Join Early Retirement Today

Six Months In!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Six Months In!

So....today is the 6 month anniversary of my FIRE date. So far it has been everything I expected and more.

Some things that I have learned:

1. It is possible to play golf up to four times a week but five is a stretch on the mind and the body.
2. If you walk whenever you golf (and carry your clubs) you put in five miles and burn about 2000 calories. I walked over 400 miles and lost 15 lbs.
3. I'm told I smile a lot more and not coincidentally my blood pressure has dropped.
4. Every day is like a Saturday except you don't feel compelled to have to do everything on that day as tomorrow is always another Saturday.
5. Costco is less of a zoo on Tuesday morning.
6. I'm spending less than I thought but the winter flights from the snow have yet to begin so that may change.
7. I'm going to need a warm place to go for a couple of months each winter.
8. You need to get out of the house every day.
9. After years of travelling and eating most meals out I find that I am actually a pretty good cook.
10. Just because you have the time to undertake major projects around the house doesn't mean you should. Some things are better left to the professionals.

This is just but a short list of what I have learned. Thanks to all in the group who helped make the first six months an easy transition!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats!

Rocky, somewhere between Ft. Collins and Albuquerque is probably top of the list for us as a retirement location, since NJ is not doable. I have been there in the winter as we have family in Denver, but never spent an entire winter out there. Is it bad enough to need escaping? I am used to NJ, NY and OH where it gets cold, wet and is grey for months.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Is it bad enough to need escaping?
Certainly not! (But don't tell anyone.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:21 PM   #4

The cold puts a bit of a crimp in my outdoor activities. Knees can't take the skiing like they used to.

But Ron is right...escape no...a respite, yes.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
So....today is the 6 month anniversary of my FIRE date. So far it has been everything I expected and more.

1. It is possible to play golf up to four times a week but five is a stretch on the mind and the body.
2. If you walk whenever you golf (and carry your clubs) you put in five miles and burn about 2000 calories. I walked over 400 miles and lost 15 lbs.
3. I'm told I smile a lot more and not coincidentally my blood pressure has dropped.
4. Every day is like a Saturday except you don't feel compelled to have to do everything on that day as tomorrow is always another Saturday.
6. I'm spending less than I thought but the winter flights from the snow have yet to begin so that may change.
9. After years of travelling and eating most meals out I find that I am actually a pretty good cook.
10. Just because you have the time to undertake major projects around the house doesn't mean you should. Some things are better left to the professionals.

This is just but a short list of what I have learned. Thanks to all in the group who helped make the first six months an easy transition!

I'm also at 6 months.
-In Florida, golf courses don't allow walking (at least all the courses I play). I do run 4 miles every other day.
-I lost 15 lbs as well, but now I find I'm eating more on the side since food is so readily available.
-Concur on blood pressure and smiling - I've found the same.
-I do try to get out of the house at least daily.
-I always feel like I have to be doing something - still - can't seem to just relax.
-My spending is much higher than I expected- but that probably has to do with establishing a new household and needing to buy a lot of new stuff (food, furniture, etc).
Old 12-31-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am so happy for you Rocky & Oma!
This gives me something to look forward to...eventually!

~M
Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Congratualtions Rocky and Oma . I am at two years . The time just flew by and I agree with getting out of the house at least once a day . Unless it's a snow day which we never have in sunny Florida so I occasionally declare them . The only thing I would add to your list is push yourself to try something new each year . It keeps retirement interesting .
Old 01-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

[QUOTE=

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips. I just retired yesterday so I'm sure your experience will be helpful to me. I live in northern Michigan, and I already know I need a warm-weather respite for a couple months or so each winter. Already starting to plan that for next winter (can't leave for more than 2 weeks this winter due to other obligations). And, I do plan to get out of the house every day.....I have a yellow lab that needs to exercise, so if nothing else we will go for a long walk every day. I'm not much of a golfer, but I love to fish, so I will substitute your advice (4 times weekly max) about golfing, for fishing. Actually, if I can get out fishing about twice each week, I'll be thrilled. And, I'm already seeing what you mean about every day being a saturday. I looked at my list of things to do this weekend (I have one every weekend), and just realized that I don't have to do all that stuff before sunday night.....I think I may wait and do some of it next week!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with Ron. This is my third winter in Fort Collins, the heaviest snow yet, and haven't felt the need to escape. After a day or two of snow, the sun comes out and it feels great!
Old 01-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on your retirement!
You sound so happy - looking forward to your mindset 6 months from now.

Do you get chinooks in Denver? That's what makes winters in Calgary bearable.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Administrator

RockyMtn, thanks for the interesting list! I wonder if mine will be the same after six months.

RAE, congratulations on your retirement yesterday! Sounds like you are adjusting to it well. I am so happy for you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

Yes!. It's all good.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hey great list! Congrats!

Audrey
Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #14

Don't get me wrong on my comments on the Denver weather. I have been in Colorado for 20 years and absolutely love the weather. I have also lived in Portland, Ft. Lauderdale, Phoenix, Houston and D.C before moving here. In addition I spent about half my time commuting to LA for w*rk the last ten years. For year round weather I have yet to find anything that beats Colorado.

However, I do have quite a jones for the golf course and while I have been able to get in 11 rounds in November and 4 in December those days are going to be dwindling as the courses will be pretty much covered in snow from here on out.

Skiing is my other outdoor option this time of year but the old knees don't quite support that activity like they used to.

I have three, one week long trips planned in Jan, Feb and March so maybe that will be all I need. We'll see.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Funny you say that. Everyone who has retired from my employer has this permanent smile plastered on there face. Some people who were real jerks and very abrupt, abrasive and surly have become the nicest, friendliest people after they left.

One of my old bosses, would hardly take to me, told me once I'd never be promoted while he was there (I was thanks to my immediate supervisor fighting for me) and was generally regarded as a complete jerk, called me a few months after he left. He went into consulting and i ended up working with him. He asked how I was and about my family and we had a great converstaion and still have a great relationship. He even told my supervisor, he was impressed with my hard work and knowledge. I thought the body snatchers must have gotten to him

Oh and congrats!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #16

lower blood pressure is a good thing...mine was 106/68 last week...and I'm still wo*king.