Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

The storm's supposed to miss NY State because we're sitting under some frigid Canadian air - it's 6 degees right now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Frigid Canadian air is not 6 degrees, that's balmy Canadian air. Cold starts at -40 and frigid is even colder.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #23

To

[Johnnie, if you click on the "edit" button just below this post you can add to your comments]
Old 12-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbender View Post
Well here I am in Southwest Virginia, right smack in the bulls eye of a major winter noreaster snow event. They are calling for 12-18" here. There are 5 inches on the ground already and it's not supposed to stop until tomorrow evening.

Things are entirely different now. No commute and no real worries. I can actually appreciate the event.

I used to live in MD where panic would ensue every time it snowed. Now I live in VT (which appears to be on schedule to avoid the storm you're talking about - go figure!) It's great here when it snows overnight. We just sleep in a little later. When we're ready we go snow-shoeing in the woods behind the house or in a nearby state park. I do a few volunteer things each week but none of them involve saving peoples' lives, so if the snow is too deep to drive in, I just call them and say I won't be in that day. (I don't like to do that, but it's nice to know I can) As long as there's enough food, toilet paper and beer in the house, there's no need to go out.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Were about 40 minutes north of Roanoke, VA and I just go back from dropping my wife off at w*rk. She works in emergency services and they have gotten slammed. She had helped them out over the phone and thought they were going to be able to work through it all but everything fell apart.

We have about an inch of ice and 6” of snow on top of it. Looking at what’s out there and what it’s calling for were getting another 12 to 18”. The bad part is the apartments we live in don’t have out side outlets so I have to use a tinny Honda 15 amp genset to plug up my truck.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Bad timing today. Went out onto the roof for daily ten minutes of sun; it was soooo warm, but I had a schedule to keep and didn't have time to go back and change into shorts and a tanktop, or less. We're not looking at a white Christmas here either, maybe heavy rain instead. I put in 28 years in the tundra and can conjure up the memories in a flash, blizzard winds pelting on any exposed flesh.... Pooh, tomorrow is Saturday and the 9 to 5ers may be out there in the sun; they tend to complain too much about stuff like work, barking dogs, noisy neighbors, things that don't interest me; nm, the weatherpeople say Monday will be like today. Get that on the calendar.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

18-20 inches in my driveway this morning with another 5-10 inches coming today. Looks like a plow had been through in the last hour so I'm going to try to get out. I already shoveled all but right by the street in case the plow comes back before I go.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Just a bit of snow here, mostly didn't stick to roads.

Lived on the DC Beltway for ~20 months. Those folks don't get snow. Mother lived in Baltimore MD for a while in the '40s; she agreed with me.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #29

We had about 1 1/4" of snow overnight....most of it was melted off the cars, driveway, and sidewalks by the time I ventured out at about noon. I brushed off what little was left on the cars, and made a quick clean-up pass with a shovel on the drive and walks....total snow removal time about 10 minutes...including standing around watching the birds frolic around the feeders. The streets around town are all cleared off too!

It's a rough life here in the winter...but I coping OK....oh, and the first batch of Christmas cookies are in the oven!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

It did not snow today in upstate NY. <prolonged silence>

Unimpressed?
I'll just dig out 2008 pics of snow piled up to approx navel height in the backyard.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

We are at about 24 inches in Reston, VA at 10 PM on Saturday. Snow is tapering off and nothing is moving on the streets in our development. Several schools have already announced they will be closed Monday, some Tuesday. This storm was a record breaker for our area. Listening to the scanner and hundreds, if not thousands of accidents. Picture is from mid-afternnon when it was light out. It's far worse now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4825.JPG (227.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #32

We got about 8 inches of snow where I live in western PA. I did manage to make my play in Pittsburgh yesterday as the main roads were well-treated, and I just lumbered along in my SUV. We skipped dinner in town and grabbed something closer to home as I worried about the roads freezing at night. It is supposed to be cold but sunny here today with flurries and scattered snow showers the rest of the week.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

The view this morning. Waiting for the plows to come by.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4834.JPG (167.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4835.JPG (353.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Planning to retire sometime in 2010 - depending on when the stars align and when I can't take it anymore.

Does all that snow factor in the "I can't take it anymore" syndrome?

btw....lovely pictures...
Old 12-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the comment.

Yep, definitely a factor. It's not so bad if I didn't have to go anywhere, but the thought of the commute tomoorw is not pleasant . I may have to just make the decision my presence is not necessary to the proper functioning of the government.

AZ is a real possibility, but the summers there may be worse than the winters here. Snowbirding is always a possibility, but then I would first have to retire and then we are talking a lot of extra outflow. A real conundrum.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...perhaps you could call in sick tomorrow...

I've lived in areas of snow and heat. I think I'll take the heat in TX (about 25 northeast of Dallas)...of course there are fire ants, etc.....

After you retire you'll have time to figure out what suits you.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #37

To quote and add on to the thread title: "Snow and Retirement" should not be used together. Let me outa here - please, pretty please-.

I've had good news and bad news so far this year. First the bad news, we've set record low temperatures of near -40 in early December. Now the good news, only a few inches of snow.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Good news for all Feds in the greater DC area - the government is closed tomorrow. And I will me mainlining inuprofen tonight after all all the driveway and car clearing.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

One last free snow day for me. Now only 5 more working days left.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
It did not snow today in upstate NY. <prolonged silence>

Unimpressed?
I'll just dig out 2008 pics of snow piled up to approx navel height in the backyard.
2 days in a row of no snow. This is wierd.
I'm almost starting to feel guilty, seeing how folks in the MidAtlantic states got clobbered.
<1 second pause>
Ok, I got over it.