So Depressed about Colorado

W The lodge pole pines which dominate the landscape along I-70 from Denver into Summit County are red/orange and literally dying from a beetle infestation. It's the result of drought and warmer than normal winters. There is no solution and it is really tragic. Everywhere you look vast quantities of beautiful pines are dying. This is not in a small area, it's absolutely everywhere. We were truly depressed.

When visiting my nephew in Vail, he pointed out the problem to me. And this was over 5 years ago. Not sure when the problem started. Nature has a way of handling things and forest do come back, but we may be dead before you see it.:-\

If you're looking at living in Summit county and some dying trees are making you reconsider, perhaps you were missing the point entirely?

Just got back from a quick weekend there and I get sad whenever I have to leave.

PS: I wouldn't put it past the natives to spray paint a couple thousand acres of trees in hopes of keeping the Texans and Californians out.

And what about the beetles? They're sort of cute, with their little yellow spots. Isn't anybody on their side? They've got to live too, ya know. Borers, beetles, caterpillars, they're all part of God's plan too.

Now the ticks and skeeters, I could do without. ;)

If you're looking at living in Summit county and some dying trees are making you reconsider, perhaps you were missing the point entirely?

Just got back from a quick weekend there and I get sad whenever I have to leave.

PS: I wouldn't put it past the natives to spray paint a couple thousand acres of trees in hopes of keeping the Texans and Californians out.

Yeah, I guess I was just making it up. :rolleyes:

Beetle-kill rate in Colorado "catastrophic" - The Denver Post

Not too many lodge pole pines along the Front Range....

Wait - did I say that? No - really all our trees are disappearing. Texas is a better place for retiring. :)

This reminds me of a letter to the editor here a few years back. A newcomer (from "back-east") was complaining that people had cut down too many trees - as all along the front range was not like the forested land "back-east". Scoff - all the front range trees (except for the cottonwoods) were planted by humans.

(I'm from "back-east" myself - but really there is a reason that this is now called the Great Plains (and once was called the Great American Desert).)

A newcomer (from "back-east") was complaining that people had cut down too many trees - as all along the front range was not like the forested land "back-east".

Much like the recurring tourist question regarding the location of the Alamo: "Why did they build it downtown?"

Texas is a better place for retiring. :)

This certainly diminishes your credibility in these parts...

Much like the recurring tourist question regarding the location of the Alamo: "Why did they build it downtown?"

Then there was the couple from Texas who were just amazed during a visit to Rome that "all these little-bitty kids can speak Italian."

Hey, somebody has to keep it from dying.

Ha

Not too many lodge pole pines along the Front Range....

Wait - did I say that? No - really all our trees are disappearing. Texas is a better place for retiring. :)

This reminds me of a letter to the editor here a few years back. A newcomer (from "back-east") was complaining that people had cut down too many trees - as all along the front range was not like the forested land "back-east". Scoff - all the front range trees (except for the cottonwoods) were planted by humans.

(I'm from "back-east" myself - but really there is a reason that this is now called the Great Plains (and once was called the Great American Desert).)

Kinda reminds me of the folks who retire to Arizona, and then paint their gravel yards bright green...

Back
Top Bottom