Join Early Retirement Today

Slow days after ER
Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Slow days after ER

Been retired for more than 2 years and am enjoying it. Realistically, not everyday is full of activities. I have quite a few slow days in a month. To me a slow day is the THIRD (not the first 2 days) consecutive day when I have no appointments with anyone - I practically am with myself the whole day at home or around the neighborhood. No conversations with anyone other than casual greetings with regulars I bumped into in the neighborhood. I will have the TV, my computer, smartphone, newspaper and books to occupy me including my daily exercise. I am usually appreciative of the peace, routine and serenity of such days but if this runs on for 3 days consecutively, I recognize the 3rd day as a slow day and need to have some interactive activities ( like classes, lunch meet ups, go for a movie, etc) the next day. What's your slow day like?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I take classes through our local Osher Lifelong Institute. They have a "semester" schedule. I tend to find slow days occur between semesters. It might be a combination of no classes, no plays, and no book club meetings all at the same time. My inclination is to either take a day hike, motorcycle ride, or cook. Shopping or reading doesn't fill the time.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy routines like you. Between coffee, newspaper, walking, workout, 9 holes of walking golf, and some Internet readings I can fritter a whole day quickly and accomplish nothing. I usually visit my GF every night so that takes care of my basic human interactions. I email daily constant communications with my friends who are bored at work. My job over the years turned me into a social recluse. A time or 2 a week with friends for a few hours, and that is all I need.
I am interested in how this ER in winter works out. I have been retired 3 years, but continued with a couple PT jobs that were more winter based. I dropped them both this spring. Maybe I will paint my house a new color during winter. The way I have turned into a piddler, I am sure a one week job can take me the whole winter to complete.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Been retired for more than 2 years and am enjoying it. Realistically, not everyday is full of activities. I have quite a few slow days in a month. To me a slow day is the THIRD (not the first 2 days) consecutive day when I have no appointments with anyone - I practically am with myself the whole day at home or around the neighborhood. No conversations with anyone other than casual greetings with regulars I bumped into in the neighborhood. I will have the TV, my computer, smartphone, newspaper and books to occupy me including my daily exercise. I am usually appreciative of the peace, routine and serenity of such days but if this runs on for 3 days consecutively, I recognize the 3rd day as a slow day and need to have some interactive activities ( like classes, lunch meet ups, go for a movie, etc) the next day. What's your slow day like?
Almost all days are slow days for me, because I love this type of day. Most of my days are just like yours, except that I always get together with Frank for lunch and we spend the afternoon together. On MWF we go to the gym together before lunch. So, I interact with him on a daily basis and with others at the gym or at Weight Watchers or wherever. That is plenty of interactive activities for me. If/when he ever decides to go back to work, I will probably go to the gym every day just to get out of the house.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On a typical "slow day" I will get up, fix some breakfast, do some reading and internet surfing. Then I'll fix lunch. Afterward, I'll go for a walk and maybe take an afternoon nap or listen to the radio or music. Do some tracking and research on my investments. Sometimes I will watch DVDs of a comedy like Seinfeld or Cheers. And there are always things to do around the house. Fix supper, get on-line again, do more reading, etc.

I'm a little like you in that after 3 days, I do feel a need to get out some. Maybe go grocery shopping or to a restaurant. I'm in a meditation group that meets weekly. Also go to church. Between all this and visiting family and friends meets my human interaction needs. For what it is worth, I am a strongly introverted person so I don't "need" as much human interaction as most people.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have also noticed that after 2 slow days in a row, it is often time to do something about it.

DW and I have 4 parents in the area, so a visit to any one of them will often cure the problem quickly.

-gauss