Join Early Retirement Today

So for those that did RE...
Old 10-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

So for those that did RE...

I'd like to hear your comments on this article and those like it. I will retire between 55-60 so early (but not early enough for me) and my first reaction is really what is the difference the years make for the reasons quoted. The same issues could/would be there after 60 maybe moreso. I do agree about the planning But I'm not expert since I still work. But there are lots of folks here who are experienced

The link here

The article summarized [mod edit for copyright reasons] for those that don't want to go the link

My immediate advice to someone who is planning to retire between 55 and 60 would be to not do it. However, if you are both willing and able, you may find retiring early takes more planning and work than staying in the workplace longer.
... [mod edit]
So, before you retire, do some careful planning that goes well beyond financial security. ... What will you be pursuing to give you a daily sense of purpose?
[mod edit]
What will you do to translate that dividend of time into quality life years, not just time off?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

After 6.5 years, I have not run out of things to do. I don't know how I managed to squeeze a j*b into my schedule.

I also feel better, am in better physical condition, and am under much less stress than when working.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

I suspect the article is aimed at maximizing value extraction from labor units prior to disposal. But that's just me...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All I can do is relate my experience, which is that my "daily sense of purpose" INCREASED after retirement, not decreased. I spent a lot of time at work the last several years feeling that a large chunk of my time each week was being wasted on things like pointless meetings, uninteresting projects, stupid performance reviews, etc.........I think many know what I am talking about. After retirement, I was finally free to spend my time on projects and activities that were interesting to ME. I have no illusion that the things I spend my time on now are changing the world in a major way, but I'm perfectly okay with that - they are meaningful to me, and that's enough. The one thing I agree with in your summary of the article is that everyone should spend some time prior to retirement thinking hard about how they will spend their time in retirement. In my case, I spent a long time thinking about it, and I saw no chance of being bored in retirement. And that is the way it has worked out - 4 1/2 years into retirement, and I consider all of them so far to be "quality life years", without a doubt.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I suspect the article is aimed at maximizing value extraction from labor units prior to disposal. But that's just me...
+1. I think we will see more of these articles as more baby boomers reach retirement age. The super wealthy do not want to have their taxes raised to pay for increased SS and Medicare. So we're supposed to just take one for the team and work until we drop.

Who would want to spend their days hiking with a nature group or learning French cooking anyway when you could be in a cube filling out TPS reports instead?

Most of these articles are simply the more senior versions of the ones encouraging uninsured younger workers that no insurance at all was better than signing up for ACA subsidized insurance.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I can see both sides and tend to take a middle view. Life is not a binomial two state existence (RE or not). Being FI means you can RE; but to me retirement is doing what you want, even if that means a j*b. No way I would continue my previous hi stress/hi travel j*b, but I'm very happy teaching at the university. Some would say that I'm not RE since I still set an alarm, but it suits me. I guess the critical point is the power to choose how you spend your time.
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:

+1. I find WSJ to be getting worse and worse.

To OP: I've been out for a year and 8 months. I haven't done anything overly meaningful except enjoy my life, and help my friends and family in ways I never had time for before.

If I had stayed I would have been able to write one more yearly action plan, two yearly self appraisals, and multiple PowerPoint slides justifying to newly rotated upper managers the value of my department to the organization. World changing stuff!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post

So, before you retire, do some careful planning that goes well beyond financial security. ... What will you be pursuing to give you a daily sense of purpose?
[mod edit]
What will you do to translate that dividend of time into quality life years, not just time off?
As if w*rk gave me a daily sense of purpose and qualify life years. At one point it did and might have been tougher to walk away from. It wasn't for me at the end, and hadn't been for some time.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

These articles annoy me. The 'studies' try so very hard to group people into tiny little segments...similar to bring grouped as a Democrat or a Republican...most people aren't straight line voters as I'm guessing most people don't want to be grouped in these 'studies'. It's awfully hard to be your own person, isn't it?

And I would guess there is a study out there that completely disagrees with this guy's hypothesis.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
After 6.5 years, I have not run out of things to do. I don't know how I managed to squeeze a j*b into my schedule.

I also feel better, am in better physical condition, and am under much less stress than when working.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

+1

I really cannot relate to anything written in this article.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I thought the comments were better than the article itself. Anyone agree?

For me, ERing (at 45, nearly 6 years ago) got rid of the biggest negative, the thing I hated the most about working - the dang commute! Getting rid of a negative is just as enjoyable, if not more enjoyable, than finding a new positive. And I get reinforcement of that elimination of a big negative part of my former everyday life simply by watchinglistening to the traffic and transit reports on any given day.

I did add a lot of personal activities to my everyday life when I switched from working FT to PT back in 2001, and those 7 years of working PT were better than the 16 years of FT work which preceded them. Being able to keep doing those activities (and expand on them to some degree) has been good, too. But it is simply the elimination of the commute which remains my #1 reason I like being ERed so much.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #11

Many years ago at Megacorp, they had some really really super early-out packages. I was way too young then to be able to apply for them. But such gnashing of teeth I never saw before on the part of those that were eligible. Some of the people were bordering on being physically sick due to the stress of making a decision. Every morning they came in with the opposite decision that they had left the evening before with. Most of those that finally took it, were looking for something to do in 6 months or so.

Some people are not cut out for ER. Those that need the structure of a job every day that they have to go to. To stay out of the way of the spouse at home. For many of these people, work was the part of their life they felt they controlled. Without it, they were floating. They became a loose nobody (I doubt they would agree with my generalization, but I'm the observer).

I would expect that very very few people who post on this board are of the type that couldn't really handle ER.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

It has gotten to the point where I can't read any articles authored by or promoted by financial services companies or services. Can you get bored? Yes Can you solve that in a way that is better than working? Definitely
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Not retired yet but I don't envision my retirement as a time of inactivity. On the contrary as long as my body and mind allow I expect to be at least as active in retirement as in w*rk. Articles that tell me to work longer than absolutely needed for FI make me flat our angry.
longranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:32 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
I'd like to hear your comments on this article and those like it. I will retire between 55-60 so early (but not early enough for me) and my first reaction is really what is the difference the years make for the reasons quoted. The same issues could/would be there after 60 maybe moreso. I do agree about the planning But I'm not expert since I still work. But there are lots of folks here who are experienced

The link here

The article summarized [mod edit for copyright reasons] for those that don't want to go the link
I do wish these experts had actually tried retirement for a few year before pontificating on it. You know if I was the director of an MIT research lab like the author, I probably wouldn't want to retire either. He is basically his own boss, and is top researcher at highly prestigious institution, and it is easy to believe that his work on aging and retirement is meaningful.

I've said before if you are fortunate enough to have a good job, you'll find your best months working to be more fulfilling than your worse months retired, but your worse months retired will be better than you worse months working. Retirement is lower highs and higher lows, if that isn't want you than keep working.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:38 AM   #15

Not retired yet, but still. From the article:

Quote:
Ask yourself what will you be doing in between the vacations, fixing the house, visiting grandchildren and the occasional community activity? Those activities are highlights, not life.
They are only highlights if you do them occasionally. Fixing the house can easily take up years of your time. You can go on decades long vacations.

Quote:
What will you be pursuing to give you a daily sense of purpose
What percentage of paid activities give a daily sense of purpose? If you don't work a regular job you can do all sorts of things, including visiting sick people, helping with a charity, programming a useful application, growing flowers for loved ones. Or are these highlights, not life?

Quote:
As it is often said, a person has to have a reason to get up in the morning.
Most people will go to work to do things they mostly do not enjoy. Is that a good reason to get up in the morning?

Some people like to get up in the morning to enjoy the sun, feel raindrops fall on their skin and play with their dogs. Try to do that when you are sitting at a desk.

Methinks author lacks imagination. If only a big stick will whack you out of bed in the morning you got bigger issues than early retirement considerations.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post

I've said before if you are fortunate enough to have a good job, you'll find your best months working to be more fulfilling than your worse months retired, but your worse months retired will be better than you worse months working. Retirement is lower highs and higher lows, if that isn't want you than keep working.
+1 The cautions are irrelevant to most people on this board since few here unconditionally love their work or they wouldn't be here. Some of us have (or had) good jobs but even we had quite negative aspects that eventually outweighed the rewards. And most of us who have ERd and have been very happy with the result. As for those who have jobs they actively dislike or even hate, the question is pretty much just a calculation of can I afford it.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I thought the comments were better than the article itself. Anyone agree?
Yes, the comments in the article were much better than the article itself!
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver;1503516
[I
My immediate advice to someone who is planning to retire between 55 and 60 would be to not do it.[/I]
I agree with this part of the article - if at all possible, do it before age 55.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
+1 The cautions are irrelevant to most people on this board since few here unconditionally love their work or they wouldn't be here. Some of us have (or had) good jobs but even we had quite negative aspects that eventually outweighed the rewards. And most of us who have ERd and have been very happy with the result. As for those who have jobs they actively dislike or even hate, the question is pretty much just a calculation of can I afford it.
The part of your quote I bolded definitely describes how, over time, the awful commute I had wore me down to the point where the negatives abot it eventually surpassed the positives about the job itself. And it wasn't so much my job satisfaction fell sharply. It remained pretty high although it did erode a little bit. It was just that the awful commute and its negativity rose quickly in the late 1990s (it was making me physically ill at times, causing me to see a shrink for a few months), causing me to push hard to reduce it (I had a mostly telecommute deal for 2 years from 2001-2003), along with my weekly hours worked.

When my company eliminated all open-ended telecommuting in late 2003, it returned the horrors of commuting, even only 3 days a week. It did not take long for its negative aspects to again surpass the positives of working, despite a second reduction in the commute and weekly hours worked in 2007. By 2008, I could do only one thing - reduce the commute to ZERO and retire. I recall telling the HR rep in my exit interview that I hated the commute so much that even if they offered the old (mostly) telecommute deal I had in 2001-2003 (it included one day a week going to the office), I would turn it down because it would be too often.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
You know if I was the director of an MIT research lab like the author, I probably wouldn't want to retire either. He is basically his own boss, and is top researcher at highly prestigious institution, and it is easy to believe that his work on aging and retirement is meaningful.
There is a Nat Geo documentary on stress that I saw on Netflix that pretty much came to the same conclusions. Whether it is a baboon troop or British government workers, those at the top with autonomy had less stress and those kicked around below with less control over their days had significantly higher stress levels, measurable by blood tests.

I have not found working at my own little business to be stressful, though I still wouldn't want to do it for 60+ hours a week, including commute.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote