Signed up for some classes

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Still in my first year of retirement and while I’ve been getting some things done and have taken a couple road trips, I haven’t felt like I’ve done anything to grow or experience new things. So yesterday I signed up for a few classes at the local community college. I’ve signed up for a couple cooking classes. One is a basic overall class and the other is a knife skills class. I’ve also signed up for a hobbyist drone class and a water aerobics class. I’m hoping this will get me out a little more, meet/interact with some new people and get on track with some exercise. I’ll post some aerial photos if I get a drone. The class supplies the drone for training.

Here’s hoping year two is better than year one, recognizing that so far, year one has been pretty good.

Excellent! That's a diverse group of classes you've jumped into. And I can't think of any class that would be better than one that produces food.

I took some classes when I first retired and I found that the classes jump started me into new things.

Best wishes for a great year 2!

Drones and community college Sounds exciting! After a recent hurricane, evacuated residents could see the status of their property by viewing drone video on the city’s web site. There is so much untapped potential with new technologies.
I’m glad to hear about your community college and am considering the same when I retire in two months. Instead of going back for an MBA, I’m thinking it might be more rewarding at this stage of my life to go to a community college where I can take something I’m interested in, roll up my sleeves, and actually do something. (Was a manager for decades and watched others have all the fun)
Thoughts?

I attend a community college, mostly for the access to a good fitness center at the bargain pricing of auditing a single credit hour yoga class. At the CC I'm attending once I'm 60 I'll be able to audit classes tuition free, paying only a nominal registration fee. It truly is a great deal now that will only get even better.

If you're attending looking for people to interact with I'd suggest you go the fitness center early in the morning, when other retirees tend to congregate, or at the lunch hour where you might engage with some of the CC staff/instructors on their lunch break. You may find very limited interaction within the classes you're attending, since my observation is that many of the younger students don't even want to interact with each other, let alone an old guy/gal - so don't go in with high expectations. Hopefully the classes you've selected have other older people auditing them that will be able to share relate-able interests. Also don't be surprised over the number of high school students attending CC these days, many HS kids are getting a jump on college courses funded by their HS school district funding. If you attended a traditional University you may also be surprised at the degree of non-serious students that can attend a CC - some of these kids are very lost in their life and academic skills. It's still worthwhile to utilize CC's but just go in with realistic expectations -you will not be reliving the glory years of your own college experience.

Great insight FireFool. I was wondering about those very things, and thought I might be the only over 50 in the class. Also like your point on cc fitness center. The cc web site has so many classes that look interesting.

Jerry1, sounds like you jumped right in with multiple classes, I’m thinking of doing the same. Looking forward to hearing how they are going and how many retirees are in class.

New Classes

I have also started new classes. Mostly at the gym...pilates and yoga. The Apple store nearby has free classes which have been fun to take. Recently bought my first "real" camera which I bring on birdwatching walks. Having the time (and stress free mind) to explore new activities is one of my favorite parts of FIRE!

Sounds like a great idea. Taking/ auditing classes is also on my to-do list. I would like to take some fitness classes and a language.

Still in my first year of retirement and while I’ve been getting some things done and have taken a couple road trips, I haven’t felt like I’ve done anything to grow or experience new things. So yesterday I signed up for a few classes at the local community college. I’ve signed up for a couple cooking classes. One is a basic overall class and the other is a knife skills class. I’ve also signed up for a hobbyist drone class and a water aerobics class. I’m hoping this will get me out a little more, meet/interact with some new people and get on track with some exercise. I’ll post some aerial photos if I get a drone. The class supplies the drone for training.

Here’s hoping year two is better than year one, recognizing that so far, year one has been pretty good.

Good for you ! I met a whole new group of friends through water aerobics and a book club.

We just celebrated our two year FIRE anniversary. So far I’ve tried to avoid activities that require a regular schedule as I’m really enjoying my freedom. I do a lot of volunteer work, but I schedule it myself for the most part. Online self-paced classes may be the ticket for me. Enjoy!

Just last week I started visiting our local senior citizen center....strength class, balance, Tai Chi. There are many more, having nothing to do with exercise; I am waiting till it feels more comfortable.

In AR, folks 60+ can take a college class at a state college/university with no tuition or fees. We took History of Vietnam last summer. We were not accustomed to so much reading and think it was great for us. We plan to enroll in another class Summer 2019.

There are additional opportunities at our public library and local colleges that we know we should take advantage of, but have not yet.

I was always wanting to go to our local community college to learn how to do basic auto body repair--and maybe learn how to paint cars. Retirees can audit the classes for free.

But I remain a bus driver since we're raising our 7 year old granddaughter. I have to be at her private school at 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Our days go very quickly.

Great idea! We’re finding joining various groups has been important for us in retirement. We plan to relocate about 750 miles next year, so we’ll be joining new groups all over again.

Another benefit of taking classes at your local CC is that you can take advantage of 'free use software' many of them offer. I've been using Office 365 Pro and Windows 10 Edu that I got through my local CC.

We just celebrated our two year FIRE anniversary. So far I’ve tried to avoid activities that require a regular schedule as I’m really enjoying my freedom. I do a lot of volunteer work, but I schedule it myself for the most part. Online self-paced classes may be the ticket for me. Enjoy!

I agree on avoiding schedules. Most of these classes are one or two days. The only scheduled class is the aerobics class which is once a week for 14 weeks. And, while I don’t really want a schedule, I’m forced to conclude that may be the only way I’ll get in some regular exercise given that I’ve done practically none this entire year. Unfortunate, as exercise was one of my pre-retirement goals.

I agree on avoiding schedules. Most of these classes are one or two days. The only scheduled class is the aerobics class which is once a week for 14 weeks. And, while I don’t really want a schedule, I’m forced to conclude that may be the only way I’ll get in some regular exercise given that I’ve done practically none this entire year. Unfortunate, as exercise was one of my pre-retirement goals.

Whatever works for you! I do a few things that are scheduled such as a water aerobics class and a standing evening meetup with my best friend once a week.

Just a heads up ... Don't always expect to get treated as an adult.... you're in with a bunch of kids and there are hard and fast rules to keep them in line...you need to comply to the letter, just like they do.

I enjoy the Osher classes offered by the university. Not all colleges have an Osher program or similar adult lifelong learning program, however, but many do. The offerings are quite varied and pretty extensive. Our local parks department also offers interesting adult programs called Lifetime and Leisure. I've toured a coffee roasting facility, an worm composting center, backstage at the ballet, a radio station, and other cool stuff.

Just a heads up ... Don't always expect to get treated as an adult.... you're in with a bunch of kids and there are hard and fast rules to keep them in line...you need to comply to the letter, just like they do.

I'm sure it depends on the type of class. I've taken a bunch of photography classes at a community college but they were all the "adult education/continuing education" type, usually running once a week, three hour classes (with a break of course) for four to six weeks. I think the youngest person I saw was ~30. No one was treated like a kid.

But these are not the regular for-credit type classes where one may run into the issue you mentioned.

I'm sure it depends on the type of class. I've taken a bunch of photography classes at a community college but they were all the "adult education/continuing education" type, usually running once a week, three hour classes (with a break of course) for four to six weeks. I think the youngest person I saw was ~30. No one was treated like a kid.

But these are not the regular for-credit type classes where one may run into the issue you mentioned.

Correct. These are structured towards adults/seniors.

Correct. These are structured towards adults/seniors.
Right, the adult ed classes, you're a customer. The 'for credit' classes are the ones to watch out for. But in my experience, the for credit classes are an order of magnitude cheaper.

I can relate to that. One of the coursework papers I did last year had a mandatory attendance requirement – roll call at the beginning of each class. I was the oldest person in the room by some margin ... and that included the instructor.

I can relate to that. One of the coursework papers I did last year had a mandatory attendance requirement – roll call at the beginning of each class. I was the oldest person in the room by some margin ... and that included the instructor.

Same thing w/ law school. Yes, after I retired, I went to law school. It's a long, boring story but it's something that I really enjoyed; except the attendance part. After a couple of months, it didn't bother me to much though...maybe because I knew I didn't HAVE to be there.

I was about 20 years senior to the "average" student, so I had some trepidation about "fitting in", but it was a great experience and I gained some great friends during the adventure. I did notice that in the night section (mostly older, gainfully employed folks) had a lot of older students who were more "set in their ways" and had a difficult time being around the younger students. It was an interesting dynamic, to be sure. I learned that if you didn't constantly play the, "been there, done that card" then the youngin's were easy to get along with. It didn't hurt that I enjoyed getting the occasional adult beverage with the kiddos, either; in law school, they call it "bar review" and I was quite proficient! :)

Did something similar in a short stint in medical school in Italy - was very interesting I was one of the oldest there....just forgot to add that to my where I lived post - Milan, IT

Back
Top Bottom