Join Early Retirement Today

Sooner than I Thought?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Sooner than I Thought?

Since posting my first thread on "Hi, I'm..." I've been thinking more about my time remaining before I bail on Jan. 24. Quoting myself:

"Hmmmm...... 153 days, eh? I've been reckoning in months & weeks. I wonder at what point xxx days FEELS shorter than y months or zz weeks. This needs further study."

Today I realized another way of looking at it. If I subtract the weekends, holidays & use-or-lose leave time I have, I've only got 75 work days left! Woohoo, instant mood brightener!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Sooner than I Thought?
Old 08-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bobot, welcome!* I like your handle and your avatar.* I thought it was a really fat cat with black head and really short black arms and a big white stomach like a penguin, but now I see that what I thought was its tummy is a white cushion.* I prefer to still see it as a penguin-like cat.

Anyway, I play a similar trick on myself regarding countdown to ER.* Instead of thinking somewhere between 6 1/2 years and 7 years, I keep track of how many working Mondays I have left.* Because I can't do quick math, somehow 355 Mondays does not seem so long to me as when it's expressed in years.* I'd also have to wait a long time to reduce my number if I were keeping track of it in years or even months.* On the other hand, number of days--auggh, too big and depressing, ~2500!

Won't be long 'til Jan. 24--hurrah for you!

Old 08-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobot
Today I realized another way of looking at it. If I subtract the weekends, holidays & use-or-lose leave time I have, I've only got 75 work days left! Woohoo, instant mood brightener!
How depressing I only have 845 days left
Old 08-28-2006, 05:47 PM   #4

For me 307 workdays just doesn't feel much different than 430 calendar days.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Since posting my first thread on "Hi, I'm..." I've been thinking more about my time remaining before I bail on Jan. 24. Quoting myself:

"Hmmmm...... 153 days, eh? I've been reckoning in months & weeks. I wonder at what point xxx days FEELS shorter than y months or zz weeks. This needs further study."

I have 71 days left I am done Dec 22, Jan 1 counts as my retirement day. school Xmas break starts dec 22!!

I do have 203 sick days so I figure I will take about 20 so what maybe 51 days of work?

My only problem is I must travel up to Newark NJ to finish my NJ teaching career and live with my sister for the next 4 months. My wife will be able to enjoy the new NC house and great weather.

I am not looking forward to my travel between NJ and NC but with so many sick days I figure I will take 4 weeks off during the next 4 months, maybe I will take the train instead of the 500 mile trips back and forth.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Use those days baby use em don't give up let em figure how to work without you. They will the day after you hit the door they won't care one way or the other.
Take care of yourself
Kitty
Old 08-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #7

200 working days until DW can ER. I can go anytime but am feathering the nest while I wait for DW. I look at it as being ER'd "in place". As long as they pay me and allow me to use my 11 foot BS pole I will stick around for a while longer. It is nice to know I could leave at anytime and my resignation letter only needs a date to make it effective. 8)
Old 08-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I look at it as being ER'd "in place".
Ah, the military's ROADS program-- retired on active duty service...

I hope this isn't you, Steve!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Wally motivation.gif (26.6 KB, 232 views)
Attached Files
File Type: gif_thumb Wally motivation.gif_thumb (11.2 KB, 0 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love it....

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #10

My original plan was to bail sometime in the summer of 2015, when I'm 45, but I guess it would pay me a bit to stick it out until early 2016, to get the slight bump in SS? Plus, to get about 5-6 more months to pad the nest egg.

Anyway, if I'm doing the math right, I work about 221 days per year. Saturday/Sunday account for 104 days, we get 10 federal holidays, and I get 30 days per year of leave.

So I figure 9 more years is about 1989 days. Plus maybe 100 more to get me into the early part of 2016. So ~2000 days total.

In some ways, that seems like a long way to go. But then, it doesn't! I guess the old adage of live every day to its fullest rings true now more than ever.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Ah, the military's ROADS program-- retired on active duty service...

I hope this isn't you, Steve!
Nope, that would not be me. *I don't need anybody to provide my motivation...I am responsible for that myself. *My motivation is purly $$$ at this point. *Once DW gets closer and the nest is sufficiently overstuffed I will date my resignation letter and they will get my two weeks notice. *

Retired in place is more a state of mind than anything. *I endure only what I want to and most people give me a lot of room because they know I can bail anytime and it would take them a few months to replace me. *They appreciate what I can do and I appreciate being well paid for doing it. *We have an agreement. *Once the BS bucket gets too full I either take off for a few days or I just drop the bucket and let it sit on my boss's desk for him to take care of it. *So far it has worked out fine but I still plan on getting completely out of this business next year. *
Old 08-31-2006, 07:31 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

"How depressing I only have 845 days left"

Then my 1074 days left should make you feel a little better.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I subtract the weekends, holidays & use-or-lose leave time I have, I've only got 75 work days left! Woohoo, instant mood brightener!
Unfortunately I frequently have to work 6-7 days / week and that includes night work (it's healthcare). So 355 Mondays, 2,485 days or approximately 200 working weekends still seems worse than 6 years 10 months......