Join Early Retirement Today

Smartphone permanently on silent
Old 10-31-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Smartphone permanently on silent

Has anyone else put their permanently on silent? I think it's one of the advantages of retirement.

Nowadays, apps generally include sound notifications automatically, and it can be a pain to turn them all off individually. Best to just go silent, I think.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
Has anyone else put their permanently on silent? I think it's one of the advantages of retirement.

Nowadays, apps generally include sound notifications automatically, and it can be a pain to turn them all off individually. Best to just go silent, I think.
Mine is always just turned off. I check it for messages when I get up in the morning, sometimes in mid afternoon and before I go to bed. I also will leave it on if I am expecting an inbound call. I recharge it maybe 2 or 3 times a year
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Mine is permanently on silent. Put it on silent before a movie some time ago and accidently left it like that. My watch shows emails, texts, phone calls for a brief few seconds. I choose to respond or not depending what I see on my watch. I don't get many texts or emails, and very few phone calls. The phone silence is great.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still working but my phone has been on silent for probably 8 years. I only turn the ringer on if I'm expecting an important call, and immediately turn it back off once I take that call.

The fact that I leave the ringer off drives my father crazy. He believes phones are for other people's convenience, so THEY can reach YOU whenever THEY want. Um...no.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I put my cellphone on silent. I got rid of it.

After spending 36 1/2 years talking on the phone, I have chosen to talk very little on the telephone. It's just another unneeded expense.

My wife has a Tracphone, and she talks enough on our home phone for us both. I do carry her phone with me whenever I'm out fishing--in case I run out of gas or if the boat doesn't start.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:55 PM   #6

Probably once every 3 weeks or so I misplace my phone "somewhere" in my house. I need that ringer on !
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:04 PM   #7

I kind of enjoy hearing the ring, although I put it on silent whenever appropriate, such as a medical office, theatre, etc.

I have different ringtones set so I generally know who's calling without having to look at the phone. For example, DW's ringtone is "Hail to the Chief". She got such a kick out of that she set my ringtone on her phone to be the same.

Other contacts have their own distinctive ringtones. When I'm with people and my phone rings, they often get a kick out of connecting the song with the caller.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:19 PM   #8

I keep my iphone on do not disturb so only contacts on my favorites list ring through, all others go to voicemail.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:20 PM   #9

Mine is always on silent. I check it once or twice a day. I can't stand when phones ring in inappropriate places--ie. meetings, church, lectures--so I don't want to join the legions of people who REALLY MUST answer their phones at all times! I refuse to be interrupted.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #10

Mine is usually on silent unless expecting an important call which isn't often at this point. The lost phone is an issue on occasion but thankfully 'Find my iPhone' will make it beep even when on mute.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:36 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I put my cellphone on silent. I got rid of it.

After spending 36 1/2 years talking on the phone, I have chosen to talk very little on the telephone. It's just another unneeded expense. ...
I've never owned a cell phone and don't miss it. Most of the calls we get on our landline are junk calls.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #12

I have two flip phones. One for job search in my field. One for job search not in my field and doctors. They are pretty much silent these days.

The only smartphone rings when I get a junk call which is once a day.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'd had a cell for w*rk for many years. Not too much of a problem. Actually it helped me to have the maximum amount of privacy and still be informed.

The last year and a half was pure insanity. We were getting 700+ texts nightly(only ten or so mattered) with a former marine as a manager. He didn't know what the messages meant, only that no one sat up all night reading the damn things. It was not fun! Frankly a 14 hour conference call caused my BS bucket to overflow!

Shortly after I retired my DF was dying, it became necessary to forward his calls to voice-mail as the dementia took over.

Today no problem.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:09 PM   #14

I wish there was a way to put it on silent for a set period, say an hour or a few hours. Whenever I put it on silent I usually forget to turn the ringer on again.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
Nowadays, apps generally include sound notifications automatically, and it can be a pain to turn them all off individually.
What apps? Why don't you just turn them off when you install the app for the first time? My apps never give me sound notifications because I set them so that they don't. I probably haven't had to set one for 5 years or so, because I already have all the apps I want.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What apps? Why don't you just turn them off when you install the app for the first time? My apps never give me sound notifications because I set them so that they don't. I probably haven't had to set one for 5 years or so, because I already have all the apps I want.
There always seemed to be one I'd miss, based on the early morning dings. Going permanently silent resolved that.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:19 PM   #17

I don't have a smart phone. I have a dumb cell phone which is turned off most of the time. My relatives call my home or my wife's smart phone if they want to contact me. This system suits me fine. I found that having a smart phone is good only if I need something urgent.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
I wish there was a way to put it on silent for a set period, say an hour or a few hours. Whenever I put it on silent I usually forget to turn the ringer on again.
There a number of apps for that. Do a search.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #19

Pretty much always silent here - also I have very few apps. Starbucks, Flashlight, Maps, Bank, not much else really, so none of them have notifications.

App Schmap, if I really want to do something, I have a very nice gaming PC. Google on my desktop, and fitbit on my wrist, tell me when my phone is ringing.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:22 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

When I got a new phone, I found out just how many apps I had shut notifications off. It was a real annoyance to reinstall all these apps and get dings and popups.

My Moto G4 does have a feature where if you put it down on it's face (with a case the glass doesn't touch and scratch), you aren't bothered by calls and notifications.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote