Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2009, 03:47 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I lived in Tidewater VA from 1979-82 while my husband was in the Army, and I worked for a federal agency in Norfolk. At the first flurries the place was shut down for us civil servants, and we fled the premises like rats in a sinking ship so terrified were the locals of snow of any kind. Up here in western PA(other than the schools) a state of emergency would have to be announced before my state agency let us go. I keep a pillow and some cans of soup and tuna in my cube just in case I get stuck there some day.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The New York City area got clobbered by snowstorm Saturday and Sunday. Long Island in particular got hit hard, especially its eastern half, with 2 feet of snow. I live in its western half (Nassau County) so we got only about 1 foot of snow.

I am soooooooo glad I don't have to endure the lousy commute on the trains to my (former) office in Jersey City, New Jersey. When I worked full-time in the 1980s and 1990s I had many horrible trips on the trains to my office (then in lower Manhattan). When I switched to part-time in 2001 I was spared many but not all the bad weather-related trips.

My car has been in an indoor parking garage spot in my apartment building since 1994 (just after that awful winter), so I have rarely had to dig it out of snow in the last 15 years.

Just glad I don't have to deal with any of this stuff with the commute any more.
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
The view this morning. Waiting for the plows to come by.
We are soooo glad we finally got a house with a garage for that reason!

And Saturday also reminded me why the investment in an Ariens snow thrower was one I am happy to have made. We got about 18-24 inches depending on where one measures.

The Hagerstown (MD) Almanac forecasts a nasty winter. Yuck.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

We live in snow country and like it. The big reason being retired we just seat around the fire until the roads are plowed. I get out my trusty Honda snow blower clear the driveway and we can go if we want to.

I do feel sorry for the people around us who have to work. I am glad I do not have to drive to work when the roads are so bad.
Freein05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freein05 View Post
We live in snow country and like it. The big reason being retired we just seat around the fire until the roads are plowed. I get out my trusty Honda snow blower clear the driveway and we can go if we want to.

I do feel sorry for the people around us who have to work. I am glad I do not have to drive to work when the roads are so bad.
Yep...same here, though no fire to sit around, and I have a nice shiny new Toro instead of the Honda! Ha! We always have enough food and stuff in the house to last us for weeks (if not months), so there's no 'need' to get out in nasty weather or when the roads are bad....however, I usually venture out anyway just to go for coffee with the gang!

A waitress asked me this afternoon, what the heck I was doing out on a day like this! I said "A day like this!? This a walk in the park! Heck, it's 8° above zero, NO wind, and the sun is shining! I used to work outside in weather FAR WORSE than this....sub-zero, 20-30 mph winds, snow falling and blowing to 'white-out' conditions....working around and with water...poopy water....at night!!! For the first 15 years of my job!!!" (Plus being the newest guy on the crew, I was always the one in the hole with the hip-boots or chest-waders, rainsuit, and hardhat on!)

Now that I don't have to get out in it, I don't mind winter in the least! Besides, Spring will be here in only 77 more days!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Yep...same here, though no fire to sit around, and I have a nice shiny new Toro instead of the Honda! Ha! We always have enough food and stuff in the house to last us for weeks (if not months), so there's no 'need' to get out in nasty weather or when the roads are bad....however, I usually venture out anyway just to go for coffee with the gang!

A waitress asked me this afternoon, what the heck I was doing out on a day like this! I said "A day like this!? This a walk in the park! Heck, it's 8° above zero, NO wind, and the sun is shining! I used to work outside in weather FAR WORSE than this....sub-zero, 20-30 mph winds, snow falling and blowing to 'white-out' conditions....working around and with water...poopy water....at night!!! For the first 15 years of my job!!!" (Plus being the newest guy on the crew, I was always the one in the hole with the hip-boots or chest-waders, rainsuit, and hardhat on!)

