Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This discussion, especially the part of how old we look, reminds me of a situation that I'll not repeat. A woman who worked at DW's retail business was talking with a group of us during a break. I was there as "free" help for the day. Somehow age came into the discussion and I recall the lady asking how old I thought she was. Well, I thought she looked 36, but I knew better than to answer "36". What if I were wrong by a couple of years? I thought about "padding" my answer and say "34" just to be safe. I chickened out and said "31". "How did you guess." she asked, incredulously. "Just lucky." I answered with a stifled cough.

Moral. Never guess a lady's age. NEVER!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Moral. Never guess a lady's age. NEVER!
So true! I have had so many clients ask me how old I think they are. Usually it's the ones in their 90's. LOL! Thankfully, I already know their age (in the chart!) and can guess a few years younger. There are some that truly look AMAZING and have incredible mobility, though. You'd think they were in their 70's!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickko View Post
So, do you feel your age? Act your age? Like your age?......
Do I feel my age? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't...depends somewhat on the amount of blood diluting the caffeine in my system!

Do I act my age? Ummm....NO WAY!!! What fun is there in that?! Like a button that I have says..."I may Be Getting Older, But I REFUSE To Grow Up!"

Do I like my age? Heck, yeah! If I was any younger, I'd have to get a job and go to work...YUCKO!!! And if I was any older I would have missed out on some years of living and enjoying life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
.....I like Freebird's comment above about redeveloping her inner child. It's good to remember what used to be fun before we were grownups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
TY
Here's some starter ideas...

Color with crayons
Fly kites
Put tacky pink flamingoes in your front yard to get a reaction
Walk along the beach and look for "good" shells and smooth glass pieces
Build sandcastles or snow scultures
Do gardening just so you can play in the dirt
Stand outside in a warm rain
Spray your SO with the garden hose on a hot day
Go find a waterfall or go visit a cave
Watch the sun come up
Pick wildflowers
yadda yadda yadda...
Freebird, have you been following me? I resemble those remarks! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk! Well, with two very slight adjustments....first, the pink flamingos are NOT tacky, AND they go anywhere and everywhere in my yard!! And although I don't have a SO, I do spray myself with the garden hose fairly often on hot summer days....and I also play in the sprinkler, although I assure the neighbor that I'm just out there "adjusting" it!

And in addition to those things, I still play with trains too!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #44

As a newborn baby I had a near fatal blood disorder that required multiple complete blood replacements (complete flush outs ). I was in intensive care for several weeks.

Since then it has been uphill all the way

I play hard and laugh all the way. I believe in laugh therapy, like my old man, and like him, if the last thing I do before popping my clogs at age 84 is to make the nurse laugh by inviting her into bed beside me to "take the weight off her feet", then I'll be happy.

If I think I feel my age physically, I just have to recall all the back, knee and foot problems (including 2 surgeries) before I was 35 and then I don't feel so bad.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
and then I don't feel so bad.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am proactively using 50 SPF sunscreen with Aloe and a wide brim hat for sunny days and constantly wear wide lens sunglasses in spring/summer.
At your latitude?!?

I'm going to cherish my surfer's wrinkles and squinty crow's feet right up until they carve those pre-cancerous features out of my face...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
At your latitude?!?

I'm going to cherish my surfer's wrinkles and squinty crow's feet right up until they carve those pre-cancerous features out of my face...
Yes, we are occasionally welcomed back into membership in the solar system.
It has been duly annotated in the records that we had 4 straight days of sunshine this past week. Chorophyll has been manufactured by the tips of the tulip leaves that are poking up about 2 inches now.
I started w*rking on my tan already.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #48

Yesterday I did my dance workout in the morning, then spent the afternoon assembling our tax info for the tax man. It was a beautiful day out, but I had promised myself I was going to get it done! I figured I'd go hiking today. Uhhh...woke up to rain, rain, rain. Gonna be that way all day. So much for my planned hike. Guess I should check the weather before I make my plans...duh!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Mid 50's and feel great. To stay that way, I stay away from mirrors. With every passing year life becomes easier to figure out. I would hate to be young again if it meant losing what I've learned. I should be perfect just in time for death. 8-)
Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #50

I think I'm getting younger. Since retirement 3.5 years ago I have lost 20 lbs, gotten in the best shape of my life, taken up and gotten quite good at downhill skiing and mountain biking, travel extensively, and bought a sports car. Life is good.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

16th yr of ER - age 66, grey hair, receding hairline, pot belly, high cholorestol and high BP. Also should lose 20 lbs according to the Doc.

- Saints finally won the Superbowl. Also being male I let the grey stubble cover my wrinkles.

I still have thoughts of 'eat what you want and die like a man.' But making making small concessions to walking and diet modification.

heh heh heh - We'll see how long this 'healthy lifestyle crap lasts' - after all I now reside in the land of BBQ and bib overalls with plenty of room for my pot belly. .
Old 03-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #52

BBB: Are those boots new? I like them, legs included!!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Wonderful Youtube rendition!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
BBB: Are those boots new? I like them, legs included!!
Yes they're new. I got tired of standing up...I had to sit down.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yes they're new. I got tired of standing up...I had to sit down.

I like the new boots.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I like the new boots.
I gotta keep y'all 'em on your their toes....
Old 03-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
Actually there's a lot of research on running and hip/knee problems. The general conclusion is that running delays the onset of arthritic problems and is not the cause of them. Maybe your ex FIL would have had to get new hips 5 years earlier if he had not been running. In my case, I have three non-running siblings who have had knee replacements. My other brother and I are runners, and we still have good, healthy knees. In fact, I had recent x-rays that show that my articular cartilage is fully intact. The orthopedic surgeon said that I would be able to run for the rest of my life. But, realistically, that could change, in which case I'll stop running--or at least cut down! (BTW, I rarely run two days in a row, to give my body time to recover. This week I will run Tue 5 miles, Thu 5 miles, Sat 14 miles. I swim and/or bike the other days.)

(Methinks I protesteth too much.)
I've run for years but generally have been a 3 - 5 mile runner 3 - 5 times per week. (I've been doing less running in the past few months due to VT winters.) The longest race I've ever run is 10 miles and I only did that 3 times. Never had any desire to do a marathon. (Actually, never wanted to give up the time to train for it properly.) When I was younger, did a fair number of 5 and 10K races. Now I maybe run one or two 5K's per year and that only for fun.

My anecdotal experience - not at all scientific - is that my buddies who ran longer and harder and ran several marathons have begun to have knee and hip problems that have ended their running careers. (I'm talking about guys that are my age - 64 - plus or minus a coupla years and most of them were military - you know how we military types can carry some things to extremes.) I know I might turn up needing a hip/knee replacement next month, but so far I have to think that moderation in exercise has been a good thing.

Again, just anecdotal.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #58

Well, I am soon to be 67. I have jogged 11,000+ miles by my count. I stopped because of knees and feet pain. Now, I walk 4.2+ miles at least 5 days each week, bike a couple of days, and I lift lite weights twice a week. For years I had a baby face, requiring that I produce an ID at the bar long after I was 21. Now, store clerks give me the senior discount without even asking. I guess my face has changed!

Like my age? I'm going to a 50th high school reunion this summer. Some of the class are dead. You bet I like my age.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
Like my age? I'm going to a 50th high school reunion this summer. Some of the class are dead. You bet I like my age.
Agreed - any day this side of the grass is a good day
Old 03-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

The question of feeling one's age or acting one's age is pretty broad. I think an older person should realize that it's time to start being a grown up if you haven't achieved that already. At 65 say, a man or woman can live a long time, but daily experience shows shows that we do start to drop away at this age. I think I woke up to what people call mortality in my 50s, when my parents died. So it is getting late to put off important internal developments (like maturity).

Another reality check was getting head-on crashed. I never went back to some of my activities prior to that-most prominantly singles tennis. I am still very active (yesterday I walked 10 miles mostly up and down hills) but some things just hurt too much.

I also have lost all taste for physical risks. There is enough risk around without going looking for it. I know there are people who jump out of airplanes in their 90s, but not going to be me. And I don't envy them either. To me life is way too much fun to take unnecessary risks with it's comfortable continuation.

So I would say that I intend to realize my age and keep it in my mind, but not avoid activities that I enjoy because some older people don't do them. Or for that matter do things mainly because they seem "young". An old guy bungie-jumping is not a young guy; he's just an old guy bungie-jumping. Similarly an old guy with a young woman is not a young guy (just ask her!), he is just an old guy with a young woman.

A Danish friend when he first came to the US was amazed at how little social importance seemed to be placed on age. I think he just missed the cues; but nevertheless he felt that Americans were deluded about mortality and realiies of aging.

Ha