Join Early Retirement Today

So Depressed about Colorado
Old 08-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

So Depressed about Colorado

We absolutely love Colorado. Everything about it...well except the long winters, but if we are retired we can travel in the winter to warmer places or just stay indoors and relax. (Kind of like living in Texas in the summer except in reverse). We especially love the trees and views.

We are getting ready to retire in a couple of years and Colorado has been at the top of our list. Second choice is Texas Hill Country near Austin. Anyway, we were visiting Colorado to try and narrow down the areas we were interested in last week and were absolutely shocked to find tens of thousands of acres of beautiful scenery dying. The lodge pole pines which dominate the landscape along I-70 from Denver into Summit County are red/orange and literally dying from a beetle infestation. It's the result of drought and warmer than normal winters. There is no solution and it is really tragic. Everywhere you look vast quantities of beautiful pines are dying. This is not in a small area, it's absolutely everywhere. We were truly depressed.

This really makes us reconsider our plans. Dead trees will need to be removed which will drastically change the landscape that we love. It will be expensive for homeowners and frankly the result will be rather unsightly for a long time (20+years). I'm sure homes and towns will lose much value. The infestation is moving toward Denver and will destroy the trees on the front range up through Rocky Mountain National Park, Fort Collins and Wyoming.

Very sadly...back to the drawing board....
BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Just so you're not blindsided by it, tree life in the Texas Hill Country is also under attack. The primary tree in the area is the Live Oak which is suffering from a fatal viral disease - Oak Wilt.

Oak Wilt Disease
Texas Oak Wilt Information Partnership

EDIT - The disease is fungal, not viral...
Old 08-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Just so you're not blindsided by it, tree life in the Texas Hill Country is also under attack. The primary tree in the area is the Live Oak which is suffering from a fatal viral disease - Oak Wilt.
Sheesh, just when the Gates Foundation was starting to make some headway on the Ebola and other Texas wildlife...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraAnne View Post
The infestation is moving toward Denver and will destroy the trees on the front range up through Rocky Mountain National Park, Fort Collins and Wyoming.
Yes, very sad. My understanding is that the destruction is already happening there. Estes Park was already getting hit when I was there several years ago. Interestingly, these infestations have happened before, and the trees have recovered. However, this time around seems to be different. If were looking for a place to retire, I'd definitely factor the infestation into my considerations.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

FYI, the Pine Borer Bettle has a two year life-cycle. The moth form of the beetle lays eggs just under the bark. When the eggs hatch into larva they bore under the bark where they criss-cross under the bark layer over a year eating the tender layers under the bark. They then pupate and hatch into moths to mate and lay eggs in neighboring trees.

The only effective means of killing them is a combination of root/bark chemical transport and leaf/bark treatment through spraying. Both methods are expensive. We had several spruce trees infected at my previous cabin and tried to say the few trees that were not yet heavily infected. We saved several but last just as many. Most were very large and dominated the view. It was a crying shame to see them cut down and hauled off for burning to help prevent the spread.

The Northwest is also showing signs of the beetle. Some trees in the National Forests are starting to show signs of the infection (browning of the needles at the higher and outer parts of the tree). As you said...it is a terrible thing. The economic loss to the timber industry will be staggering. The losses to other species will be huge as fires and mud slides change the landscape. I can't imagine the ultimate cost.

Don't carry firewood from area to area. This can spread the beetle to virgin areas. Buy local firewood.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks REWahoo for the heads up on the live oaks.

Yikes, we have a large beautiful 40 ft. live oak in front of our house. It's our only large tree here on the Dallas prairie. I'll have to keep a careful eye on it till we sell our home. It's a major selling feature.
BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have two Chinese Pistache trees in my front yard.

Chinese Pistache

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I have two Chinese Pistache trees in my front yard.
I have a two big rocks in my front yard....
Old 08-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraAnne View Post
We absolutely love Colorado. Everything about it...well except the long winters, but if we are retired we can travel in the winter to warmer places or just stay indoors and relax. (Kind of like living in Texas in the summer except in reverse). We especially love the trees and views.

We are getting ready to retire in a couple of years and Colorado has been at the top of our list. Second choice is Texas Hill Country near Austin. Anyway, we were visiting Colorado to try and narrow down the areas we were interested in last week and were absolutely shocked to find tens of thousands of acres of beautiful scenery dying. The lodge pole pines which dominate the landscape along I-70 from Denver into Summit County are red/orange and literally dying from a beetle infestation. It's the result of drought and warmer than normal winters. There is no solution and it is really tragic. Everywhere you look vast quantities of beautiful pines are dying. This is not in a small area, it's absolutely everywhere. We were truly depressed.

This really makes us reconsider our plans. Dead trees will need to be removed which will drastically change the landscape that we love. It will be expensive for homeowners and frankly the result will be rather unsightly for a long time (20+years). I'm sure homes and towns will lose much value. The infestation is moving toward Denver and will destroy the trees on the front range up through Rocky Mountain National Park, Fort Collins and Wyoming.

Very sadly...back to the drawing board....

Do not come to Colorado -- stay in Texas. There is the pine bark beetle infestation, dizziness at high altitude, too many craft breweries & the state is moving from red to blue.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake46 View Post
Do not come to Colorado -- stay in Texas. There is the pine bark beetle infestation, dizziness at high altitude, too many craft breweries & the state is moving from red to blue.
Nice try...
Old 08-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Nice try...
I do what I can.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have big trees AND big rocks in my front yard.

The benefits of living in California...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #13

Oh yeah. But where will your trees and rocks be after the big one hits?
Old 08-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I have big trees AND big rocks in my front yard.

The benefits of living in California...

I have big trees , big rocks and a dock in my yard benefits of living in Florida !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have big trees , big rocks and a dock in my yard benefits of living in Florida !
OK, you win Moemg. Everybody retire to Florida!!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh yeah. But where will your trees and rocks be after the big one hits?
Pretty much in the same place since the nearest major fault line is about 70-80 miles away.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have some rocks in my head. Or so I've been told...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
OK, you win Moemg. Everybody retire to Florida!!!!

Everybody better wait until after hurricane season before they start packing !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
I have THREE big rocks in my front yard.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I grew up in a midwestern town known for it's beautiful mature trees. Dutch Elm disease wiped out nearly all the trees in my neighborhood. As a kid it was fun to watch it unfold... every few weeks the city arborists would come in and take down a new tree, providing hours of entertainment. These were big mature trees with trunks at least several feet in diameter. They would dig out the roots down to a foot or so below the ground, which created a little hole in the grass for us kids to play in like sandboxes. The replacement trees tended to be just the right size for tree climbing. Now when I go back to visit I see that all the trees are mature and beautiful.

It is sad, but life goes on.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote