Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #61
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Will that be true in the real paradise too, up in the sky?

Will I get to find out? Hmmm... There would be nowhere else to go, if one were still not happy. Going down to h***?
Not according to George Bernard Shaw, as expressed through Don Juan.

Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We look forward to our snowbird friends now just like we used to look forward to our cottage friends.
For us, one of the biggest challenges of seasonal migrations is the difficulty building a network of friends. This also came up when I began traveling heavily for work.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
40+ years of gulf coast weather fried my brain - I had to move
It's funny here, I actually find it more tolerable on the coast than central MS during the summer. The gulf breeze helps a lot. But when it lays down, it can be tough. Other than the summer months, I enjoy the climate here. But I wouldn't mind escaping the heat for a few weeks in the future.

Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #63
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
....For us, one of the biggest challenges of seasonal migrations is the difficulty building a network of friends......

Same for us in Az. Had our condo for 14 years, spending a week there on occasion. We've spent 3-4 months there the past 2 winters and know hardly anyone in our complex. Met a few people in the workout room. Met a few people when we spent a few days in the driveway while we had our hardwood floors put in. Certainly not to the friends stage with anyone.

When we come back to Il, we pick back up with our Il friends as if we never left.
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I have friends at my high-country home. Some are full-timers, others are weekenders. People are more relaxed up there.

I do not socialize with the neighbors at the main home, but visit with the neighbors up at the 2nd home more. Perhaps it's because we all feel that we need to look out after the properties for each other. Neighborhood Watch by default.
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have been lucky in that we have a pretty good network of friends at all our places. Canmore through skiing and my not-for-profit board and Arizona through people we met on bike trips to Europe. Americans are really friendly and it hasn't been difficult. Actually DW's best friend lives in Scottsdale and that has opened a whole new friend network. Being socially connected makes a seasonal place a lot more fun.

Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote