Join Early Retirement Today

Slow Golfers
Old 06-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Slow Golfers

For you older golfers that have slowed down, are you doing anything different now. I know a 90 year old golfer that marshal's three days a week and golfs two. He still plays with an inexpensive set that he bought 30 years ago.

For my self, I'm having back problems and have been trying out the 3/4 limited vertical swing method and like the results but seem to lose some distance. With my stiff back my swing speed is slow. I play with an old set of regular flex lynx and wonder if I would benefit by going to a senior flex, hybrid, or even a ladies flex.

I would like to hear what you've tried that help and didn't help.
happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What courses do you normally play in Houston?

Regarding your question, have you seen a pro regarding club fitting? They would be able to help you out big time.

I played with an older gentleman (85?) two weeks ago that pretty much hit hybrids on every shot. I'm guessing he hit sr flex graphite.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can hit a ball as far with a half swing as a full swing. All timing. If you go down in distance just adjust and club down. We all go through that at one time or another. I just find myself hitting better long shots than I used to and that is due to better club technology. Don't get frustrated.
Bir48die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
What courses do you normally play in Houston?

Regarding your question, have you seen a pro regarding club fitting? They would be able to help you out big time.

I played with an older gentleman (85?) two weeks ago that pretty much hit hybrids on every shot. I'm guessing he hit sr flex graphite.
I just put another hybrid in my bag today. I now only have irons 6-s/w. My bag consists of 4 woods, 2 hybrids, 7 irons and a putter. If that's not a geezer bag I don't know what is.

As far as my swing slowing down, yes is has. I still hit my driver about as far as I ever have though. Only because technology has helped so much. My iron distance has suffered some. I'm not going to worry about losing distance, what I do need to work on is my short game. My wedge game on in is pretty inconsistent.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
For you older golfers that have slowed down, are you doing anything different now. I know a 90 year old golfer that marshal's three days a week and golfs two. He still plays with an inexpensive set that he bought 30 years ago.

For my self, I'm having back problems and have been trying out the 3/4 limited vertical swing method and like the results but seem to lose some distance. With my stiff back my swing speed is slow. I play with an old set of regular flex lynx and wonder if I would benefit by going to a senior flex, hybrid, or even a ladies flex.

Have you moved forward to the 'gold' tees? (how old are you?)
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:46 PM   #6

Some good suggestions already, get fitted, more hybrids, move up to a shorter set of tees, golf specific exercises for strength and flexibility.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

65 here with a bad back and sore hip. Play Adams hybrids senior flex and tee off with a Callaway 18 degree hybrid regular shaft. Just came off the course and shot a 41 for nine holes, should have been a 39 but I missed two putts within six feet. I play with mostly seniors, playing ready golf and can knock out an 18 hole round under four hours with no problem.

As for my game I don't hit it long but hit it straight and when my short game is on, play pretty decent in the low 80s.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

I couldn't justify paying for lessons as I wouldn't be able to spend much time on a driving range with my back and I've only been playing about once every 2 or 3 months. The 3/4 swing has helped with my back and I may start playing more if I become more comfortable with it.

I'm trying to figure out if the new shafts and clubs really do help or if it's mostly, marketing hype. It wouldn't be worth buying new clubs if I only gain 3 or 4 yards. Are there inexpensive brands that perform as well as the Top brands?
happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
gone traveling

I thought golf was a definition of slow.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Are you going with the "Don Trahan Swing"? Check out Dave Seeman on youtube, lots of good free videos. He was a Trahan teacher whowent off on his own.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I couldn't justify paying for lessons as I wouldn't be able to spend much time on a driving range with my back and I've only been playing about once every 2 or 3 months. The 3/4 swing has helped with my back and I may start playing more if I become more comfortable with it.

I'm trying to figure out if the new shafts and clubs really do help or if it's mostly, marketing hype. It wouldn't be worth buying new clubs if I only gain 3 or 4 yards. Are there inexpensive brands that perform as well as the Top brands?
Check out Hireko golf. They have components and full clubs that perform very well for way less than name brand. I built a set of irons for myself that are really great.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Google "eri crum speed golf" he's DWs chiro

http://thepnga.org/boises-crum-takes...-bandon-dunes/

we play fast golf at crane creek
Old 06-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Is more distance the only thing you're looking for? As most get older and their swing slows they find it more difficult to get the ball up in the air, especially with their long irons. That's one of the main reasons why they switch to hybrids, they are just easier to hit. The longest iron in the bag of a couple of the seniors I play with is an 8 iron and they use hybrids for anything longer. I would recommend getting rid of any clubs with iron shafts and replace them with graphite shafts, they are lighter, easier to swing, and with the right flex you should get more club head speed (distance).
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
That's one of the main reasons why they switch to hybrids, they are just easier to hit.
Agreed. I can hit my 3h about 200 off the tee. 180 to 190 off the deck.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agreed. I can hit my 3h about 200 off the tee. 180 to 190 off the deck.

Thats a good poke! My 5 hybid will be buried with me... My 3 hybrid I never know where the ball is going to go so it has been put in the garage. I will pity myself when I cant swing full and hard as that is where my timing comes from. Can still get that PW to do the 140 yd dance on must needed occasions. Will be a sad day when I have to slow my swing down along with a partial turn and learn the game all over again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

^ that's when I put a good swing on it - 5h maybe 170 off the deck?

PW I hit maybe 115-120 off the deck?

I usually carry driver, 3w, 3h, 4i, 5h, 6-LW (4 wedges), putter

When I walk and carry my bag I usually carry driver, 3h, 4, 6, 8, pw, sw, lw, putter
Old 06-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Fastest Ball Speed of any Sport. Including Baseball, Hockey, Etc.
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
^ that's when I put a good swing on it - 5h maybe 170 off the deck?

PW I hit maybe 115-120 off the deck?

I usually carry driver, 3w, 3h, 4i, 5h, 6-LW (4 wedges), putter

When I walk and carry my bag I usually carry driver, 3h, 4, 6, 8, pw, sw, lw, putter

I cant use tees with irons, I just drop the ball. My 5H travels about same distance as yours does. Outside of my PW the 5H is one of the few clubs I can count on to go straight. I try to bridge my 9 iron down to the 5 H to compensate for wildness, ha!
As far as slow players go, in my brash 20's I would launch an "exploratory probe" to send them a message. Now that I have some money in the bank and don't particularly have an interest in potentially fighting anymore, I just play slow behind them and not let it bother me. Now on my local membership course I just drive around them and tee up on next hole in front of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
Fastest Ball Speed of any Sport. Including Baseball, Hockey, Etc.
That makes it worse. 240 minutes to hit a ball 100 times if you're lucky. What a waste.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Walk? How do you carry your beer cooler?