Now that I don't have to get out in it, I don't mind winter in the least! Besides, Spring will be here in only 77 more days!!!
Goonie, you have EARNED your retirement, the hard way!!! Nobody in their right mind would ever begrudge you one penny of that ample but hard-earned pension. I am glad you can finally stay inside if you want to.

I like your preparations, having enough food and stuff in the house to last for weeks. That is what I am planning to do too, when we move north.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
......I like your preparations, having enough food and stuff in the house to last for weeks......
And enough gasoline to run the generator for several days continuously, or a couple of weeks intermittently....in case of power outages due to ice, wind, etc.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And enough gasoline to run the generator for several days continuously, or a couple of weeks intermittently....in case of power outages due to ice, wind, etc.
Luckily, Frank is planning to get a generator and so I can always walk over there and "camp out" during power outages. This is assuming we end up living very close to one another (as we are hoping). He is always prepared so he will have plenty of gas for it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Luckily, Frank is planning to get a generator and so I can always walk over there and "camp out" during power outages. This is assuming we end up living very close to one another (as we are hoping). He is always prepared so he will have plenty of gas for it.
A Kerosene heater or two is always handy in an extended power outage to make sure your pipes don't freeze. they will run for 12 to 24 hours on a fill up.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #50

Quote:
I bought a generator after an ice storm left us without power for four days. Living with a woman who can't have her hair dryer and morning coffee is not fun!

So I got a Honda super-quiet model, transfer switch and stuff, and she was uncertain that it would be worth the expense. It was enough to run the gas furnace, refrigerator, TV, computer, and some lights. The first day I had everything hooked up she came home from work and I asked if she noticed anything unusual:

She: "No, I didn't."

Me: "Did you notice that ours is the only house on the block with lights on?"

Ha! I love vindication!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
A Kerosene heater or two is always handy in an extended power outage to make sure your pipes don't freeze. they will run for 12 to 24 hours on a fill up.
I have one of those too....that used to be the primary heat source in my workshop for a long time (now I use three 150watt infrared heat lamps and a small ceramic electric heater that I run on low at about 750watts....those will take the shop from 35° to 60° in about 40-45 minutes....it's extremely well insulated!)
Old 01-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #52

My step-father worked at a Water Sanitation Plant and I agree that you earned your retirement pension, Goonie. He showed me his place of work one time and it would not have been the job for me. I sure am glad that people are willing to do it, though.

I also keep plenty of food and supplies at the house. However, I just cleaned out my food pantry and lazy susan over the weekend and had to throw away quite a few expired food items. I was appalled at the waste. I definitely need to do a better job of moving items from the back to the front and of knowing what I have before purchasing more.

Goonie, I hate to wish my life away, but I can't wait until the days until Spring is in the 20s or 30s. Keep on counting!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
.....Goonie, I hate to wish my life away, but I can't wait until the days until Spring is in the 20s or 30s. Keep on counting!
OK.....let's see......um.......er.......Oh Yeah!!!! Only 75 days 'til Spring!!!

(I was outside sticking tomato cages in the ground today!!! But that was only 'cause I put them over some shrubs, and then wrapped burlap around them to keep the shrubs from getting winter leaf burn from the sun & wind! Hahaha!!!)
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins
;885868 Up here in western PA(other than the schools) a state of emergency would have to be announced before my state agency let us go.
You mean you get to have off if there's a State of Emergency. Here, the Governor declared a State of Emergency once last month and I stayed home because of it. The next work day I found out I got an unexcused absence for that day. So much for safety first.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

When we lived in Central OH, we didn't get much snow; only once in a while. I used to hate it because it made my commute three times as long. After we retired, we moved to NE Ohio and we have lots of snow every year so far. I love every minute of it. We have a least a foot of snow now and its a beautiful winter wonderland. Its fun to take the dogs out for a walk; our golden retriever especially loves the snow and his big thing is rolling around in it. We don't run the snow blower until DH feels like it; if we have to go out for something, we have a 4-wheel drive truck. So we're happy here and enjoying it very much.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #56

I could live the rest of my life without seeing snow and be fine.
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote