Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Walt, I think you are philosophically exactly correct. But I wonder if maybe some things are not innately more likely to work out well for the retiree? For me at least watching daytime TV or even very much evening TV would likely leave me feeling depressed, even moreso if I am watching alone.

Even after 25 years of retirement I will start to feel bad if I am indoors much during the day.

Ha

If you've been retired 25 years, how old were you when you retired, ha? IF you don't mind me asking. You had to be in your 30's?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
If you've been retired 25 years, how old were you when you retired, ha? IF you don't mind me asking. You had to be in your 30's?
Yeah. Enquiring minds want to know.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Walt, I think you are philosophically exactly correct. But I wonder if maybe some activities are not more likely to work out well for the retiree? For me at least, watching daytime TV or even very much evening TV would likely leave me feeling depressed, even moreso if I were watching alone.
No argument there. But if I do spend all day watching history channel it doesn't bother me.

My point is that I think many people get hung up on what they "should" be doing instead of just enjoying the freedom from responsibilities that retirement offers. With no responsibilities what's left?

Um, gee. Go out and play.

Do whatever you want (within reason of course). If one is content with gardening or feels a compulsion to climb Mt Kilimanjaro and has the resources to do it, why not? And neither is "better" than the other.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Before long I will be 69, that magical age.

So I was in my mid-forties.

Ha
Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Before long I will be 69, that magical age.

So I was in my mid-forties.

Ha

Mid-40's? Wow..either you saved like a fiend or decided to live on less? Or earned alot or inherited alot early?
Regardless, you look GREAT for your age, you old sue-wave and de-boner gent you!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickko View Post
So, how are you keeping "interested" and finding purpose?
I find that "the fire" isn't there, as much as when I was younger.
I'm glad, oh so very glad, that I don't have to be doing unpleasant things, like work at a non-interesting job, but, my personality is one that needs, or at least, finds comfort, in "a purpose".
So, how do you do it?
I read this post very early this morning, and was going to answer but my web service was running like molasses in January. So I had all day to think about it.
Since the age of 15, I had all sorts of "purposes", i.e. consecutive milestones that I w*rked my tail off to achieve. High school marks, Honor Society, competitive scholarship tests and awards, college degree, professional empl*yment, publishing, designing a technology invention, 2 patents, yadda yadda.
All those lofty things which I aspired to, and achieved, are a collection of things of which I am very proud. Feisty little Freebird actually pulled it off.
At age 48, when I FIREd, I had a heck of a time driving the forum members crazy adjusting to it. In many ways, at almost 3 years into FIRE, I still am.
I've also had a lot of drastic negative changes in my personal life. But I have emerged as a strong survivor.
The good news is I have discovered that I can be comfy with having shorter term and less elite "purposes". These days, my personal goals are much kinder and gentler on my psyche.
Having blithered on about said all that, I believe that my main purpose in life now is to go forward positively in a brand new life.
My new favorite flavor is Lemonade.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
No argument there. But if I do spend all day watching history channel it doesn't bother me.

My point is that I think many people get hung up on what they "should" be doing instead of just enjoying the freedom from responsibilities that retirement offers. With no responsibilities what's left?

Do whatever you want (within reason of course). If one is content with gardening or feels a compulsion to climb Mt Kilimanjaro and has the resources to do it, why not? And neither is "better" than the other.
DH has been retired for a year. Every once in a while he'll say, "I haven't done anything today."

I reply, "So....what's your point?"

He's slowly but surely getting it.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #28

I'm going to admit I don't have any defined purpose in life, nor do I have any real hobbies. Yet somehow I manage to find there is not enough hours in the day to do the things I decide I want to do. I don't have any regular time commitments such as volunteering and decide on a daily basis what I feel like doing.

I love my life, I don't feel the need to find a cure for cancer or prove that I am a good person by becoming involved in activities others think I should be involved in. I run my life to suit myself and my husband.

If I don't feel like doing any housework I won't, if I don't feel like cooking dinner I don't, if I want to stay in my pjs until midday I do.

To me life is for living in a way that makes each of us happy. I don't care what anyone else thinks of me or the way I live my life. I don't spend any time thinking about what anyone else does or whether or not they have a purpose in life.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

IMO, "purpose" is overrated. If you want it and find it, great; but I think a lot of folks don't need "purpose." Now if you mean "how do you avoid boredom," that's another story and there's a lot on that in the archives here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
IMO, "purpose" is overrated. If you want it and find it, great; but I think a lot of folks don't need "purpose." Now if you mean "how do you avoid boredom," that's another story and there's a lot on that in the archives here.
I can't imagine being bored when retired and free to pursue one's interests, instead of chained to a cubicle working.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Interesting posts so far on "purpose".

I've decided that my main "purpose" in life is to satisfy my curiosity. That can be done by many sorts of activities like reading books, taking a nature walk, learning about a new plant type and putting it in the garden. It's nice to actually do something during the day that feels like accomplishment. That can be a yard task or just going for a run. We save the occasional TV show for when we're tired at night. If I'm down it's generally because I need to get a nap or go to bed early that night.

If you are the organized purposeful type, you might try filling up a calender with your accomplishments. I like to buy a weekly desk calender and use different ink colors for different activities. Running gets green ink, appointments in red, other things in orange. And then there is the spreadsheet to remind me of the other things on the "todo" list plus books I have read and others on my reading list.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
... you might try filling up a calender with your accomplishments. I like to buy a weekly desk calender and use different ink colors for different activities. Running gets green ink, appointments in red, other things in orange. And then there is the spreadsheet to remind me of the other things on the "todo" list plus books I have read and others on my reading list.
I like that method, good one for the someday to-do list: organize calendar. I sometimes put a list of choices on the calendar and choose one or none of them, and later delete the ones I didn't choose.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...If you are the organized purposeful type, you might try filling up a calender with your accomplishments. I like to buy a weekly desk calender and use different ink colors for different activities. Running gets green ink, appointments in red, other things in orange. And then there is the spreadsheet to remind me of the other things on the "todo" list plus books I have read and others on my reading list.
Did someone call my name?
I use my MS Outlook Calendar function to set myself up with things ToDo on a weekly basis. I know how that sounds .
However...first thing every weekday AM, I am presented with a potpourri of selections for fun things to do plus time constrained events.
Reminders include articles to read (links copied/pasted from this forum), checking for the arrival of ordered items, tax refunds, tax filing and due dates, car inspection deadlines, things I need to research or order online, my fixed time appointments for the week, reminders to pay bills, car related honey-dos for dh2b, etc etc.
I can snooze most of them until the next day or so, or even the following week if that suits me.
Essentially, why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...(snip)...
I use my MS Outlook Calendar function to set myself up with things ToDo on a weekly basis. I know how that sounds .
I'm into a bit of those recurring Outlook events like "check spa" or "car tire pressure" too .
Old 03-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Purpose?

OK. As corny as it may sound, I do random acts of kindness occasionally (and not too often since I am no saint)
OK..... so can you honestly say now that you don't have the time to become a Saint?
Here's your chance. Sainthood may be only a few months a "one random act of kindness" per hour away. No more reincarnation into stupid jobs for you, just eons of time delving into the deeper ramifications of cosmic sainthood.

Z
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Walt, sadly Iīm one of those guys -that you mention-constantly thinking that I should be doing something useful, practical, "meaningful" wth my extensive free time.....but do nothing of the sort. And I kind of end up feeling remorseful, for wasting my time and not profitting from a situation that many envy. All this compounded by seeing that my retired colleagues do what I think I ought to be doing too..... but donīt. Reading the "what did you do today" thread causes the same depressing feeling to me....
All these things make me think that I am either a dull person or without interests-that I donīt deserve the windfall of my very privileged ERment.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm into a bit of those recurring Outlook events like "check spa" or "car tire pressure" too .
Don't forget to check the pH on the fish tank.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
...(snip)...
All these things make me think that I am either a dull person or without interests-that I donīt deserve the windfall of my very privileged ERment.
Hi Vicente, not that you need it but you have my permission to kick up your heels and do nothing . Doing something can be as simple as watching the birds.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My 'purpose' in life seems to be helping.

I feed birds, squirrels, stray cats...

I donate to causes and individuals.

Sometimes (when asked) I even give advice.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Walt, sadly Iīm one of those guys -that you mention-constantly thinking that I should be doing something useful, practical, "meaningful" wth my extensive free time....
That's the issue that I ran into. All my life since about high school I was the "responsible one" who could be relied on when something absolutely had to get done, and done right. At work other people's lives depended on what I did or didn't do. And so on...

...And then all that responsibility goes away. It took more than a year before it occurred to me "Why do I have to do anything?"

Who is putting that onus on me? Why, me, of course.

So this summer, when the weather is nice, I'm going to have a hard time deciding whether to go for a motorcycle ride or take the boat out and go fishing. Decisions, decisions....