Join Early Retirement Today

Snow and Retirement
Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Snow and Retirement

Well here I am in Southwest Virginia, right smack in the bulls eye of a major winter noreaster snow event. They are calling for 12-18" here. There are 5 inches on the ground already and it's not supposed to stop until tomorrow evening.

In my working days, the threat of snowfall would lead to the inevitable calculation of how it would affect my commute and how and when I would accomplish all the additional snow-related chores. In other words . . . . snow was a drag.

Things are entirely different now. No commute and no real worries. I can actually appreciate the event. I am at home where I can easily take care of all necessary chores, which I now enjoy since I can schedule and accomplish on my terms, and really enjoy the beauty of the event.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And since there's no need to rush to w*rk in the morning, there's no urgency to shovel.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Once again, wonderful not to be an essential or any kind of empl*yee. We are under winter storm warning. Any guesses from 3" to 6".

Them plows will look really good while hanging onto a cup of coffee in the morning.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

After our truck wouldn't start due to busted block heater and -30C weather, I had to spend some uncomfortable time outside monkeying around. When I came into the house (upset) I told me wife "That's it! I've decided we're spending winters some place warm when we retire! I refuse to die here in this weather!".

I guess though I can see how if a person didn't have any worries regarding getting to work and appointments winter wouldn't be that big of a deal. If the weather sucks just stay home.
schmidtjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I really enjoyed not having to find a way to work through our heavy rain, minor flooding, and pea-soup fog earlier this past week. I just say at home with a cup of hot chocolate, watching the cars battling their way to work on the news.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtjas View Post

I guess though I can see how if a person didn't have any worries regarding getting to work and appointments winter wouldn't be that big of a deal. If the weather sucks just stay home.
Do remember living in NY, my '72 VW block heater was a 100 Watt lightbulb, an' a blanket clamped around the engine cover. Not quiet -30C.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh, great. And I have theater tickets for a matinee in Pittsburgh...Jane Eyre. I am planning on taking a co-worker and meeting my cousin for the event. After wards having dinner at a new pan-Asian restaurant. I do have a Toyota Land Cruiser, but I hate driving in the snow beyond a few miles for local stuff. I will play it by ear and see what the morrow brings. I leave for FL on Tuesday and the weather looks okay for my jaunt to the airport.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtjas View Post
"That's it! I've decided we're spending winters some place warm when we retire! I refuse to die here in this weather!".
A friend of mine told me her husband got sick of shoveling snow when they lived 'up North'. He said he was going to strap the snow blower to the top of the car and head south. When he reached a point where someone asked while pointing to the snow blower..."What's that?" He would know he was in the right place.

I always thought I would never move back to St. Louis because of the winter weather. Now that DH and I are both retired, the snow wouldn't bother me as much since we could hold up for a while and not have to fight the frozen rush hour frenzy.

Hmmmmmm......
Old 12-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

That's what I am expecting - when retired, it's no problem. Being a Sat. storm, it isn't as big a deal, unless you are a merchant. I might have to spend some quality time with my snow shovel, tho.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

You may find this NWS radar loop webpage to be somewhat useful.
NWS - Enhanced Doppler Radar National Mosaic Loop

You can also click on your region on the national map graphic to zoom in on your locality. Or just enter your zip code at www.noaa.gov and select the radar graphic halfway down the right side of the page, then select the composite radar loop option at upper left.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbender View Post
Well here I am in Southwest Virginia, right smack in the bulls eye of a major winter noreaster snow event. They are calling for 12-18" here. There are 5 inches on the ground already and it's not supposed to stop until tomorrow evening.

In my working days, the threat of snowfall would lead to the inevitable calculation of how it would affect my commute and how and when I would accomplish all the additional snow-related chores. In other words . . . . snow was a drag.

Things are entirely different now. No commute and no real worries. I can actually appreciate the event. I am at home where I can easily take care of all necessary chores, which I now enjoy since I can schedule and accomplish on my terms, and really enjoy the beauty of the event.
I'm calculating how this snowfall will affect my commute...to the slopes where I can ski powder tomorrow! We could get 2 feet.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Back in ancient times when I worked and lived in Colorado - I would often muse how the Eskimos had many different names for snow.

During the week going out to get it off my car - and driving thru it to work:

VS

The Weekend with a couple of fellow skiers driving thru it to Vail.

Similar snow different names - which I leave to your imagination.

heh heh heh - may get a few snow flurries here north of Kansas City and me in ER with no particular place to go. Maybe an evening drive?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'm calculating how this snowfall will affect my commute...to the slopes where I can ski powder tomorrow! We could get 2 feet.
Where are you? I like snow but I hope I don't have to shovel that much.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Well on the SE side of VA we've yet to see a flake. They say that may/will change tomorrow and I'll be looking for timeshare weeks in Florida -- again! Maybe Arizona and Texas, if I really get wound up. White Christmas bah humbug that!
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Hellbender, I'm from SW VA as well (outside Roanoke). I know exactly how you feel. I retired recently and other than missing several holiday events scheduled in Roanoke this weekend, I am looking forward to the snow! It'll probably be a couple of days before our road is plowed but we're all set for enjoying time at home. Was out earlier this evening sledding with two of my grandkids. What a blast and no worries other than possibly losing power. Now that would be a drag.

What part of SW VA are you from?
freddyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Pulaski/Claytor Lake
Old 12-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Pulaski/Claytor Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyw View Post

What part of SW VA are you from?
I reside in Pulaski County (Hiwassee/Allisonia) I live between the New River and the New River Trail State Park. I believe we now have about 7" . . . .and no sign of letup. I have tickets for the Tech basketball game at home tomorrow. I hope it gets postponed 'cause I don't think I'm going anywhere tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I reside in Pulaski County (Hiwassee/Allisonia) I live between the New River and the New River Trail State Park. I believe we now have about 7" . . . .and no sign of letup. I have tickets for the Tech basketball game at home tomorrow. I hope it gets postponed 'cause I don't think I'm going anywhere tomorrow.
Pulaski County is a beautiful area. I was a scoutmaster for our local troop (Troutville) and we would make it a point to go to summercamp at Powatan. As you mentioned, it is also close to VT as well. Go HOKIES!!!!
freddyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Real Close
Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Real Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyw View Post
Pulaski County is a beautiful area. I was a scoutmaster for our local troop (Troutville) and we would make it a point to go to summercamp at Powatan. As you mentioned, it is also close to VT as well. Go HOKIES!!!!
Powatan is real close to me. Only about 5 minutes away. Last summer I helped out a scoutmaster who got lost trying to find Powatan. I like the idea of living in a place where scoutmasters get lost.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And since there's no need to rush to w*rk in the morning, there's no urgency to shovel.
YES!!!
I remember way too many cold, dark, early mornings, freezing my butt off, while the wind was whipping the still-falling snow into my face, out shoveling snow and clearing off the cars so I could go to work. Bah!!! The winter of '06-'07....the last winter that I was still working....I swore that I would NEVER shovel any snow, or clear off any car, before it was light out....and before I was good and darn ready too!!!

This is now winter #3 since ER.....and I've faithfully kept my vow!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where are you? I like snow but I hope I don't have to shovel that much.
I'm at Wintergreen, on the mountain. We just went outside to check it out (on foot), about 9 inches, no signs whatsover of letting up. They keep the mountain plowed though, because of the ski resort. If I can get up the first big hill (at least a 20% grade), I'll be ok.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote