Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Al, do you also do weights or some similar, or is the bike enough for you?

Ha
Yes, weights on Wednesday and Saturday. It only takes 30 minutes or so (see attached), and it's the thing that I credit most for making me feel younger. No back strains since 2008 when I started the weights.
Attached Files
File Type: xls WeightLiftingRecordSheet.xls (9.0 KB, 16 views)
__________________

__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, weights on Wednesday and Saturday. It only takes 30 minutes or so (see attached), and it's the thing that I credit most for making me feel younger. No back strains since 2008 when I started the weights.
Thanks Al. I know you live out in the country, so can you do this program with home weights or do you need to go to a gym somewhere?

If you do it at home, what would I need to copy this program?

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 57
I've never acted my age. I'll be 62 in July and retiring at that time. I've always been an avid hiker and backpacker, have done the Ironman triathlon 3 times (latest in 2007), ran several marathons, and now am training for a run across the Grand Canyon from south rim to north rim and return, a distance of 48 miles. I've basically told my wife that if I ever start acting my age that she should call the insane asylum and ask that I be admitted as a full time resident.

My motto has always been, "If you rest, you rust."
__________________
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
I've never acted my age. I'll be 62 in July and retiring at that time. I've always been an avid hiker and backpacker, have done the Ironman triathlon 3 times (latest in 2007), ran several marathons, and now am training for a run across the Grand Canyon from south rim to north rim and return, a distance of 48 miles. I've basically told my wife that if I ever start acting my age that she should call the insane asylum and ask that I be admitted as a full time resident.
With a username of Max Power, the statement above does not suprise me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
My motto has always been, "If you rest, you rust."
Just call me 'Rusty'.....
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks Al. I know you live out in the country, so can you do this program with home weights or do you need to go to a gym somewhere?

If you do it at home, what would I need to copy this program?

Ha
I do it all with dumbbells plus a chin-up bar. This is my gym:

Weights.jpg

Most of that stuff came from garage sales (big surprise). I learned the different lifts from this book (recommended):

Amazon.com: Strength Training Past 50 - 2nd Edition (Ageless Athlete Series) (9780736067713): Wayne Westcott, Thomas R. Baechle: Books

The only problem with the system is I worry about dropping a dumbbell or having some other accident. For that reason, I may someday get a machine instead. However, many say that the extra muscle work necessary to control the dumbbells is important.
__________________

__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When you get to be my age... Westernskies Other topics 29 12-12-2009 06:37 PM
SS as a %age of your income nun FIRE and Money 55 11-30-2009 08:05 AM
When you buy a car, what age or age range do you usually buy? cloudeleven Other topics 21 05-27-2008 09:20 AM
What is your age and AA? Tiger FIRE and Money 56 05-13-2007 12:34 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.