Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
, even while working a lot of people don't feel like they have a purpose
Reminds me of the lyrics from that old Canadian band 'Trooper'....

"We're here for a long time, not a good time.."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 07:00 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
For me "Having purpose" is greatly overrated! Humans may be the only species on earth that thinks there must be purpose in their life. I reached the age of 73, have a great family, friends and enjoy getting up in the morning. Nothing that I do has purpose. It just is!
Well, you got to fly Bronco's so there is that.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

At 8 months in to retirement, this is my first time dealing with winter while not working. I've noticed I'm not quite as productive as I am during the warmer months. I initially had problems with pacing when I retired. That first week I about killed myself trying to get everything done right away. I felt like I had overcome that and really hit my stride about the time the first snow flakes started falling. I was a little worried/depressed about the lack of productivity at first, but I've pushed myself to do something productive, something fun, and something that makes me learn each day. But it's also nice to watch the snow falling, know that it's below zero outside, and decide, "Eh, not today." I make a fire and curl up with a good book. As I often tell our cat, "It's a good day to be an indoor cat."
Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
I've noticed I'm not quite as productive as I am during the warmer months.
There's your problem right there.

Measuring (or even contemplating) "productivity" in retirement is an unecessary remnant left over from the w*rking world. The sooner you break that nasty habit the happier you will be.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:25 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
There's your problem right there.

Measuring (or even contemplating) "productivity" in retirement is an unecessary remnant left over from the w*rking world. The sooner you break that nasty habit the happier you will be.
Perhaps.

I'm not big in to the ideal of needing a "purpose" in life or anything philosophical like that. But I think I would feel awkward if I worked hard to retire early and then didn't manage to keep my life in order. There's no excuse for dirty dishes or unfolded laundry when you're not working. Sitting around saying "Oh, someday I'm going to re-do that living room" and then spending 5 days binge watching Breaking Bad feels "off" to me. I still make my weekly to-do lists, and I still derive satisfaction from crossing items off that list. Sometimes the list contains things like "finish reading book" or "go checkout new coffee place" so it's not like I feel that I'm pushing myself too hard, mind you. But yeah, you're right, I still do that mental status report at the end of each week.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

My purpose in life is to make it to retirement. Has been since my first year in the sweatshop. TMY to my rendezvous with destiny!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think I've mastered the ability to simply "be" and find contentment in that small accomplishment.
I think that is a great point! I'm only a little under a year into FIRE, but I think I'm well on my way to mastering this concept
Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking for a purposeful pursuit? My wife volunteers at the local food pantry. Just about every town has one, and most of them are understaffed and would welcome some help.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, I have that feeling -- every single day I go to work! I have never derived a sense of purpose from my job. It is one of the many reasons I began working on FIRE.

I have many hobbies, most of which are being rudely inhibited by the 45-50 hours per week involved in my employment. I can not wait until the whole 'work' thing is out of the way so that I can pursue my hobbies full time. Some are more meaningful than others. Hopefully I'll find a few that give me a 'sense of purpose' -- like my genealogy and my memoir projects.

Get out of the snow. Expand your mind beyond your house.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Well, you got to fly Bronco's so there is that.
For over 2,700 hrs!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #51

I did have that problem of "Not having a purpose" for a while after retirement. Then the light dawned over Marblehead and I realized that being retired, I don't need or want a purpose. If I had a purpose I would then feel compelled to expend a lot of energy meeting and achieving that purpose. And dangnabit, I already did that, and earned the right to achieve as little as possible!

I'm succeeding.

A while back a fella called Nords wrote a great post about this phenomenon: The "fog of work"
Old 01-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My purpose is to take care of my health, spend more time with my children and grandchildren, learn another language, and generally have control of my own time.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #53
Administrator

I think tools have a purpose. For example, what is the purpose of a hammer? To hammer in nails.

Now, if I was a religious person (which I'm not, I'm agnostic), then in a sense I would be a tool of my deity, devoting my life to whatever purpose He saw for me.

But I am not to be used for a purpose, by anybody, even a deity, no way, no how, nope nope nope.

In retirement I get to define what to do every day. Perhaps some would say I have no purpose, in that no moronic, addle-brained supervisor is telling me what I have to do with every moment of every work day and micromanaging me half to death while I do it.

To me, retirement is FREEDOM. It's a weird feeling at first, pretty heady, and pretty awesome, really! But I like it very much.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have found that friends are very important. When I was working, life was very structured and that gave purpose. Since I have retired, my life is still structured and I make a list of things to do each day. That goes along with the calendar. The list is not set in stone, and that is what is good about being free. You can change plans on a whim. I like living more in the present now. I hope this helps...friends and a list.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #55

I never did feel I had to have a purpose in life. I only thought about it (but, never for long) when someone else would mention it). I enjoyed working for 30+ years, but if the job were my purpose, it missed recognizing it. If I had another purpose, it must have been so minute that I didn’t realize it (I hate it when that happens).

However, being productive (or at least conning myself into thinking that I am productive)—well, that seems to have some importance to me. And, since I’m in charge, I get to decide what feels productive. Working long days and making good money was certainly evidence (to me) of being productive.

Now, it appears that I am no longer working. I found myself, let’s say, downsizing what productivity is. I can’t build a house (I guess that might be considered productive by some others), and I’m not handy, so I can’t do plumbing (maybe it’s because I don’t have the right tools). But, anyway, I can call a plumber and set up an appointment. And, I can feel that’s being productive. Just the other day, I learned what the “backspace key” on the computer keyboard does—just how productive is that? “Plenty,” I say.

So lowering the bar (that’s productive right there), or calling someone in to lower the bar (maybe a little less productive, but still productive) might be a good idea for those who are looking for a purpose in life. Takes a lot of pressure off.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I have been finding that if you ain't somebody, you're nobody. I am trying to adjust to that.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:50 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I have been finding that if you ain't somebody, you're nobody. I am trying to adjust to that.
There's another thread on this forum about those leaving high profile jobs.

After being 'somebody' for 30+ years, I'm quite enjoying being nobody.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

As a few of you have stated this also is my first winter in retirement. In addition we have had the coldest and harshest winter in decades (Portland). Knowing that the winters would be difficult we committed to somewhere between 2-4 weeks in a warm tropical place every year. This year we're leaving for Mexico at the end of the month.

In addition I've been studying for a month to become tax certified for AARP Tax Aide program which will keep a couple/few days a week very busy until we're out of the winter.

Yes we're bored at times but it seems like we spend more time in bed resting up for spring/summer period where we burn the candle at both ends.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think tools have a purpose. For example, what is the purpose of a hammer? To hammer in nails.

Now, if I was a religious person (which I'm not, I'm agnostic), then in a sense I would be a tool of my deity, devoting my life to whatever purpose He saw for me.

But I am not to be used for a purpose, by anybody, even a deity, no way, no how, nope nope nope.

In retirement I get to define what to do every day. Perhaps some would say I have no purpose, in that no moronic, addle-brained supervisor is telling me what I have to do with every moment of every work day and micromanaging me half to death while I do it.

To me, retirement is FREEDOM. It's a weird feeling at first, pretty heady, and pretty awesome, really! But I like it very much.
I totally agree with this sentiment.

AN EXAMPLE: I'm so worked up about freedom that I don't even want to have others teach me how to do something (for a fee). For instance, I like to do drawing and painting outdoors. There are others in an informal art group I get together with monthly. Some take classes from other artists and a few people consider themselves above my skill level (they might be right as they did some art for pay). I won't take a class from another artist because I'm at the level where I have to express what I see for myself. I don't want to mimic others and whenever you take a class, that teacher will always remember that student-teacher dynamic and you will be slightly inferior forever. I've sold a few paintings but no more of that. I don't want to be judged by buyers or gallery owners -- no need for the profits and money does not mix with art at all well for me. Van Gogh is my idol in this (self taught, never made money in art) ... but no plans to disfigure myself.

Freedom is tough because one has to define themselves and live with their own limitations. But it is liberating.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Do you really feel more purpose doing something you are told to do, rather than deciding what you want to do?

-ERD50
Nicely said!