Join Early Retirement Today

Southeast Asia (Thailand, Myanmar, Singapore, etc)
Old 07-20-2003, 11:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Southeast Asia (Thailand, Myanmar, Singapore, etc)

Hi

I've seen some posts regarding Thailand. How about other countries in Southeast Asia?

Cost of living will be a big plus. For someone like me who was born in that region, it sure is a thought.
amt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Southeast Asia (Thailand, Myanmar, Singapore,
Old 07-21-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

I recently learned about a couple working for an oil company and livng in Jakarta Indonesia. They took the job to earn extra money for retirement. The wife was recently diagnosed with Liver cancer. They immediately came back to the US for treatment. The doctors are not very hopeful. It seems that there is a fungus that grows on rice that produces a toxin that can cause liver cancer. This form of liver cancer is virtually unseen in the US. (FDA limits the amount of the toxin that can be present in foods). It is mainly seen in Asia.

Not to scare anyone off of Asia, but it does give pause. What other dangers lurk in other countries and how do you go about finding out about them? If you know about them then at least you can make an informed decision.

Not that the US is danger free, just that we are more aware of the dangers. Eating only at fast food restaurants might kill you as quickly. Not to mention probably one of the biggest killers in the US, car wrecks.

Sorry for the doom and gloom.
lauraf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The doom and gloom is excused. This always makes me think of a line from one of my favorite movies, 'HEAT'.
An informant tells Al Pacino, "I could get killed telling you
this stuff!" Al replies, "You can get killed walkin' your doggie!" This pretty much sums up our view of the
uncertainty of counting on being around for any particular length of time. We just don't do it. You have
today. Everything else is a maybe......................
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:18 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

The simple solution to the auto injury/death problem is to ALWAYS buckle up - thereby greatly increasing your survival chances in the event of an accident.

As to being forced to live outside the USA, I'd say that that would be a major drawback if that was the only way one could retire early (especially in today's political environment).

Hate to be so ethnocentric, but I just can't imagine having to live in a 3rd world (i.e. non-USA) place.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:56 PM   #5

Yep, and Texas is our first choice for relocation.
We have not been to New Zealand, nor will we be
going. You do not have to visit every place in the world
to know what you like.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:21 AM   #6

Cut-Throat, you may have been to New Zealand but you
sure don't know Texas. I've been all over the state. You can't get the big picture
by driving through Amarillo. And BTW, I've had more than my share of lobster and champagne. Anyway,
life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Yep, and Texas is our first choice for relocation.
We have not been to New Zealand, nor will we be
going. *You do not have to visit every place in the world
to know what you like.
Geez, I'm trying to get our of Texas as fast as I can. Haven't retired yet, but planning to in 4-6 years. Looking at Colorado. Yes I'll pay state income taxes, but the property taxes are much lower (I pay more than $7000/year on a house worth about $215K). I can't stand the Texas climate - too hot and humid - my daughter says it's always raining around me due to my sweating. I feel like the wicked witch of the west in Oz when water was thrown on her - melting. Other reason is medical - Company will continue medical plan in retirement, but if they cut that off, Texas has a lousy substitute program (I have Type II diabetes).

To each his/her own.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:09 AM   #8

Quote:
I can't stand the Texas climate - too hot and humid
I've been trying to avoid commenting since Texas came up in this thread, but I can no longer resist.

Texas is a big state. There is no one climate, culture or lifestyle there, but a large variety.

The Houston area is too humid for me, but there is a lot more to Texas than Houston, Galveston and South Padre Island.

Also, Texas has a wide variety of industires, unlike some other states I've been to. Usually at least one of the industries is booming, even while the others are having a rough time. It helps to create fairly stable communities and a state that isn't constantly on the verge of bankruptcy. (I currently live in Indiana.)

Of course this doesn't mean that everyone should want to live there, but I don't understand the hostility towards Texas that I'm feeling here.

-Born in Texas and lived most of my life there
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:52 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hate to get political here (yes, I know this is a retirement room) but maybe Bush's recent carrying-ons have soured the rest of the nation to Texas?

At first I thought the Dixie Chicks were off base, but based on what keeps coming out about Bush on a daily basis, I'm now sensing their embarrassment just being an American.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:22 AM   #10

Well, since you opened the topic... I can't think of a bigger embarrassment than Bill Clinton as President!

Yet, in my travels past Hope, Arkansas and overnighting there, I never held it against the people of Hope, nor against the people of Arkansas.

Texas is a big state. No, don't think of it as JUST a state, it is way too big for that. Vastly differing terrain, climate, and loooong distances! Think of it as a country. As well it was. The only country to merge with the US. Peacefully.

"Texas... its a whole 'nother country"
Old 08-12-2003, 12:23 PM   #11

Southeast Asia?

If you've never been there, you should go. It's an interesting place. And anyone considering retirement on a budget should surely go. Take Thailand, for example. The cost of living can be very very reasonable.
Even on $1000 a month a person could do just fine, in the right location. Just the other day I was looking at some beach rentals on one of the Thai Islands, Koh Samui. Definitely affordable. Phuket is also nice, but a little bit more expensive.

I'm currently 52 and can retire in 2+ years. Money won't be a problem, but I'm still considering Thailand, just for the change of scenery. With $6000 US per month after taxes, I'll be able to live like a king. A full time maid would cost maybe $200 a month, likewise for a cook. I just couldn't do that in California.

Rex
Old 08-12-2003, 05:45 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Is there really such a place named Phuket That MUST be a goof!
Old 08-12-2003, 07:02 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is there really such a place named Phuket That MUST be a goof!

No Goof, Pronounced "Pookett" It is a small island off the coast. Too commercial though for my liking and far too touristy.

Ian
Old 08-13-2003, 08:55 AM   #14

Ian,

Well, each to his own, I guess. With repsect to your belief that Phuket is far to "touristy," I have to disagree. Perhaps Patong Beach is that way, but there's more to Phuket than Patong. It's a fairly large island.

Rex
Old 08-13-2003, 01:35 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My 2 cents - after advice and reading - go look for yourself. I'm glad we ER'd back in 93. Now in 03 the old arthritis takes the fun out of travel. Vacation?, Research?, call it what you will - time marches on.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:36 AM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets

Whether it's Singapore Thailand, Malaysia or Indonesia, it's Southeast Asia and it has it good points and bad.
Singapore is probably cleaner, safer and more efficient than 95 % of North American cities.
And the medical facilities definitely superior.
And I say that although I'm a caucasion and a native born Canadian.
Both weather and economics are obviously a plus in all these locations, but the main key to living there is to accept that everyone living on this rock is equal and has something to special to offer.
Leave the Racism and narrow minded attitudes at home.

cariad_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 03:30 AM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

About Southeast Asia, does anyone know what kind of Tax treaties exist between countries like Singapore or Thailand and the United States? Thru an acquaintance I am informed that Taiwan for example has an 8% tax on foreigners. But I don't know if there is a treaty protecting Americans from double taxation. I believe overseas Americans are unique in having to make a tax return even if they do not live in the country.
fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:48 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

http://www.geocities.com/ba264/laos.htm
Old 01-30-2004, 12:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Southeast Asia?

If you've never been there, you should go. *It's an interesting place. *And anyone considering retirement on a budget should surely go. *Take Thailand, for example. *The cost of living can be very very reasonable.
Even on $1000 a month a person could do just fine, in the right location. *Just the other day I was looking at some beach rentals on one of the Thai Islands, Koh Samui. *Definitely affordable. *Phuket is also nice, but a little bit more expensive. *

I'm currently 52 and can retire in 2+ years. *Money won't be a problem, but I'm still considering Thailand, just for the change of scenery. *With $6000 US per month after taxes, I'll be able to live like a king. *A full time maid would cost maybe $200 a month, likewise for a cook. *I just couldn't do that in California.

Rex
If two full-time workers make only $400 U.S. a month, and these folks probably have children to feed, a single person living on $1000 U.S. a month would live like a king already. $6000 U.S. a month after tax is more than comfortable even in most parts of the U.S.

Rex, if you have more information, please post them here.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:05 PM   #20

Quote:
About Southeast Asia, does anyone know what kind of Tax treaties exist between countries like Singapore or Thailand and the United States?
Have a look at IRS Publication 901 for summaries of the tax treaties.

http://www.irs.gov/app/scripts/redir...s-pdf/p901.pdf

Hyperborea
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote