Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
Our plan is 2 months in Florida (Jan-Feb) and two months in Maine (July-Aug). Other than those months, we're happy in middle GA. We're caring for an elderly parent right now, so the plan is on hold.

This is our similar plan, for the moment anyway, but a bit further west. We're thinking NW Arkansas for perhaps 8 months of the year with Jan-Feb in Arizona or South Texas and then July - August in the Rockies. Escape the coldest and hottest times. Bought a fifth wheel trailer to make it work. Once we decide to no longer camp or travel that much, we will have some roots down in AR where it's relatively decent throughout the year and we have family.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #22

I've spent parts of summer in Scottsdale and a lot of winters in Chicagoland. It's much better spending the winter in az.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)

Old 07-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I've spent parts of summer in Scottsdale and a lot of winters in Chicagoland. It's much better spending the winter in az.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Certainly agree that Arizona is better in the winter. In fact I would say it's great for about 8 months a year. The summers are brutal though. A week or two ago they hit 118F. Been there once or twice when it was 115F. Not fun. The pool was 93 degrees without the heater. I don't mind if up to 90-95F above that no thanks. Of course it is, as they always say, a dry heat. North Scottsdale is usually a couple degrees cooler than Paradise Valley but I doubt they would notice.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #24

one of my neighbors moved from AK and says it's way too hot here (ID)

we're having a very mild summer - I think the high yesterday was 84 and projected to be highs in the 70s this weekend - love it
Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I will take the advice of a friend and use his 3-90 rule. Back in the day, when he had 3 days in a row of 90+ degree days down here in Texas, he would hook up the fifth wheel and head to Ouray or Silverton until the fall, then head back. I'm a bit behind schedule, I'd better get packing!
Old 07-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfuego View Post
I'm a bit behind schedule, I'd better get packing!
60 days is a "bit"?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
60 days is a "bit"?
Ok, a LOT behind, lol...
Old 07-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm in the process of arranging a "reverse snowbird" lifestyle which will include my two favorite hobbies, skiing and salt water fishing. I will live in Salt Lake City during the winter for what is arguably the "best skiing in the world" and go then to Florida for the great saltwater fishing in the summer. I retired fifteen years ago and after "reformatting" myself, I am finally in a position to make this happen!
Old 07-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my soon to be retired crew members is already naming his RV 'chasing 72'. They will be where ever the average daytime temps will be 72, a month at a time. Sounds like a pretty 'cool' plan!
Old 07-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #30

We did the snowbird thing for four years. Six months (May-October) in Denver, six months (November through April) in North Scottsdale. It seemed to us that all we were doing was packing up and changing locations. We decided a couple of years ago to sell the Denver house and move full time to North Scottsdale.

This is our second summer in the desert and while it does get god awful hot you do acclimate to it. I'm pretty good up to 105. Anything over that and it is a bit uncomfortable. You adjust your schedule accordingly. The other thing we notice is that it is not just the heat but the fact that it is hot every stinking day!

Last year we had to stay in town as we were having a house totally gutted and remodeled. This year we have taken several four and five day breaks in June and will do so also in July. This helps alleviate the grind of 100+ degrees every day. The west coast is an easy six hour drive, Durango Co about the same and Flagstaff a couple hours up I-17.

August is the month that we really need to get out of here. Not only is it hot but it also tends to be a bit more humid with the monsoon season. This year we have rented a condo in Park City Utah for the month. Other August locales for future years include Oregon coast, Newport Ca, Cape Cod, Carmel/Monterey, Michigan Upper Peninsula, San Juan Islands in Wa, etc, etc. For 15 years we had a vacation home in the Colorado mountains. While we loved the place it seemed like we had to go there for every vacation to justify ownership. Sold that place back in 2007 when someone knocked on the door and offered us more than I thought it was worth. Took the proceeds and bought the first home in Az when the market tanked a few years later. I don't think I'll ever do the second home thing again. It is just too easy to rent on HomeAway/VBRO and there are just too many other places we would like to stay for a month or so.

September we will play by ear based on what the weatherman says but we will most likely take a few of the four or five day drive trips. After September the heat is not really an issue.

The money we save by not having the home in Colorado more than pays for our jaunts during the summer. I'm sure this isn't for everyone but I have found that the older I get the more I like the heat and the less I like the cold!
Old 07-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #31

@RockyMtn. I hear you. We have friends in North Scottsdale that do the same thing. They really need to get out of the heat. I agree August is the worst. You should try Northern Idaho. Those big lakes give an added dimension of boating. We find it is fun to move around but don't like living out of a suitcase.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
@RockyMtn. I hear you. We have friends in North Scottsdale that do the same thing. They really need to get out of the heat. I agree August is the worst. You should try Northern Idaho. Those big lakes give an added dimension of boating. We find it is fun to move around but don't like living out of a suitcase.
Concur.
Coeur d'Alene is a fantastic city, and could easily be a base for summertime.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Concur.
Coeur d'Alene is a fantastic city, and could easily be a base for summertime.
Agree. Our friends have a place near Sandpoint on the other big lake, Pend Oreille. Both lakes are huge and offer great boating. Fly into Spokane and 1 1/2 drive from there. If I was an American, that would be my summer place.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Been to Northern Idaho when I was in college. Spent time at Coeur d'Alene and Hayden Lake. Both very nice! Have some friends who summer at Lake Okanagan in BC. They rave about it.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #35

I'll be in CDA for a week this summer. Can't wait.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I'll be in CDA for a week this summer. Can't wait.
Where?
Old 07-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Have some friends who summer at Lake Okanagan in BC. They rave about it.
I live on Okanagan Lake. It's a great place to live.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Where?
CDA=Coeur d'Alene
Old 07-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Certainly agree that Arizona is better in the winter. In fact I would say it's great for about 8 months a year. The summers are brutal though. A week or two ago they hit 118F. Been there once or twice when it was 115F. Not fun. The pool was 93 degrees without the heater. I don't mind if up to 90-95F above that no thanks. Of course it is, as they always say, a dry heat. North Scottsdale is usually a couple degrees cooler than Paradise Valley but I doubt they would notice.

At least Scottsdale/Paradise Valley are less crowded this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-05-2016, 08:13 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

After more than 40 years living in Phoenix, I have been telling newcomers when they ask me if one can get used to the heat "No, it's tougher every year". Maybe global warming is real.

That's why I got a 2nd home at 7,000' in the AZ high country. Nice, cool, and no mosquitoes, insects. And it's only a 2.5-hour drive between the homes.

I am not moving out of state, and will stay NW-Bound in name only.