant the last few months were. Your situation may be different waiting on deffered compensation or other dates. I no longer suffer all the anxiety and physical pain.

Wish you the best,
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #11

I am firmly locked on to my July 2014 retirement date. About a month or 6 weeks ago I started getting a mild case of cold feet and creeping uncertainty about this looming date, thinking "Well, maybe I'll go until Dec. 1, or next Jan. 1". Not that there is any advantage to my working to those dates. But some new ridiculous bureaucratic directives (that benefit no one, least of all our clients) gave me fresh impetus to quit waffling and put the plan into action. I visit SS next month and will also make an appointment with my HR around the same time. I will have to write a letter of resignation to my agency Administrator. My immediate supervisor and my friends are all well aware of my plans. The rumor mill is in overdrive, and a few folks have approached me to say they have their sites set on my job as soon as I give notice (an anticipated vacancy notice will go out, inviting applicants). I am giving thought to marking the end of this part of my life with a trip: hiking a portion (a very SMALL portion) of the Appalachian Trail with an organized group.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

And after you retire it will speed up like crazy...
Old 03-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The closer I get to the end, the worse it gets. I had to take a week vacation when I had 3 weeks left of work. I think it's just the stress of trying to tie up loose ends
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:55 AM   #14

When I got down to the last year, I'd tell myself that's the last January I'll work, the February, and so on. Seemed to make time go faster counting down each month.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
gone traveling

Down to my last 3 months, plan july exit at 53, each day i feel happier and happier...
Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
When I got down to the last year, I'd tell myself that's the last January I'll work, the February, and so on. Seemed to make time go faster counting down each month.
I do this as well. When I go into Seattle I commute via the ferry and in the winter it isn't any fun. So I tell myself, well this is the last time you have to get up at 4:30 to catch an early morning ferry in the rain, etc.

I do see the light at the end of the tunnel and I do get happier each day. It just seems that time is slowing down. It is almost a reliving of being a kid at Christmas or summertime. You know when it NEVER seemed like Christmas or the summer vacation was going to happen and finally it did. Same mental thing. I just gotta keep plugging along!

Luckily I can talk about this with my wife but there really isn't anyone else I can talk to (besides here) because 99% of the people we know aren't ready for retirement and won't be even when they hit retirement age. So I just never bring it up with them as it is just an uncomfortable conversation. Even at this contract job I am working, my friends who own the business are older than me and aren't ready for retirement. I am just going to tell them that I am focusing on my own business (which is sort of true) as I don't want to have that conversation with them!
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

I agree with you about the loneliness of ER-ing alone. I have no spouse, and like you, my family and friends are no where near ready, which makes me feel very guilty. My exit date is end of June, and things are really moving at a snail's pace. Plus, I've been working out of town, and have an apartment here that I need to clear out of before moving back to my home in the PNW. I plan on kicking things into gear mid-May to get this ball rolling already.
Second Wind is offline   Reply With Quote