Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Speaking of inexpensive places to live in the US
Old 03-04-2007, 11:14 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
leave us Texcians to our scorpions, rattlesnakes, etc., etc., etc....
And let us not forget fire ants, killer bees, and black clay that shifts making foundations basically unstable.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

NewGuy

Yes, I know about Bucks County prices. I used to live in Hunterdon County also, just west of Clinton. Can't remember the name of the country road. It was beautiful though. Twelve acres with a 200 year old home and a carriage house with two fantastic apartments in it. Sure wish I could have held on to it. I sold it for $125,000 in around 1970. When I went back to see it in 1990, it was on the market for $1,699,000 mil. Today, who knows. But such is life. I guess a lot of us have storeies like that.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
Add Houston to the list. My house which I sold for 110K in 1996 is estimated to be worth 126K in 2007. Good school district, 4 br, 2 bath, pool, 2000 sq feet. I can put you in touch my old real estate agent.
Yes, Houston is very affordable. In fact it's so affordable, that it's one of few place on earth where your house actually depreciates with time. Using the above number, that house appreciates 1.3% annually while inflation runs about 3%.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter
Lazarus
Was curious about those high taxes in Texas. Just what kind of taxes do you pay there on a $125,000 house? I seem to remember reading once the average was around 3 1/2 to 4% of value. Am I all wet on that one? We are only at about 2% here in Florida, but that $125,000 house in Texas will cost you $300,000 here.

LazyGood4
Don't hold your breath on Florida doing anything SUBSTANTIAL to lower taxes. Back in 2000 a bill was voted on and passed that gave families a 25% break on their taxes if they provided for a portion of their home specifically (mother in law wing or guest house) to house their elder parents. It is now 2007, and they still have not enacted this into law. In 2001 I built a house with an apartment for my mother and retarded brother. NO TAX BREAK. When I call, they tell me they just haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess there's no time requirement for new bills that are passed.

I know Florida and Texas don't have state income taxes, but if you have a nice house in Florida and I gather Texas too, it seems like you pay more taxes than you would if you were in some states that impose state taxes.
I have made compaarisons on a few.

So when you want to retire and cut your expences as much as you can and still enjoy some quality of life, where do you go. Us Cosmopolitan, agnostic, Bush bashing liberals might not fare too well in Greenville, SC.

I do admit however, I miss the northern country side with real trees and rolling hills. (New Hope, Pa.) Now if we could just get the long cold winters and dreary grey skys out of the equation we would have something.

I pay about $3,100 per year.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb
I currently live in Bossier City, LA. Been here about 11 yrs now. Before that, I lived in and around Austin, TX for 15 yrs, with 7 of that being in Bastrop County. Hated to leave Bastrop TX, but now that I've been here for so long, and since I really love my fishing, PLUS since my kids are here, I more than likely will be retiring across the state line somewhere in East Texas. While property taxes are MUCH lower in Louisiana, I like the looks of things over around Longview, Tyler, Athens etc. Might even buy myself a retirement home on Lake Fork, known for it's huge largemouth bass! Got to have priorities in life, right? : I love the greenery and all the lakes. Ha....I'd love to take you on a boat tour of Caddo Lake if yer ever back in the area. In a bass boat, winding through the trails it's a real rush!
I used to live in Bossier. Met my wife there, she is from Shreveport. I lived at the North end of Airline back then. Caddo lake is nice!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #46

You know I often wonder about Wilmington, Delware (not a state mentioned too often huh?). Much lower cost of living vs. the rest of the east coast. So close to so many big city amenities and not far from some decent atlantic ocean beaches.

Full disclosure - I have never been to Wilmington, DE
Old 03-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

Check out Huntsville, AL - one of the lowest property taxes around, inside City for only .58 (100K house = $580/yr) total. In County, only .365. Great economy, very educated population, and no income tax on defined benefit pensions. Yes, they have a 8% sales tax (even on groceries), but overall is a bargain. Median home prices only $134,482 for 2006. If cheap living drives your ER decision, you gotta check this town out. It's no your typical or stereotypical AL town by any means.
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
You know I often wonder about Wilmington, Delware (not a state mentioned too often huh?). Much lower cost of living vs. the rest of the east coast. So close to so many big city amenities and not far from some decent atlantic ocean beaches.

DE has lower taxes (inlcuding real estate) but for the research I have done there are very few homes that are inexpensive.
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #49

Quote:
DE has lower taxes (inlcuding real estate) but for the research I have done there are very few homes that are inexpensive.
Hmmm. I suppose it was in reference to the surrounding cities - Philly, NYC, Baltimore & DC - suppose Boston isn't too far away either. I get an overall COL around 100 or slightly above.

Seems like the same case for one of my favorite places - Colorado. Higher than avg. housing but the all of the other things that go into the pot are lower than avg. or avg which brings the COL down.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #50

If you can tolerate the cold weather, Duluth, Minnesota is the place - very affordable.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat

I lived in Wilmington for a while. Although is's not as cheap as many southern towns, relative to parts of New Jersey, Pennsylania and Connecticut housing is inexpensive. Public schools are terrible - plan to spend a substantial amount on private school if you have children. No sales tax, but Wilmington has a city wage tax (IIRC it is 1.5%) so if you have a job that could hurt, in addition to the 6% state tax.

The location is wonderful, though. An easy drive to Philadelphia, Baltimore or DC. Regular Amtrack service to NYC and Washington, DC. Look outside the city of Wilmington, at places like Greenville and Hockessin - much nicer, and much lower crime stats, still relatively inexpensive.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote