Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting thread, Vickko. DH and I surely look our age and don't care that we do, but we act like youthful fools most of the time (I'm watching and laughing at Family Guy right now as proof). DH went back to school fulltime last year for a masters after REing in 2008--at 61 he is probably the oldest person the program has ever had but he is an integral part of the class, which ranges from 24 years old up to him. I have taken noncredit classes at our community college forever and am thrilled when there is someone in them who is my age.

I like Freebird's comment above about redeveloping her inner child. It's good to remember what used to be fun before we were grownups.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use the title of this JB song quite often. I'm not all that active, physically, but I still feel like I'm about 18 or so between the ears. I refuse to take life too seriously (or especially take myself too seriously). Life does get more precious as the time goes by. So, what were the questions again? I forget.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Old 03-19-2010, 04:47 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vicko---your kids will keep you young! That's what my Dad always said and he was 44 when my sister was born and 50 when I came in to the world. And he was right. He was a lively person, fun loving, interested in everyone and everything around him. He always seemed younger to me than the fathers of many of my peers.

How I feel depends on the day. I am 55 and in pretty good shape physically except for the occasional ache or pain. I don't know that I could put an age number on how I feel mentally. I don't consciously try to act or look younger than I am, just try to keep healthy, but I do care about looking well-groomed. I guess I like my chronological age, better to be on this side of the daisies than on the other. I have more time these days to concentrate on just myself than many of my peers, which can be either a good thing or a bad thing. I try to spend this time fine tuning things for my eventual retirement in a couple of years, being a good friend, and partaking in activities that interest me. The vicissitudes of life have knocked some of the hubris out of me. Acceptance of things I have no control over can be a hard row to hoe, but it brings a type of content in its own right.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickko View Post
So - often feel "out of sync with age". Sometimes nice. Sometimes not.

You?

....V
Like others sometimes and sometimes not. In high school people sometimes asked "why are you always so serious?"

But I didn't finish my BS degree until my mid 40's, DW just finished hers last May. Last year I bought a motorcycle after a 31-year layoff from riding, next week we're taking a noncredit class at a community college and they have others I'm interested in, like the one in motorcycle maintenance/repair. I doubt DW will go to that one though.

Keeping up with exercises is harder than ever. I don't suppose it will get easier.

My favorite t-shirt quote: "Inside every 80-year-old is an 18-year-old wondering what the hell happened."
Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
...I like Freebird's comment above about redeveloping her inner child. It's good to remember what used to be fun before we were grownups.
TY
Here's some starter ideas...

Color with crayons
Fly kites
Put tacky pink flamingoes in your front yard to get a reaction
Walk along the beach and look for "good" shells and smooth glass pieces
Build sandcastles or snow scultures
Do gardening just so you can play in the dirt
Stand outside in a warm rain
Spray your SO with the garden hose on a hot day
Go find a waterfall or go visit a cave
Watch the sun come up
Pick wildflowers
yadda yadda yadda...
Old 03-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am amazed at those who can run 5-10 miles/day into their 60s. My ex FIL ran marathons after 65, but by 70 he had two new hips. So maybe not really cool after all.
Actually there's a lot of research on running and hip/knee problems. The general conclusion is that running delays the onset of arthritic problems and is not the cause of them. Maybe your ex FIL would have had to get new hips 5 years earlier if he had not been running. In my case, I have three non-running siblings who have had knee replacements. My other brother and I are runners, and we still have good, healthy knees. In fact, I had recent x-rays that show that my articular cartilage is fully intact. The orthopedic surgeon said that I would be able to run for the rest of my life. But, realistically, that could change, in which case I'll stop running--or at least cut down! (BTW, I rarely run two days in a row, to give my body time to recover. This week I will run Tue 5 miles, Thu 5 miles, Sat 14 miles. I swim and/or bike the other days.)

(Methinks I protesteth too much.)
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #28

Dell tech rep. was shocked when I told him I was 65. Said I sounded about 30-32. Wish I looked 30-32...

Regardless, had kid late and I matured slowly compared to some of my girlfriends as I was often the girl's class clown in school = having fun was a goal. I was in no hurry.
Later I took on waaaaay more responsibility then they did, so I made up for it in spades. SPADES!
But I have no desire to look my age...or act my age even today. That should say it all. I took after my biological father in so many ways.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

The doctors that treated me after my recent landscaping boulder project and fall through the ice while ice skating all commented that I should start acting my age. As I get older I seem to have more aches and pains, and injuries take longer to heal, but I can almost do anything that I did in my 20's - no more marathons though.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The doctors that treated me after my recent landscaping boulder project and fall through the ice while ice skating all commented that I should start acting my age. As I get older I seem to have more aches and pains, and injuries take longer to heal, but I can almost do anything that I did in my 20's - no more marathons though.
The great running guru George Sheehan said that the main dangers to runners are the three D's: Dogs, Drivers, and Doctors. When it comes to "acting your age," don't listen to doctors.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So, do you feel your age?
Only until the morning's first cup of coffee.

Quote:
Act your age?
Not even close. I'm also a 25-year old hiding in a 49-year-old's body, and I'm still not sure what the hell happened.

Quote:
Like your age?
Considering the alternative?

The biggest challenge at this age is knowing when to stop being a hypercompetitive overachiever at every activity. I've also learned that surfing and taekwondo on the same day is probably a physical limit that entitles me to skip other workouts or yardwork.

I think parenting has been better for spouse & me than not parenting, but no way would we want to repeat the experience.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:42 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am 35...and definitely feel my age if I don't take care of myself everyday...stretching, praying, and getting regular bodywork done.
I don't act my age at all....still am between the 16-25 range and sometimes I have a few "wise" moments!
I don't look my age...many people think I am in my mid to late 20's which makes me feel awesome....I attribute it to my chubby cheeks!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #33

I'm 42. My cardiovascular fitness level, I believe, has never been better. I can really, really push it in my dance fitness classes and keep right up with the 20-somethin's. It's amazing to me, as I've never been able to workout this hard in my life. Musculoskeletal...well, that's a different story. I've got lots of aches and pains and a chronic nerve injury in my back/leg that keeps it real. LOL. Must pace myself for that reason - if I try to dance 2 days in a row, I will pay for it. Still...I confess...it's a goal of mine to build up to that!

Mentally I think I feel right at my age, perhaps a bit older. I can be pretty conservative and serious at times. I'm not a big risk taker! However I do love to party, so I think that brings the mental age back down.

Do I look 42? Hard to say. Lots of people act surprised when they find out my age, but, that's the polite response, isn't it? LOL! I've got my wrinkles if ya look close enough, and unfortunately, they are getting worse every year. The wrinkles are what I am having the hardest time accepting!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #34

I turned 50 this year and still feel shocked that it's me I'm talking about when I say my age.

I don't feel my age at all - I really don't feel any different than I did in my 30's. I exercise more now and worry about little things less, so that probably helps. And I love the confidence that comes with aging - when I was younger, I might have said that I didn't care what others thought, but somewhere down deep I really did. At this point, I really don't care what most other people think unless it's someone close to me. Life is much better this way!
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #35

I am 31 and look younger than my age. I was at a party last night where most people were 24 - 28. I was sitting with a 23-year-old friend and people thought he was my husband.

Because I don't have children (or a husband around most of the time), I am able to have a worry-free lifestyle. I have tons of hobbies and go to bed around 1:30 or 2 a.m. everyday. I never want to grow up (except to ER)!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I don't like getting older, but it beats the other option. I try to be aware of how I am changing, and adapt as well as possible.

I'm past 50, and seeing lines on my face that weren't there even in my late 40's. What I truly see, is gravity's effect on my eyes and mouth, so I catch glimpses of myself in mirrors/windows and think, "What is she sad/annoyed about?" It has given me insight into why children are often afraid of older people - we look severe and about to scold, even when we aren't! I know my daily interactions with people are affected by their perceptions of my age - just as they were when I was 22, and could stop men's conversation just by walking into a room (which embarrassed me, as I knew it wasn't the real "Amethyst" being admired, but some notion of "youth=sex.") Nowadays, I don't want to give people the impression that I am peed off all the time (in fact, I am mostly a cheerful sort), so I may look into getting a brow and eye lift.

I'm in better shape than most women my age, but nobody would mistake my body for a 30-year-old's. If I become frail, I don't want it to be due to my lack of effort to maintain health and strength.

I am more patient and compassionate than I used to be. I am also better at recognizing when someone is trying to pull a fast one on me. But when I do recognize an attempted scam, I am better at diplomatically, rather than indignantly, calling attention to it. I try to use indignation in a measured, considered way.

In fact, except for considering plastic surgery, I seem to be turning into my mother.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I still see myself at about age 25 or so. The only time that I don't is when I take a gander of myself in the mirror and think "who the hell is that old dude?"

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
...I've got my wrinkles if ya look close enough, and unfortunately, they are getting worse every year. The wrinkles are what I am having the hardest time accepting!
aHA! The "W" word. Glad someone had the courage to get that out there.
I'm developing Ws under my eyes. So far the rest of my face is W-free.
So far...
I am proactively using 50 SPF sunscreen with Aloe and a wide brim hat for sunny days and constantly wear wide lens sunglasses in spring/summer.
I use moisturizing cream on my face and neck in the dry winter and under-eye cream all year round for those pesky Ws. I use a heavier duty skin protectant cream on my drying out elbows and feet.
My results so far? Fewer Ws and nice soft skin.
BTW, youse guys with Ws can do this skin care regiment too. Just a few times a week makes a WORLD of difference.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #39

I don't have so many Ws but I do have the saggies...like Amethyst mentioned. It does get kinda depressing at times, but, I'm really glad most of my organs and important parts still work fairly well.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
aHA! The "W" word. Glad someone had the courage to get that out there.
I'm developing Ws under my eyes.
That is exactly my problem area! Oh well. It happens to everyone eventually!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote