Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My youngest (still in high school) is close to finishing their license.

Knowing I'm more than a little nervous in small planes, they graciously offered the back seat the day their instructor had them practicing stall recoveries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Never quite managed to fly backwards, but I was practicing slow flight once. Lined up a "country mile" and pointed into the wind. It took over 10 minutes to make that mile. I was carrying quite a bit of power with the flaps at 20 degrees. The stall warning was screaming the whole time but I never stalled - which is what I was working on at the time. YMMV
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.

The OP lives in Austria! So a Porsche can be driven and enjoyed as designed. My bucket list isn't that long, but to drive on the 'ring is one of them. A new 714 would be the perfect car for that!
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:19 AM   #163

It depends on how you define sports car.... I did just order a Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 CCLB, 4x4.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sports car?
Old 07-12-2017, 06:27 AM   #164

Sports car?

Original owner of a low mile 1997 Porsche 993 C4S bought a couple of years after retirement that happily still resides in my garage. Replaced Ferrari bought before retirement. Figured I ought to be a little more prudent with no paycheck. Maintenance on the Ferrari was heart stopping...
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On a whim, picked up a 2007 Solara convertable last week. Private deal. Low mileage, garaged in winter, everything in good order sold me. Plus, I very much like Toyota product.

Hardly a sports car but it is very comfortable.

It is very unlike me to buy something like this on a whim. DW is concerned!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #166

Any experiences here with a Lotus Evora? Have been admiring it from a distance but never actually driven one.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sports car?
Old 07-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #167

Sports car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Any experiences here with a Lotus Evora? Have been admiring it from a distance but never actually driven one.

Have owned Lotus Elans ('67 convertible, '68 coupe and a '72 plus 2) and a '70 Europa, which the Evora only shares a common name with: these others being Colin Chapman creations from the heyday of Lotus.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
On a whim, picked up a 2007 Solara convertable last week. Private deal. Low mileage, garaged in winter, everything in good order sold me. Plus, I very much like Toyota product.

Hardly a sports car but it is very comfortable.

It is very unlike me to buy something like this on a whim. DW is concerned!
This would be my idea of a sports car. Like the look of them and I think I wouldnt need a shoe horn to get me in and out of it.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:56 AM   #169
gone traveling

why is it that people with sports cars like to post pictures?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1586682.jpg (319.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 1586680.jpg (483.5 KB, 46 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

I have been in numerous sports car including high end. Maybe it is my age but i do not find them comfortable in the least. Sister is on her third Miata. I don't even want to borrow it when we visit.

One exception was a Chrysler Crossfire rental that we had for a week. We found it very comfortable and easy to drive. I would not thank you for a Vette.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I have been in numerous sports car including high end. Maybe it is my age but i do not find them comfortable in the least. Sister is on her third Miata. I don't even want to borrow it when we visit.

One exception was a Chrysler Crossfire rental that we had for a week. We found it very comfortable and easy to drive. I would not thank you for a Vette.
+1 that echos my post, glad Im not the only one.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:04 AM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Well, I'll stipulate that they have a good reputation but IMO it's more due to good marketing than to the street cars being anything really exceptional. For example, the 911 design with that engine hung behind the rear axle derives from the VW beetle. It is not something a car designer starting with a blank sheet of paper would ever draw. But they invested a lot of marketing money, including doing a lot of racing, and built an image. One of the cliche 911racing images has a front view of a car storming through a corner with the inside front wheel lifted off the track surface. That's because there is a humongous front anti-roll (aka "sway") bar needed to reduce the adhesion of the front to balance the poor adhesion at the back due to the far aft CG. AFIK no serious Porsche race car ever used the rear engine design. Definitely nothing from the 904 (my dream car) forward. So the current cars benefit from the marketing legacy but they also, I'm sure, handle well.

Porsche also benefited from weak competition in the US market. The pony cars all featured oxcart (solid rear axle) suspensions. The Corvette suspensions were better but the cars were/are too heavy to really be a sports car. (I know, I know, some people will vehemently disagree.) Lotus had the Elan, which handled like a dream but was seriously compromised as a daily driver. The Lotus Seven and Europa were even less useful, but any of the three would blow a 911 into the weeds on a twisty course. Alfa was around for a while in the 70s, but with a hopelessly uncompetitive DeDion rear axle design.

Finally, even if there is a tiny advantage it will be invisible in a street car because they are driven at the limit only accidentally. A Good Thing, too, as being at the limit on the street is dangerous for many reasons. So ... no, I don't think the Porsches are anything special compared to other modern cars that are designed with similar objectives.
I disagree, but then I'm a huge Porsche fanboy, so feel free to discount my opinion. Here are some FACTS:

In German motor journalism, it's kind of a big deal how fast a performance car can do a lap on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. That tells you more than just the number of bhp, or how fast it can accelerate from 60-80km/h. Here's a list of the fastest lap times ever recorded by auto motor und sport (always the same driver, weather conditions obviously vary): Rundenzeiten Nürburgring-Nordschleife - AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT

All these are normal production cars licensed for road use, not race cars. You will find 6 different 911s among the top 17, all with the less-than-optimal rear engine. If you are interested in what Porsche engineers can do with a mid-engine layout, look no further than #1.

So, no: Porsches are special. They are the finest performance cars in the world.

Congratulations to the OP! You made a great choice.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:06 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
It depends on how you define sports car.... I did just order a Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 CCLB, 4x4.
Nice!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #174
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_Scarlet View Post
Did you buy a fancy sports car when you retired?

I have my eye on a nearly new Porsche Boxster but don't want to be a cliché
"Cliché is in the eye of the envious beholder as you cruise past with the top down."
FmrLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:25 AM   #175
Full time employment: Posting here.

Porsche fan too, my third. A 2002 911 bought in late '07 with 30k on it for $32k. Sticker was $92k. Now have 58k on it, could sell it for $23k easy, maybe a bit more. Nothing depreciates faster than a new Porsche, or holds its value better than an old one. I do my own wrenching, and.believe in PM, so costs have been minimal, but I preemptively replaced the RMS, IMS bearing, water pump, oil separator, coolant tank, installed the IMS Guard, etc. Only failures, most from wear, none catastrophic or debilitating were oil sending unit, headlight switch, ignition swith contact module, one radiator fan resistor, motor mounts, and passenger window regulator cable. I installed PSS9s, low temp tstat. Really enjoy driving it.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
I disagree, but then I'm a huge Porsche fanboy, so feel free to discount my opinion. Here are some FACTS:

In German motor journalism, it's kind of a big deal how fast a performance car can do a lap on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. That tells you more than just the number of bhp, or how fast it can accelerate from 60-80km/h. Here's a list of the fastest lap times ever recorded by auto motor und sport (always the same driver, weather conditions obviously vary): Rundenzeiten Nürburgring-Nordschleife - AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT

All these are normal production cars licensed for road use, not race cars. You will find 6 different 911s among the top 17, all with the less-than-optimal rear engine. If you are interested in what Porsche engineers can do with a mid-engine layout, look no further than #1.

So, no: Porsches are special. They are the finest performance cars in the world.

Congratulations to the OP! You made a great choice.
+100.. Thanks for the link! 5 of the top 10 cars are Porsche. That says it all, period... I was a little surprise Ferrari only had 2 cars in the top 40..

My 2009 Boxster S came in at 116 fastest car on the track... Not too bad, just glad to be on the list ... Did not buy for speed but rather for the handling and the open top driving experience.
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

I've had lot's of sports cars, mostly Vettes. C4's thru C6's. Actually had a C7 for a short time too. Each was quicker and faster than the other. I've found that as I get older, I still want the performance but these days I want comfort and luxury just as much (maybe more). A couple of things I've learned as I got older, there's always something out there that's quicker and faster and there are a lot of better (or maybe crazier?) drivers.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Porsche fan too, my third. A 2002 911 bought in late '07 with 30k on it for $32k. Sticker was $92k. Now have 58k on it, could sell it for $23k easy, maybe a bit more. Nothing depreciates faster than a new Porsche, or holds its value better than an old one. I do my own wrenching, and.believe in PM, so costs have been minimal, but I preemptively replaced the RMS, IMS bearing, water pump, oil separator, coolant tank, installed the IMS Guard, etc. Only failures, most from wear, none catastrophic or debilitating were oil sending unit, headlight switch, ignition swith contact module, one radiator fan resistor, motor mounts, and passenger window regulator cable. I installed PSS9s, low temp tstat. Really enjoy driving it.
Your post brought back fun memories of my 2001 Boxster S (81k miles). I did all the same repairs you did with the exception of the IMS/RMS/Clutch. That was gong to be my next project before I found a 2009 Boxster S with 17K miles. Too good to pass up for $33K ($71K list price)... On the 2001 I had to do the ignition switch twice. They will go out without any warning. Kept an extra one on hand just in case
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sports car?
Old 07-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #179

Sports car?

Porsche is an iconic sports car brand, producing highly desirable automobiles that have stood the test of time and race tracks. The only other brand that equals, or surpasses it, is Ferrari.

That is not to say that there aren't many other highly desirable brands like Aston Martin, Lamborghini, McLaren, Lotus, BMW, Mercedes, Pagani (and other specialty manufacturers) etc., but Porsche and Ferrari are first in the Pantheon of sports car manufacturers IMHO.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #180

DD1 is on a forum where the sports car question often comes up. In her forum it always ends with:
Miata stands for:
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

I don't think they're as well heeled as some here so a good Porche or Ferrari are off the table.

Me, right now I'd rather Kitesurfers Transit van he set up as an adventure vehicle than a sports car.