Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Certainly agree that Arizona is better in the winter. In fact I would say it's great for about 8 months a year. The summers are brutal though. A week or two ago they hit 118F. Been there once or twice when it was 115F. Not fun. The pool was 93 degrees without the heater. I don't mind if up to 90-95F above that no thanks. Of course it is, as they always say, a dry heat. North Scottsdale is usually a couple degrees cooler than Paradise Valley but I doubt they would notice.
Note that what part of AZ makes a difference. Flagstaff has a normal of 82 or so this time of year and a low of about 50 because it is above 7500 feet in elevation. Williams has about the sames highs and lows. You could reverse snowbird in AZ living in the lowlands in the winter and the highlands in the summer. That does make it simpler because you remain in one state.
meierlde is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Even the UP gets pretty hot in midsummer.
I live in the U.P. We typically don't get many days above the mid-80s in most summers, and a lot of the time we are in the 70s, even in June/July/August. I'm not a fan of real warm weather either, so for me it's nice here during the summer months (and fall can be nice too). Now, winter is a different story......we head to the Gulf Coast during the coldest part of winter, since I retired. I can take some cold, but the winters here are just too long.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:31 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that what part of AZ makes a difference. Flagstaff has a normal of 82 or so this time of year and a low of about 50 because it is above 7500 feet in elevation. Williams has about the sames highs and lows. You could reverse snowbird in AZ living in the lowlands in the winter and the highlands in the summer. That does make it simpler because you remain in one state.
We were in the Grand Canyon first week of April after a freak late snowstorm. A foot of snow and 35 degrees. Phoenix was 85.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:37 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Beautiful in the Kawarthas this morning, but heading up to low 30's this PM. Hard to beat Ontario cottage country in the summer.
I have one son with a cottage near Apsley and the other on West Lake in Prince Edward County. Both are fantastic right now.

Paris is cloudy and cool. Highs of just 70 with sunny periods. Great weather for soccer and cycling though.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:28 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Agree, that would be a reasonable plan, especially if you were still working.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:05 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Willie Nelson moves to his place in Hawaii when it gets too hot in Texas.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

The town of Flagstaff is more like 7,000 ft in elevation. My high-country home is on the Mongollon Rim, closer to the NM border. It is at the same elevation as Flagstaff, but is not as cold in the winter.

When I was still working part-time, I occasionally came up for the weekend, then left early for work on Monday morning. I would be back in town for work at 9 AM.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

beautiful 58F here this am
Old 07-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
After more than 40 years living in Phoenix, I have been telling newcomers when they ask me if one can get used to the heat "No, it's tougher every year". Maybe global warming is real.

That's why I got a 2nd home at 7,000' in the AZ high country. Nice, cool, and no mosquitoes, insects. And it's only a 2.5-hour drive between the homes.

I am not moving out of state, and will stay NW-Bound in name only.
For some reason I thought you lived in the Pacific North West.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He didn't get that far.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #51

Quote:
After more than 40 years living in Phoenix, I have been telling newcomers when they ask me if one can get used to the heat "No, it's tougher every year". Maybe global warming is real.

That's why I got a 2nd home at 7,000' in the AZ high country. Nice, cool, and no mosquitoes, insects. And it's only a 2.5-hour drive between the homes.

I am not moving out of state, and will stay NW-Bound in name only.
Pine Top?
Old 07-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
beautiful 58F here this am
80* here now with highs near 97* today. And humid.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
80* here now with highs near 97* today. And humid.
40+ years of gulf coast weather fried my brain - I had to move
Old 07-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Because of my screen name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
He didn't get that far.
Yes, I did. Quite often, and so many times over the years that I lost count. However, I did not stay.

Thought about relocating up there when I first signed up on this forum, hence the chosen screen name. Even went up to look for some properties in the town of Port Ludlow. Finally decided to stay in AZ. My grown children would get mad at me if I left them here. Lots of AZ hardcores in the extended family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Pine Top?
Yes, somewhere around there. I am actually in an unincorporated area, not in any township.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-06-2016, 08:14 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even went up to look for some properties in the town of Port Ludlow. .
gorgeous area, beautiful golf courses

I still plan on keeping my rental house in PA. Sold one of the parcels in Agnew. Hopefully the other one will sell soon. I'd like to tear down the rental and build a nice summer place - PA is so nice in the summer.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

We travel a lot, and see so many places one can live.

They are all compromises though. Even in places bragged to be paradise, people still go on vacation elsewhere, oui?

So, one cannot look forever, and must learn to be happy with a choice he has made.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They are all compromises though. Even in places bragged to be paradise, people still go on vacation elsewhere, oui?
people here tend to "flee" to McCall or CDA in the summer - it can get hot - nice now tho
Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
We travel a lot, and see so many places one can live.

So, one cannot look forever, and must learn to be happy with a choice he has made.
I think people vacation away from home to take a break from their routine and other people, and not so much the location itself. Even in paradise you still have to put up with other people.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Even in paradise you still have to put up with other people.
Will that be true in the real paradise too, up in the sky?

Will I get to find out? Hmmm... There would be nowhere else to go, if one were still not happy. Going down to h***?

Old 07-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

We look forward to our snowbird friends now just like we used to look forward to our cottage friends.