Sports car?

Cap_Scarlet

Recycles dryer sheets
Did you buy a fancy sports car when you retired?

I have my eye on a nearly new Porsche Boxster but don't want to be a cliché :)

....or maybe you 'treated' yourself to something else as a retirement gift...from you...to you?

Had my sports cars while I was working. Now I'd rather have a car that I can rely on and not have to pay an arm and leg for maintenance and repairs, even though I have enough dollars to do that if I want to. So I bought a Mazda 6. Nice car, semi-fun to drive, but reliable and inexpensive to maintain.

get a zl1 convertible, that's what i'm getting

Yes ! next spring when DW and I are both retired we will get a sports car . I have already looked at the Porsche Boxter and decided it is more problem then I want . Some cars that I am looking at and this is just opinion but check out the maintenance on the Porsche.
If you like the Porsche mid engine , check out the Toyota MR II real dependable and cheap to maintain.
Probably the top rated roadster for the money are the Mazda Miatas.
Tons of Camaro's Mustangs out there used ones are pretty cheap and easy to maintain.

I know this is crazy as hell but we took one of the Fiat 500 Abarth's out for a test drive . We loved it . It seemed like we were driving a go cart on public roads . ...........But again they are not one of the top rated cars by any means.
The old days I used to rebuild Triumphs and MG's so easy to work on . Older brother still does Jags.

Bought a new Corvette about every 3 years before and after I retired. As I got older I found I still wanted the high performance but also wanted something a lot more comfortable, luxurious and easier to get in and out of so I switch to a mid size high performance SUV. They actually cost more than the Vetts but it fills my need for speed and in much more comfort.

Bought a 1971 VW Beetle - something to keep me busy (restoring) in my post-engineering days.

Seriously looking at other toys...maybe an older BMW roadster if I can find the right one.

You can buy Mercedes benz SL 55 or 63 AMG and get 500 supercharged horses for around 20-30K. Lots of value, but when it breaks down, bend over

You can buy Mercedes benz SL 55 or 63 AMG and get 500 supercharged horses for around 20-30K. Lots of value, but when it breaks down, bend over

Yes, I read an article where the dealership wanted $57K to rebuild the engine... the guy did it himself....

Just traded my 2001 Boxster S with 81K mile for a 2009 Boxster S with 17K miles. Owned the 2001 Boxster for 8 years. The Boxster is a great sports car and you get way more "bang-for-the-buck" vs the 911. I was seriously thinking of moving to the 911, but I do not like the convertible look and it was really hard to justify the extra money for the 911. Even if I did not want a convertible I would have went with the Cayman S which is basically a had-top Boxster with a higher tuned engine. IMHO there is nothing like the handling of the mid-engine design. The car was made to be driven hard and on winding roads. So much fun to drive... The Boxster is not know for throw you back into the seat power. If that is what you want get a Corvette. The only down side to any Porsche is the maintenance cost. I did all my own work on the 2001 Boxster. Did not take it to the shop once, so I save a lot of money doing my own work (hobby). They are extremely expensive to take into a dealer for maintenance. If you do not work on cars make sure you have a factory warranty.

Didn't buy an expensive sports car- bought a 2007 Pontiac Solstice, the least expensive 2 seat car I could find at the time. Still have it, only about 7500 miles but still fun to drive.

My sports car is 99 GMC Suburban with a big block and modified ecu.

Comfortable as a living room armchair, fast when needed, great visibility all around, huge low end torque with a 4.11 diff.. 50/50 front to rear weight distribution gives good handling, and in several Fire dept. tests, will not get blown over until crosswind is over 95 MPH. And it hauls my 18 foot kayak with ease. Had it since 2001. Oh yeah, it can tow pretty big trailers too.

Sucks up gas at a ferocious rate, but that is OK, with a 45 gallon tank.

Probably not. I had a '75 Corvette in my 20's and DW had an '01 Audi TT in her mid 40's, so we may be cured. Our current sports car has a main, jib and asymmetrical spinnaker and cost more than any sports car, short of an exotic. If I was going to buy a bonafide sports car today, the Porsche Cayman would be first on our list...

Last edited:
I'll tell you what's a nice looking new Sports Car is the Lexus LC. Just about the most comfortable 471 hp you'll ever sit in.

2018 Lexus LC - Luxury Coupe | Lexus.com

But, alas, $92K is a little too rich for my blood. I'll keep my BMW 5-series, thank you very much.....it fits me just like a well worn glove.

I did get a Porsche Twin Turbo when I first retired, but never used it so I sold it. I now have a sports sedan, it gets used every day.

Attachments

• Porsche Left Side.jpg
    Porsche Left Side.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Rear.JPG
    Rear.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 81
My retirement present was a brand new 2003 GMC 4WD pickup truck that replaced the 18-year-old '85 Chevy pickup. It now has 97k miles on it and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon. It probably will be the last pickup truck I own though because at 67 I just don't use that capability much anymore.

Maybe I'll get a sports car then....

I did get a Porsche Twin Turbo when I first retired, but never used it so I sold it. I now have a sports sedan, it gets used every day.

Nice car.. The 996 turbo is a great car. The engine does not have the "dreaded" IMS bearing issue like the non-turbo 996/997 and Boxster engines up to model year 2008. People are starting to realize that and the value of the 996/997 Turbo's are holding their values and have even increase the last couple of years.

My retirement present was a newer minivan (2001 Windstar) and a pop-up camper (new old stock) so I, DW, and my 2 and 4 year old sons could go camping. That trailer has been west to Wyoming and SD Black Hills twice, northern MN, Maine twice, Disney World, Arkansas Buffalo River, and many many points in between. Trailer is 18 years old now but has been lightly used the past 5 years (HS phase). Opened it up to check things out and do some maintenance a few weeks ago and spent many nights "camping" in the back yard.

Back
Top Bottom