Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Some days I feel my age, but I believe my outlook to be much younger than my chronological age. Since I retired at age 59, I feel like I'm in the best part of my life; our biggest worry is what to have for dinner!! I'm 63 and DH is 66 and someone told me just a few days ago that they would've guessed my age at low to mid 50s! That certainly made my day!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes I do like my age. Gives plenty of room for attitude of whatever kind is needed at the moment. Never had much tolerance for BS, Now I have none.

Physically in good shape, still take JuJitsu rolls, 20 to 30 times during average practice. By the way, picking my 180 lb off the floor that many times is also good exercise in and of itself. All joints function smooth and well, have occasional muscle pain when I overdo workouts. It is an old habit, from my service days. Push until no more energy left. (motto was, better be unconscious from exhaustion than say I'm tired) Love them endorphine rushes. Did give up running when I was done being a soldier, only used to run because it was required.

Most of my real serious muscle pains in the past were years ago from doctors insisting on me taking a variety statins. One time so bad from Lipitor, could barely walk 20 feet. Finally decided to put a stop to all that stuff.

Don't know if I look my 62 years. Don't really care, though I'm sure I look old enough for senior discounts. When I ask for it, don't get carded to verify. A few times it was offered unsolicited.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let's see....in 2009 I had a pulmonary embolism, three skin cancers removed, rotator cuff surgery, and the H1N1 virus. That was at age 50. But I also backpacked across the Sierras, climbed a volcano in Sumatra, attended my kids' three graduations, did a lot of fishing, played lots of basketball and tennis, and read a couple dozen books. I have to admit that the first list is getting longer and scarier as I age, but the second list still win out in the end. So yes, I'm happy with my age, although at times I long for a younger body (and for mine to be younger too)!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Is99: Once I was on Crestor and had such horrible muscle pain I could hardly move. Stopped that, too.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A young lady at the local Round Table Pizza had the nerve to challenge me about the senior discount on the small pizza I ordered. Was 61 and it turned out the senior age there is 65. So I guess I don't look 65. There is some consolation in that thought .

Also should mention I run a lot further nowadays then blue bunnies.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I'm 55 but feel like I'm 35, most of the time. Tweaked my knee a few weeks ago but it has pretty much recovered now. Walked 4 miles today with the mutt and didn't have any pain whatsoever in the knee. Gonna try and get in 5 miles everyday from now on. Walking sure has helped in getting a few lbs off.

I guess I act my age. Not sure what an old fart should act like. Do I like my age? As long as I'm above ground and still able to do what I want, yes.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
... I believe my outlook to be much younger than my chronological age.

...I'm 63 and DH is 66 and someone told me just a few days ago that they would've guessed my age at low to mid 50s! That certainly made my day!
We are both younger looking than our age. However, being of a gloomy nature, I always feel older than my age. Recently, I have been in an upbeat mood, post here often, and like to joke around. But I am not always this way.

Physically, I may look young but my body is tired. I look fit, but I do not have the stamina like many posters here in the same 50 age group, judging from the more strenuous activities that they do. I do not expect to live far beyond 70, so I need to enjoy what life offers now.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We are both younger looking than our age. However, being of a gloomy nature, I always feel older than my age. Recently, I have been in an upbeat mood, post here often, and like to joke around. But I am not always this way.

Physically, I may look young but my body is tired. I look fit, but I do not have the stamina like many posters here in the same 50 age group, judging from the more strenuous activities that they go. I do not expect to live far beyond 70, so I need to enjoy what life offers now.
Well none of us should expect it, but I try to be a little more optimistic than that. And I'm not into many strenuous activities either. Golf and walking the mutt hardly qualifies. But I do agree that we need to enjoy what life offers now as there are no guarantees.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Physically, I may look young but my body is tired. I look fit, but I do not have the stamina like many posters here in the same 50 age group, judging from the more strenuous activities that they do. I do not expect to live far beyond 70, so I need to enjoy what life offers now.
My wife is generally happy but sometimes looses her energy and thus her mood. She had to go on a medication for a thyroid condition which is very common but not always checked out by doctors. You might want to explore the situation with your doc. Just a thought.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I also have lost all taste for physical risks. There is enough risk around without going looking for it. I know there are people who jump out of airplanes in their 90s, but not going to be me. And I don't envy them either. To me life is way too much fun to take unnecessary risks with it's comfortable continuation.
Odd, that's exactly what I was thinking when I bought the motorcycle last year. "Why am I doing this?"

I take all the precautions. I wear a full-face helmet. I wear a suit of ballistic-padded Kevlar armor. I studied (not just read, but studied) five books on riding. I took a class. I know that a deer can kill me. If I misjudge a turn and wrap myself around a tree all that gear won't help. But I ride anyway.

As I read on a motorcycle forum "People who ride motorcycles understand why a dog hangs his head out the car window".

It's for the experience of a perfectly carved corner. It's being one with the machine, the road, and the air. It's just plain fun. I recently turned 60. I figure at best I've got another ten years before I have to hang up the helmet.

Why am I doing this? Because if I don't do it now I never will.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Today I went ahead and donated a bicycle I wasn't using to Goodwill which is about three miles away. When I dropped it off, the guy at Goodwill said, "Are you sure? (the bicycle is in good shape) How far from here to you live?"

Walking back gave me some blisters on my feet. One time, these three miles were a refreshing jog in the middle of winter, but not anymore. So I guess I feel my age.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickko View Post
So, do you feel your age? Act your age? Like your age?
Yes, yes and yes. 51 now. No unhooked handle passes, no powered kite loops, and island jumping limited to 30 ft spans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uvs090718-001.jpg (26.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

I usually feel quite good, but there are some evenings...

Did a 53 mile bike ride yesterday which was nice except that I was thinking "I have to exercise like this almost every day for the rest of my life!?" That's always a dreary thought.

But because of the ride, I feel great today.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I usually feel quite good, but there are some evenings...

Did a 53 mile bike ride yesterday which was nice except that I was thinking "I have to exercise like this almost every day for the rest of my life!?" That's always a dreary thought.

But because of the ride, I feel great today.
Al, do you also do weights or some similar, or is the bike enough for you?

Ha
Old 04-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I coulda done a 50 mile bike ride had I one of these :

http://www.ultramotor.com/

http://www.premiumelectricbikes.com/...tric-Bike.html

I actually have a folder but non-electric that I use around town for short errands.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #76

This week, I played singles tennis on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday as well as weights on Tuesday, Ballet workout Wednesday, Yoga/Pilates workout on Thursday and athletic water running on Friday. Plus a 13 mile bike ride on Wednesday.

Sure, I needed hot baths, tylenol or ibuprofein but I feel great. In my younger days I used to play soccer and do karate, but I also had had plenty of aches and pains then, also a few injuries that needed Emergency Room visits.

So, I feel my age in that I can't do what I used to be able to do, but I'll continue to modify my exercise regime where I can as the body wears out .

Today in the pool, which was a very aerobic workout, was a lady who is also in our ballet workout class. I was amazed to hear that her 70th birthday is next week as she is in great shape.

I'm probably also still in the "giddy" phase of the first few weeks of retirement
Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This week, I played singles tennis on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday as well as weights on Tuesday, Ballet workout Wednesday, Yoga/Pilates workout on Thursday and athletic water running on Friday. Plus a 13 mile bike ride on Wednesday.

...I'm probably also still in the "giddy" phase of the first few weeks of retirement
Yep. Either that or you're nuts...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. Either that or you're nuts...
Have you been talking to DW? - 'cos that's exactly what she says
Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Have you been talking to DW?
Johnny Carson paid Ed McMahon millions for set up lines like this...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #80

I'd like my current age better if it were also my retirement age.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote