Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

I heard a similar story from DW. Her best friend's hubby inherited about $150,000 from his mother when she passed a way. A few years after, the inheritance was completely gone. Her best friend said that her hubby ate out a lot, enjoyed dining out with good food, and ate his inheritance. That was his hobby - eating out and spending money of expensive restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I have a close friend that grew up very poor, and he only ate what he caught/shot--wild game. In his adulthood, he spent massive amounts of $ eating out. When he lost his job 10 years prior to retirement, he continued that lifestyle and had to go into a 401K to live. When it was time to retire, Ole Fred had to keep on working. He ate up his retirement, literally.

Eating out is just not that important in the total scheme of life.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's good to learn to cook from spending time with your Mother and helping when you are a child and have few things better to do.

I used to work with a couple of "20 somethings", one of which was lit up like a Christmas tree after cooking a really good dish at home for the first time. It was pancakes.

Pancakes I have been making since I was age 10. In the kitchen by myself. They never even hit the table. I made the batter, fried them in the pan and flopped them on the plate, syrup'ed and ate them on on the counter while I made the next batch.

Amazing.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Eating out has never been important to us, and we only do it 1x per week--usually Sunday lunch. And even then, it'll be something reasonable.

When working, we took our lunch most years. This alone was enough $ to fund a major vacation per year.

I have a close friend that grew up very poor, and he only ate what he caught/shot--wild game. In his adulthood, he spent massive amounts of $ eating out. When he lost his job 10 years prior to retirement, he continued that lifestyle and had to go into a 401K to live. When it was time to retire, Ole Fred had to keep on working. He ate up his retirement, literally.

Eating out is just not that important in the total scheme of life.
another who says "it depends". My sons and I do pizza out once a week. It's a wonderful time to "catch up". with them in college, working p/t and me with various obligations I think it's extremely important.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:39 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
It's good to learn to cook from spending time with your Mother and helping when you are a child and have few things better to do.

In my case, that "assumes facts not in evidence." (Mom was not, and is not, worth a hoot as a cook.) DW and I taught ourselves. Love to cook, and love to eat out occasionally--anything from cheap korean and thai to James Beard awarded molecular gastronomy.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

I make my own thin-crust pizza now and bake it fresh using Nan bread as crust .. it's pretty super - I like to put Italian salami, fresh mushrooms, olives, sardines in olive oil, low fat mozarella cheese, and Irish cheese, and just bake it for 10 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
another who says "it depends". My sons and I do pizza out once a week. It's a wonderful time to "catch up". with them in college, working p/t and me with various obligations I think it's extremely important.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #126
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I make my own thin-crust pizza now and bake it fresh using Nan bread as crust .. it's pretty super - I like to put Italian salami, fresh mushrooms, olives, sardines in olive oil, low fat mozarella cheese, and Irish cheese, and just bake it for 10 minutes.

Nice! I was just talking today about making thin crust pizza so I could smear it with pesto. I will have to try the Nan bread. Any chance they sell that or something similar at Whole Foods? I will have to check it out...
Old 04-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The homade pizzas are great. I've been making my own mostly wheat crusts that are pretty good according to DW. Normally with 4oz of bacon and a full pound of cheese, half of which is Provel☺. I haven't done a true St . Louis pizza yet, but the Provel makes it awesome.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #128

Spending Habits: Food & Drink

I used to make pizza, bread, etc.. at home. My kids loved them, but our family has gone almost gluten free, so I need to learn how to modify my recipe to make some form of gluten free crust.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #129
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I used to make pizza, bread, etc.. at home. My kids loved them, but our family has gone almost gluten free, so I need to learn how to modify my recipe to make some form of gluten free crust.

While I've not used it I've read folks with gluten issues make a cauliflower crust. From the reviews I've read seems like it's a love it or hate it reaction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Sounds good! We sometimes just buy pizza dough at the deli section of the grocery store or at someplace like Trader Joes. DH occassionally does up a pizza on the BBQ grill. I haven't tried that myself yet and just use the regular oven - but it is a nice thing in the summer to keep the house from getting too hot!

On my bucket list is to learn how to twirl pizza dough! I love that hand tossed texture and have not mastered it yet. I just end up using a rolling pin instead most of the time.

We like to just put misc. leftovers on the pizzas so they are different everytime. It is a great way to use up bits of leftovers like ham, bacon, and veggies that would otherwise just land in an omelet at some point.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #131
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
In my case, that "assumes facts not in evidence." (Mom was not, and is not, worth a hoot as a cook.) DW and I taught ourselves. Love to cook, and love to eat out occasionally--anything from cheap korean and thai to James Beard awarded molecular gastronomy.

My Dad was actually a better cook than my Mom. He had previous jobs in his younger days as a grill cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #132

I also make my own pizza. I use a bread maker to make the dough.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #133

Spending Habits: Food & Drink

I did it the old fashion way, by hand. I love to see the dough rises, one thing I miss about making bread. The power of yeast. I have to look up how to make it with cauliflower, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #134

I go through spurts of cooking everything and spurts of not wanting to cook at all. DH treats the kitchen like he's allergic to it. I would have thought he'd try to learn a little more after a few years. It's not much fun to be the family's cook all the time. When I was w**king I would cook extra so we would have leftovers, a lot.

I have DS at home for a few more months and I'm teaching him a few tricks. He makes great ribs and steak. Veggies are simple. Now he needs to learn how to do some less expensive items.

A couple of months ago I took the plunge into sous vide, steak, chicken, and other things. Eggs poached in the shell are amazing. OMG why eat out when you can cook better than many restaurants?

I don't keep a budget. I just make sure we don't spend too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum