Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Southern Ontario Canada (Niagara Region)
Old 07-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Southern Ontario Canada (Niagara Region)

Anyone on this board live in Southern Ontario? we are considering spending 6 months there and the other 6 months in Florida. We like the niagara region but really do not know the areas too well. I would like to hear from people who actually live there.

SWR
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Southern Ontario Canada (Niagara Region)
Old 07-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You wouldn't believe the size of the rattlesnakes......

I'm not really sure what attracted you to the region. Personally I really hate it, but that's for a variety of reasons that may not apply to you. Any reason to bother going there during the summer? It gets hot and muggy, and while it may be better than Florida for that, you still wouldn't be getting away from it. If you have a reason for going to Canada, there are nicer places on either coast, and that's for culture and other stuff, not just weather.

There's some nice farmland (quite flat and uninteresting, but rich soil and all that), not much in the way of cities I'd want to live in. A bunch of vineyards, although nothing that you can't find in a million more scenic places. If you particularly like George Bernard Shaw, there's an annual Shaw Festival and a lot of theatre in a really charming little community, Niagara-on-the-Lake. Other than that, I'm not really sure what there is, but it depends on what sort of things you're looking for.

The whole region seems kind of bland to me... like moving to Pittsburgh or something. Toronto is the most major metropolitan area in Canada, but there's nothing really remarkable about it as a city. There are some mostly nondescript smaller cities, some of them former industrial centers and some of them suburban wasteland. There are quite a few cottage-y lake areas, which are nice, but I'm not sure they're really a reason to move here... they're pretty similar to any lake region in the world, only in a sh*ttier climate, and with boring geography and boring people. But again, that's my perception and a lot of people, possibly including you, might really like it.

Care to share any of your reasons for considering the area? Feel free to ask any other questions, here or in PM.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We enjoyed staying at a B&B in Niagra-on-the-Lake
Very pretty - lots of wineries - you can bike them and sample their icewines and not get a DUI just a BUI...
Some people feel it is a bit Disneyish - I'm a big fan of Toronto - lots to do and eat great walking city and easy drive to Niagra
Here is a link for info and traveler opinions
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...e_Ontario.html
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Anyone on this board live in Southern Ontario? we are considering spending 6 months there and the other 6 months in Florida. We like the niagara region but really do not know the areas too well. I would like to hear from people who actually live there.
Perhaps you could indicate what interests you the most and our suggestions could be more targeted.* I spent a total of about 10 years living in the Toronto - Burlington corridor during 70's and 80's and might be able to offer something specific if you state your interests, e.g. big cosmopolitan area like Toronto or more 'vacation' like such as Niagara-on-the-Lake or Stratford or similar.

If and when Zipper sees this thread, he would have much knowledge, being a 'forever' resident of Southern Ontario.

However, I do agree with other posts that unless you have a specific Southern Ontario focus/need, there are better places to spend 6 'summer' months in Canada.

Edited for spelling....
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
You wouldn't believe the size of the rattlesnakes......

I'm not really sure what attracted you to the region.
All My remaining family is in Ontario, London, Toronto and Oshawa and the Niagara Region is close to the border. Plus I can get health care if I stay there for 153 days a year.

SWR
Old 07-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Perhaps you could indicate what interests you the most and our suggestions could be more targeted. I spent a total of about 10 years living in the Toronto - Burlington corridor during 70's and 80's and might be able to offer something specific if you state your interests, e.g. big cosmopolitan area like Toronto or more 'vacation' like such as Niagara-on-the-Lake or Stratford or similar.

If and when Zipper sees this thread, he would have much knowledge, being a 'forever' resident of Southern Ontario.

However, I do agree with other posts that unless you have a specific Southern Ontario focus/need, there are better places to spend 6 'summer' months in Canada.
Well our interests typically revolve around home, family and that type of thing. We travel a little, but have done so much in the past we are travelled out, at least for now. I am considering buying a place there and renting in the US.

Family is the main reason I am considering the region, as if it were not for health care I would stay in Florida 24/7/365

I am however curious as to what other areas one would prefer. I am not keen on Vancouver because of the proximity to Florida. And the other coast seems too far North.

Also great medical facilities in Toronto. I cannot get medical insurance in the USA till I am 65 (that is another 13 years away) as I have just been awarded a new PaceMaker. However, for $800 for 6 months for both myself and my wife I can get a rider for the Ontario Health plan OHIP, that covers the USA and anywhere else for that matter.

I forgot to say, I am very familiar with the area, just not living there. I lived in Toronto for 6 years in 82 and Calgary for 3 years in 88. So things to do is not a criterion. More like housing, cost of living etc. For anyone who lived in Toronto, whenever you get visitors, guess where your head..... You got it... Niagara Falls. I have never actually researched living in the region, that is all.
SWR

SWR
Old 07-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #7

Shok, get "Retire in Style" 60 Outstanding Places Across the USA and Canada.
Warren R. Bland 2005.

"London ON has a broad profile of strengths and few weaknesses. The city is well run and livable, with excellent ratings in culture and education, community services, healthcare, retailing and transportation."

Of the 60 listed the top 5 were Victoria BC (52), London ON (51), Portland OR (51), Boulder CO (51), San Antonio TX (50).

We are 2 hours from Detroit, Toronto, and Niagara. 1 hour to Pt. Huron MI.

30 minutes to Lake Erie and 40 minutes to L. Huron.

Southwestern ON is Class I farmland. We had fresh sweet corn, new baby potatoes and yellow beans for supper tonight. Niagara is more of a fruit growing region than we are.

You could easily spend 6 months here and 6 months in FL.

I 75 is an easy drive from Detroit all the way down. "Bin' down that road" many times.

If you are looking for clean well-maintained streets and parkland, low crime, low cost of living, world class healthcare, warm humid summers, and the centre of the universe, then this is the place for you.

We get a sh*tload of snow off Lake Huron in the winter, but you wouldn't need to worry about that.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I liked Sarnia a lot.

Right on the lake, right across the bridge from Michigan. The lake effect snow jumps right over Sarnia and lands about 10 miles further inland. The winter winds are like Chicago.

A quiet small town. Very midwest. Reminded me of Michigan. Boating in the summer, ice fishing, ice motorcycle racing and so forth in the winter. The local golf club has curling in the winter. Inexpensive housing. Good public transportation. Good shopping as it is a local center. A good place to retire. However, I don't know about the health care available. There were two hospitals and the govt was going to close one of them.

The best espresso I have ever had was made at the Blackwater Cafe downtown, which was a social center for diverse groups at different times of the day.

I still have friends there. Some newcomers found it hard to get involved with the local society, but I was welcomed. Young people came there to work but did not stay. Not a young person's town.

Lots going on if you are diligent and get involved with local society. Lots of retirees there. There used to be a lot of industry, refineries and chemical plants south of town, but lots of downsizing in the past ten years or so. People who came there from other places liked it, stayed and retired there. Golfing fees were a lot cheaper than they are here in Calgary.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to disagree, but I am not very partial to Sarnia at all. I worked there for about 7 months one year and swore I would never live there. I simply do not like the smell of the place.

London is OK. I just prefer further east as my family is in Toronto. Which is why I am leaning towards the Niagara region.

Thanks

SWR
Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

SWR,

Well, it ain't for everyone, for sure.

I don't believe it smelled when I was there. So much industry has gone away.

Toronto is a long ways away, though, particularly when the snow is thick on the highway. There are days I would not try the drive. Don't like white-outs.

Gypsy
Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Sorry to disagree, but I am not very partial to Sarnia at all. I worked there for about 7 months one year and swore I would never live there. I simply do not like the smell of the place.

London is OK.* I just prefer further east as my family is in Toronto. Which is why I am leaning towards the Niagara region.
Definitely agree Sarnia is NOT the place to be... I'd stay at least 2 counties away from that petrochemical soup.

Have you thought about the Orangeville/Hockley Hills area? I thought it was pretty cool based on memories from the '80's and not far from TO.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote