SS Online Application

Yep. I signed up for SS in Oct. using the online application. With the exception of having to mail them a copy of my birth certificate and DD214, everything was done online.

I also did it completely by on-line application. A week or so later someone from SS made a follow-up phone call, their information agreed with mine. That was it, I didn't have to show any papers or badges.

Did it 4 times, works just fine. You may or may not get any feedback from the SSA and, if you do not, you have to have faith as the site does not give you much in the way of information except "a decision has not been made yet". You may get the $$ before they even change that. I heard that something like 10,000 apply every day now so you have to give them some slack.

BTW the on-line application thing is not new as it has been around since the year 2000 as DW applied the first time then.

I used the online application process early in '08; had to mail DD214 & birth certificate to the local SSA office; other than that, everything was done electronically & worked just like it was supposed to.

Can't ask for more than that.

I used the online application process early in '08; had to mail DD214 & birth certificate to the local SSA office; other than that, everything was done electronically & worked just like it was supposed to.

Can't ask for more than that.

Totally agree; it was a piece of cake for both me several years ago and, more recently, my wife.

Be nice, but initial application #1 DW 2000, #2 Mine 2002, Withdrawals of both 2008, reapplication #3 Mine 2008, #4 DW 2008. All 4 Applications done on-line.

Yep. I signed up for SS in Oct. using the online application. With the exception of having to mail them a copy of my birth certificate and DD214, everything was done online.

Just curious REWahoo.....why did you have to provide DD214? Is that because you retired from the military?
I spent 6 years active so will I also have to provide that?

Just curious REWahoo.....why did you have to provide DD214? Is that because you retired from the military?

Not to answer for REWahoo, but I believe SS adds bonus earnings to your military service years. This is done automatically for years after 1968 but you have to show proof of service prior to 1968 to receive the bonus for those years. Don't get too excited as I don't believe it adds very much to your benefit amount.:(

No, I'm not retired military, similar to you I spent 8 years on active duty. I provided a copy of my DD 214 because they asked for it, I suppose to confirm the small additional credit for military service.

Edit to add - Bikerdude is correct.

As REW said, only if you want to receive the additional benefits of the military wage credit...

For those of you serving in the current millenium (I retired in 2002), I believe that the wage credit ended after 2001. In addition Social Security's annual mailed statements now generally include the wage credit, which they figured out when they noticed that the data with your Social Security number was coming from the Department of Defense. I think that change to the statements began happening in 2005 or 2006.

No, I'm not retired military, similar to you I spent 8 years on active duty. I provided a copy of my DD 214 because they asked for it, I suppose to confirm the small additional credit for military service.

Edit to add - Bikerdude is correct.

Boy, learn something new every day. This one covers me:

If you served in the military in 1957 through 1977, you are credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar quarter in which you received active duty basic pay.
Don't know what that will mean for me but I'll find out later I guess.

That's why I keep reading this forum. Thanks REWahoo.

As Nords noted, your Estimated Benefits Statement probably already includes this additional credit - mine did.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right about that. In that case, you have to produce the DD214 or be square.
That's interesting. I never knew all of that.

As REW said, only if you want to receive the additional benefits of the military wage credit...

In addition Social Security's annual mailed statements now generally include the wage credit, which they figured out when they noticed that the data with your Social Security number was coming from the Department of Defense. I think that change to the statements began happening in 2005 or 2006.

Then why do they still need a DD214?

In any event for those that have military service in the indicated periods, you can request copies of your DD Form 214 (BTW the SSA requests either the original or "stamped" copies). The ones the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) send to you do contain a "Seal" to attest to its (their) authenticity. Here is a link to the NPRC Site: VA DD214 Request

Interesting thing about recent articles I have read about the online filing is that they don't require mailing in any documents. They talked as if this is a new process. Anyone file in the last month?

The ones the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) send to you do contain a "Seal" to attest to its (their) authenticity. Here is a link to the NPRC Site: VA DD214 Request

As many ex-military folks do, I have many copies of my DD214, but none have any kind of a seal. On a prior post about 6 months ago, it was noted that one with a "seal" was required by SSA.

I applied for a new DD214 on the web site and eventually received copies of the three DD214s (I had 3 different AD service dates) that have been issued to me and none had any kind of a "seal" or other authentication that I could denote.

My Q now is: does the SSA actually require this "seal" or will that accept a copy w/o a seal? Who here has experience in having SSA approval W/O such a seal?

SSA I believe wants originals or "seal". When I got mine from NPRC the "seal" was a embossed area in the lower right hand corner. Kind of like the old notarized "pliers type" would put on paper. You will not see it unless you are looking for it, or you "feel" the lower right hand area of each 214. They issue you one for each "period" of service (time between "taking of the oath" on reenlistment or appointments for change in status (ie., enlisted to officer/warrant officer status, etc.,). If they come without a "seal" I would just keep the NPRC "package" they send leaving the cover letter attached so the SSA can readily understand that they did come from the NPRC.

When I got mine from NPRC the "seal" was a embossed area in the lower right hand corner. Kind of like the old notarized "pliers type" would put on paper.

Bingo! I located those documents and, just as you indicated OAG, they do include the "seal" after all. I was looking for something more noticeable. Thanks for the information.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom