Snowbirding to the islands

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
In 2003 Cindy and I did an all-inclusive to the Dominican Republic. I was intrigued by the possibility of setting up a winter place down there. I remember someone here was living in the islands, possibly even the DR, and was wondering if they were still around.

Talking to the tour guide on our bus tour and on the Jeep tour I got the impression that a retiree with $3000 a month guaranteed income could live VERY well down there.

Is anybody familiar with the medical facilities and care?

Has anybody established an estancia in the islands and then come "home" to the states for the warmer months?

In addition to the DR, I would look at the USVI (especially St. Croix - cheaper), Puerto Rico (get out of San Juan and the prices fall, Vieques & Culebra are cheap, too), and Belize.

I've got a friend with a place in Placencia Belize. He goes down there 4-5 times a year and then kept his place in the mtns of SC. I think ownership rights are a bit sketchy, IIRC. I'd rather rent something in case I find somewhere else I'd like to or the place gets over-run with tourists or something. And he sure does worry about hurricanes now!

And he sure does worry about hurricanes now!

Wouldn't have to worry about hurricanes since I wouldn't even be there in the season. Renting might be an option, as long as you are not in an expat area. I'd bet the prices are significantly higher in expat areas.

Well, if you own a house, you will worry about hurricanes even when you aren't there! :)

I would almost always rent, but mostly because I wouldn't want to tie up capital in places where there are iffy title laws and little insurance coverage. My friend did it against my better judgement, but he does have a trusted partner that is a constable, landowner, and high-ranking guy in the town. Still, I worry, but that is my job!

Dominican Republic is not one of the more stable or safe locations to invest you precious retirement income in a property. I'm not referring to hurricanes here. Medical care is poor. You are actually much better off in Mexico for medical care.

The advice is always to rent for at least a year before making any more committment. This applies to the USA as well as a foreign country.

Have a couple of friends that spend each winter in Cabarete working and kiting. Big influx of Europeans over the last 10 years so my understanding is that medical facilities in major cities like Puerto Plata are getting better, otherwise it gets very hit or miss. It is cheap. Plenty of poverty, drugs and cirme but that can be said of Mexico, Belize and a bunch of other similar locations. I would definitely rent first and shoot for an enclave that has more European residents (like Sosua or Cabarete). The link below is an overview to the island along with some RE listings. Good luck.

Dominican Republic Real Estate // Dominican Republic Villas and Apartments

Ditto on the leasing. IF you are considering buying, most people would say do that for a season or two before buying.

There was a Canuck on the board that lives in DR. He made some posts awhile back. You can do a search for his post. PM him... he might answer some questions for you.

I have never been to DR, but I know a number of Dominicans here. These are very easy to like people.

Sometimes it isn't appreciated how different are the people who get lumped under the term "Hispanic". Dominicans are mostly mulattos, Mexicans are mostly mestizos. Of course each country also has long-resident European ethnic populations, and ethnic African populations as in the US. But just as US ethnic groups differ markedly in their mores and social trends, so do different groups in Latin countries. In particular, the Caribbean and the Caribbean Coast of Central America and northern South American differ from the rest of Central America and Mexico and northern South America, and in turn all of these are very different from the southern cone.

Some will prefer one type of society, some other types.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom