Starting last week of work!

Sarah S

Recycles dryer sheets
I am somewhat in shock. Happy excited and definitely less stressed but nervous too.
I have been saying goodbye to patients for 2 months and last week started having the last day I will work with you conversations with staff as this is school vacation week and several people have taken it off.... I will absolutely miss the people part of this but not the rest of it.

I already have vacation and family activities planned that will keep me super busy until midJune so I think/hope the transition will be easy!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Nikki MD. Soon to be Nikki FIRE!

Woo hoo! I'm so happy for you.

As a physician also, I want to give you a heads up that you will run into some people who express their view "what a waste" it is for all that medical training to be unused. I respond that I worked more than full time for over 30 years (there were some years when I put in 3000 hours) and I have paid my dues, thank you very much.

Congratulations!!! Enjoy the next phase of your life!

Congratulations Nikki ! It must seem slightly surreal. I look forward to reading about your adventures in your next chapter !

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy every last minute of your well earned retirement!

]I respond that I worked more than full time for over 30 years (there were some years when I put in 3000 hours) and I have paid my dues, thank you very much.

What a great, and honest, repsonse!

Best wishes on your retirement!

As a physician also, I want to give you a heads up that you will run into some people who express their view "what a waste" it is for all that medical training to be unused. I respond that I worked more than full time for over 30 years (there were some years when I put in 3000 hours) and I have paid my dues, thank you very much.

It's interesting to me that people seem to say this about medical professions, but not anything else. If I retire in my 40s, like I hope to, and someone says to me "What a waste of all that IT and Engineering training...", I'll have to quickly twist the knife and tell them that I'll be more than occupied by using my IT and engineering skills to build and play with a gaming PC for quite some time. :angel:

In other words: "Haters gonna hate."

It's interesting to me that people seem to say this about medical professions, but not anything else.

My boss actually said that me retiring is "a waste of talent". I said something like "awwwwwwwww, that's so sweet, thanks for the compliment". There's was nothing more he could say.

Thank you for the warning. I have got a lot of "but you are too young" but not that one yet. If I may I will borrow your response!

Everyone thank you so much!
Last Monday survived!

Best wishes
Nikki

It's interesting to me that people seem to say this about medical professions, but not anything else. If I retire in my 40s, like I hope to, and someone says to me "What a waste of all that IT and Engineering training...", I'll have to quickly twist the knife and tell them that I'll be more than occupied by using my IT and engineering skills to build and play with a gaming PC for quite some time. :angel:

In other words: "Haters gonna hate."

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've been in the IT field for almost 30 years, doing some kind of computer-related job since I was 18 years old. I'm now past the mid-40 mark, and I hope to (semi?) retire in another two years.

If anybody ever made such a remark to me, that me retiring early was a waste (almost like it's my duty to keep working), I'd probably have to bite my tongue and come up with a diplomatic response. And that reminds me of a quote I read somewhere about diplomacy...it's being able to tell somebody to "Go to hell!" in such a way they look forward to the trip :)

Congratulations! I'm a week behind you, so I expect you to run interference for me and give me a heads up on any problems you encounter as a new retiree... -*grin*

BTW, Doc, I get this pain in my right eye when I drink iced tea...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom