Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I could probably live in a 600-750 sq ft house as long as I had a 2000 sq ft. shed.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This could be a plan B if one runs out of money.
My class C RV has more room than that, and has a separate shower stall. The smaller RV has the same wet bath arrangement like that house.

But then, it makes sense. My RV is 8' by 26', hence twice the square footage of the smallest tumbleweed house. And it's self-propelled. So, I am set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I could probably live in a 600-750 sq ft house as long as I had a 2000 sq ft. shed.
I have seen RV'ers putting their class A inside a huge hangar or a barn. There, that's what you need.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Interesting! But don't stop at the house. One needs to have such a house situated on a large lot that is paved over and completely walled off, with a remotely controlled electronic gate. No mowing or weeding, and lots of parking and privacy... but the resale would probably be abysmal. The house itself could be pretty small but for me it wouldn't look like a man room at all.
Holy Cow!!

You have just described my perfect house!!!
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
Holy Cow!!

You have just described my perfect house!!!
Too bad that others don't have the same idea. They don't seem to be easy to find in the average suburban community.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Now, imagine that on top of the all-encircling wall is some barbed wire...

I can now picture the house...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Now, imagine that on top of all encircling wall is some barbed wire...

I can now picture the house...
Maybe broken glass pieces under the barbed wire would help, too.... I remember seeing walls like that in Mexico City when I was a little girl, and they fascinated me.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

All right! Let's make the wall 12 ft high. When do you break ground?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My class C RV has more room than that, and has a separate shower stall. The smaller RV has the same wet bath arrangement like that house.

But then, it makes sense. My RV is 8' by 26', hence twice the square footage of the smallest tumbleweed house. And it's self-propelled. So, I am set!
Our Class B has a much better utilization of space. Our Galley is much better/larger. We can seat four at our table... well, only three because we have added a (removable) large clothes closet. When we convert the Queen-sized bed into a Sofa -- one button operation -- we can even set up a second table. We can use the seating as two Single Beds if we felt like it -- again only one because of the Closet. Our shower can either be that size or if we use the Shower Curtain, it can occupy twice that space.

Oh! And we have an Awning that is as good as a Porch -- certainly much larger.

And... Best of all: I can go anywhere a car can go.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I did a Spanish Immersion in Nicaragua earlier this year and the next door neighbors to my home-stay had a 8' wall with broken bottles/glass all the way around it. The house on the other side had 4 strands of barb wire... There is a whole 'nother world out there that people need to get out there and see

I'm single and not a stuff collector so could easily live in a 500sf house. I really dislike yard work so would prefer no lawn to keep up. My current home has 2.5 acres and it takes up a good 2 or 3 hours a week of my time. I grumble and complain the entire time I am forced to do it. I do have the property fenced in with the electric gate entrance though, so at least I do have one of my wishes.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Most men, if left to their own devices, would design a house that looks a lot like a kennel. Concrete floors and walls with a floor drain. There would be nothing hanging on the walls (maybe some antlers). After awhile maybe a rug would go down on the floor, but that would probably be it for textiles.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All right! Let's make the wall 12 ft high. When do you break ground?
12 feet high is good. But should we electrify the barbed wire? And maybe a moat with a drawbridge would be a warm and homey addition, like the smell of cookies baking.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Most men, if left to their own devices, would design a house that looks a lot like a kennel. Concrete floors and walls with a floor drain. There would be nothing hanging on the walls (maybe some antlers). After awhile maybe a rug would go down on the floor, but that would probably be it for textiles.
And for most guys the walls have to be white! None of those other sissy colors.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Our Class B has a much better utilization of space.

And... Best of all: I can go anywhere a car can go.
When shopping for used RV, I got really interested in the VW Rialta which is lighter than your RoadTrek. Its engine may be on the puny side. Despite that, these were fairly rare and in high demand. The few that were offered locally were snatched up before I could even make an appointment to go see them.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
12 feet high is good. But should we electrify the barbed wire? And maybe a moat with a drawbridge would be a warm and homey addition, like the smell of cookies baking.
Make the drawbridge strong enough for an RV to drive on, and you have a house with good resale potential there!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Well, I am not a man, but have to admit, Not such a bad idea actually.

Perhaps the walls could be painted a nice pretty color and nix the antlers... forget the rug, would get in the way of hosing down the floor, LOL I would need a nice comfy leather recliner, a TV? a stereo, a good bed, couple lamps, a small closet... I am not much into cooking so we can skip the full kitchen but would like a fridge and microwave. I'm all set!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And for most guys the walls have to be white! None of those other sissy colors.
Exactly. When it needs to be touched up, it's easy to find the exact right match. And use gloss--it cleans up the best. A single bare 100W bulb on a cord in the middle should amply light a big room.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #58
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
More proof that I am not really female.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

We need an architect member to draw this up. It will serve as the ER Forum model home.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You are more that likely right but there is one problem with that......Women. No female worth her salt would live like that.

My husband laughs at me but I have told him that with out Women there would be no civilization. Think about it. Some woman somwhere in time complained and nagged about not having something and some guy invented it to shut her up.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.